DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot

letlmt

Reactions
Hi,

I am new to drones and have purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom to use on my sailboat. I am hoping to learn how to hand catch it.

I have been told that I should attach a handle to the bottom of the drone to make it easier and safer. Does anybody know where I can find such a handle? I have a friend with a 3D printer who said that he could print it for me if there was a file for it.

Any direction on where I should look would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum! :)

I have been told that I should attach a handle to the bottom of the drone to make it easier and safer. Does anybody know where I can find such a handle?
I wouldn't recommend attaching anything beneath the drone (since it could confuse the downward sensors).

There are a fews ways to hand catch. For example:

And if you disable the downward sensors, the drone will not attempt to ascend when you reach up and grab up.

Practice, practice, practice on dry land until you are very comfortable hand launching/landing before you attempt this on a boat, and then wear gloves when you do.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup.

I am a new member having just purchased a mavic2i would like to meet with someone in the Rockledge cocoa viera Melbourne area of Brevard county Florida who would be willing to help a beginner I am going to Ireland in April and would like to be a competent operator.

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Zoom, Fly safe and have fun!

Hey letlmt, welcome. A lot of us beginners here these days. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

I hope to someday be able to launch from a pontoon rental I and my wife do a few times a year here in WNC.

One other thing, in addition to hand-landing, that you should be aware of, is the fact that significant amounts of steel in the boat frame, masts, could affect your compass. Don't know if the affect is the same on your bird as on my MA, but compass calibration might be tricky. Be careful and go slowly.

Thanks, I will have to experiment. I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue because the mast is aluminum and the hull is fiberglass. There is some stainless steel, but that is not magnetic. I think the only real steel may be encased in the keel, but that is pretty far away; although there is several hundred pounds of it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan