DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti Karen Apparel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I have never been approached except to ask questions. Like @karlblessing, I think a minimalist approach is best. Don't draw attention to yourself but also don't look like you are trying to hide; act like you belong there. I'd also add that you should fly with consideration. I fly in a lot of my local parks and I have seen other people's drones in the air flying and hovering only 10 or 20 feet above people. They "look around" in a haphazard manner and then buzz off quickly. It's annoying and gives off creepy vibes. I always fly above the tree line and keep to the sides so I'm not flying over people (keeping it legal also!). I'm not singling out people when I'm flying.

I've posted numerous shots in my town's social media groups and the only comments I've had calling out my drone was "oh, we saw your drone flying, thanks for sharing the shots". This happened when filming a fireworks show and taking some nighttime shots of a local college building.

Recently I was asked to take shots of a building from 2 different locations in a neighborhood. I felt a bit weird parking my car, getting out and launching my drone. Each time somebody saw me and was watching me, which I can understand. I just waved as I was leaving...no problems and it was all friendly.

Reactions: dirkclod
A buddy of mine that just got his part 107, gave me this vest and called it the anti Karen. I took him out a few times with his new and first drone. Because he will be shooting a lot of real estate for residential homes, he doesn’t want to have to deal with the self-righteous people if possible. So he got himself one of these vests. Also got me one too for helping them out.

I already wear neon shirts so I can be easily found if someone has an issue. I’ve never really been bothered shooting real estate yet. But I’m sure overtime thus may change. Wearing the vest is worth a shot, although Karens will be Karens.

No offense to anyone actually named Karen and who does not display Karen like attributes.

View attachment 158453
Every one of us that flies a drone has our own approach. If the OP is comfortable wearing this vest then let him be. I agree that using the "Karen" reference is offensive and should be avoided. I have a couple of friends named Karen and it's unfair to them.

Making derogatory remarks about a female name Karen should indeed be taken as offensive. Why use an offensive reference and then apologize? Better to just not use offensive references. Just my opinion.
I want one and it’s because of my number 1 rule of Drone Flying! “Never let them see you take off”! Every time I did that, they hang around and bug you until you land!

If you have something to say, keep it here rather than stalking me elsewhere...

What you don't know of course I used to work with a lot of the old curmudgeons at the camera shop dealing in 90% fillm cameras , one of which was a navy photography for 20 years out of his 50 years of working professionally so a lot of my opinions and knowledge of how it used to be done came from him.
Are they a member here ?

A buddy of mine that just got his part 107, gave me this vest and called it the anti Karen. I took him out a few times with his new and first drone. Because he will be shooting a lot of real estate for residential homes, he doesn’t want to have to deal with the self-righteous people if possible. So he got himself one of these vests. Also got me one too for helping them out.

I already wear neon shirts so I can be easily found if someone has an issue. I’ve never really been bothered shooting real estate yet. But I’m sure overtime thus may change. Wearing the vest is worth a shot, although Karens will be Karens.

No offense to anyone actually named Karen and who does not display Karen like attributes.

View attachment 158453
Everyone....! We have been through this discussion over and over. There are two schools of thought. Overt and covert. I belong to the COVERT school. FLY STEALTH. Hide in the shade of a tree, or bushes. Also stay the hell away from people- especially those who wear a uniform (even street cleaners). Don't ask. Don't engage. If I lose one millisecond of total concentration on what I am doing, I usually mess things up.

I've yet to have a major negative experience flying a drone, or being a photographer way before then. But can also depend on the location and how you present yourself. Most of my interaction ends up being an educational one with the approacher typically geeking out. And most of the time I'm approached it's usually by men, or the occasional kids with their folks.

But I'm also not trying to look stealthy, rather I'm simply visible and behaving like I belong there.

When I see the big jacket that has stuff on it like "FAA Pilot", it makes me think of back in the day when all the sudden everyone had to have a photo vest to appear 'professional', even though most of the actual "pros" at the time really didn't bother with them so much. We usually just carried what we needed to for the task.
A vest was so you weren't getting run over by somebody not paying any attention or you are directing traffic.

This thread will be closed if the incivility continues (most have been deleted).

Reactions: dirkclod and FLDave
This thread is a thumbs down for me. Forget the show and tell. Just fly and handle situations as needed. Appropriately, and as respectfully as possible.

This Thread has ended.

Reactions: TonyPHX
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50