DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you experienced a Karen, male or female?

Was you kaaren Male Or female?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had one experience with miss karen and she had to tell me I couldn't fly that thing in national parks, we weren't in a national park. I just nodded and responded......that's not the only place restricted and named off several more, she just walked away in a huff.

Talk about KAREN...my next door nightmare Male Karen used to go mental when all I used to do was take off out from garden, then immediately fly 250m away and take some wicked shots of a castle near me.

He came knocking once, having only moved In a few months ago, and me being here 25 years, maybe he would act the big man, pass..but he was peed off.

"I want to speak to you about your drone" he said

"Can't you go f*** off up the forrest and fly (which is few miles from me)

I did something totally out of character for me, especially when some stranger acts the bigman.

In a totally calm, relaxed tone I basically went through all the usual about the weight, the rules etc, but all he could say Is "we are not getting anywhere here, are we!" and he would walk off.

BUT, EVEN more unusal for me, I tried to maintain the conversation EVEN AFTER he said... "What about my naked kids In the back garden In summer?" and "What about when me and my wife are getting to bed"

I was blown away, but still kept 100% calm and said "Mate, I'm not being funny, but 1: I ain't no perv or pedo, 2: I always take off from the front, go straight up to 100m, then off to the castle.

all he could say was "you are Just not getting It are you, we are not getting anywhere here"

STILL, I did my best to explain the rules and even offered him my Operator ID and Flyer ID and the number for the CAA, but no matter how hard I tried, no Joy.

Guess what he said?

"We are not getting anywhere here, are we"
followed by "If I go on google maps and even see so much as the roof or any of my house, I am going to report you"

I felt like saying, "well, best you go report Google Maps, Bing, Google Earth, Street car etc etc etc", but I didn't

I just gave up and offered him the number for the local police and Aviation Authority, but he stormed off, so I gave up and kept doing what I was doing, flying at the castle, 100% legal and ain't heard from him In months.

I see him few times a week, as he lives right next door to me, tried to say hello a few times, but he Ignored me.

Ah well, I did try.

Any one else ever experienced any Karens? male or female?

That was my first EVER and still I'm shocked how cool, calm and collected I was.

The old me, when he mentioned the kids nude In summer bit, I would have gone from 0-100 in a split second.

Matt (now got air 2s and enjoy traveling to the ocean and castles etc etc here In the UK.

Matt
"Not getting anywhere" seems to mean, you're not buckling under to his demands. As long as you're not peeking in his windows, there's not much he can do or worry about.

Reactions: djimkov
This thread should be locked, in my opinion, there is no more relevant info to be said.
Confrontations do happen, it's normal for a drone flyer at this point.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: djimkov and jaymc
Maybe you can report THEM?
For sure, yes! Of course, you should report them if they threaten, or they're not being nice at all.

Two Karen encounters, both male, and both in the past year.
One was a neighbor who followed the drone to my house (was flying over the greenspace behind our rural development) and threatened to shoot it down. He was paid a visit by the Sheriff.
Second encounter was a tipsy fisherman that chased 3 of us away from the beach where we were flying and he was fishing. He was drunkenly aggressive and so we just packed up and moved a block away.

What about the fact that they threatened your property with gunplay? Maybe you can report THEM?
I think their mostly mouthing off and besides I really think its kids flying cheap drones around there neighborhood. When ever I fly outside my property I'm at 400 feet and moving pretty fast. I go out to the highway to check on the construction project and check traffic, then right back home again at 400 ft.

Two Karen encounters, both male, and both in the past year.
One was a neighbor who followed the drone to my house (was flying over the greenspace behind our rural development) and threatened to shoot it down. He was paid a visit by the Sheriff.
Second encounter was a tipsy fisherman that chased 3 of us away from the beach where we were flying and he was fishing. He was drunkenly aggressive and so we just packed up and moved a block away.
I'm with you. I would have definitely registered a complaint with the police. If for no other reason to establish a record. I do not consider threats idle. Too many people solving minor disputes with violence today. Too many paranoid psychotic people out there. They see a drone and in their minds it is spying on them. When I was on facebook, I marveled at how many threads that were simply not worth response went on forever as a livid argument. Something very wrong going on here and it seems that is becoming more global than isolated. A form of mass hypnosis intentional or otherwise? Regardless, nothing to ignore.

Reactions: Torque
Confrontations do happen, it's normal for a drone flyer at this point.

No, it is not normal in the US. It's unusual to have a nasty confrontation. This is another issue that gets totally blown out of proportion. It does happen occasionally. But don't let the sensational youtube videos make it seem normal. The sky is not falling.

Things may be different in Mallorca

It,'s Christmas Every parent with a kid that gets exited while watching you Fly are all karens for at least a few weeks ;)

I think their mostly mouthing off and besides I really think its kids flying cheap drones around there neighborhood. When ever I fly outside my property I'm at 400 feet and moving pretty fast. I go out to the highway to check on the construction project and check traffic, then right back home again at 400 ft.
I think this is your first loss flight
Both your loss flights were well below 400ft, the recent on reached 70ft, the first one 212ft.
How many times have you successfully flown over that area below 212ft?

I was operating my drone legally on the beach, which was about 50 feet outside of a park that was a no-fly zone. The Karen and her husband approached me while flying and told me that they were going to report me for flying a drone in the park. I told them I wasn't in the park but they didn't agree, so I told them to wait a few minutes while I landed my drone and I would talk with them.

After landing, I pulled out my mobile and showed them where I was standing and where the no-fly zone was. They agreed I was flying legally.

We proceeded to have an interesting conversation where they told me some drone cowboy was filming them as they were walking in the park, flying to within about 10 feet. Over the last few years, they reported four buzzing bandits who were operating within the park, flying illegally.

These flight fumblers give us good guys a bad reputation. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
The thread that never gets posted: "Still haven't been confronted and hassled yet!"

Think about it.

Cousin to the thread, "Haven't been carjacked yet... discuss"
Hah. I made a post like that last year and received a number of negative comments from folks who were disappointed that there was no conflict when two people introduced themselves while I was flying at the beach. Her name was Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique