DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pixy Drone...No License Required?

Yuppers! something coming at you from 5 o'clock when you're flying VFR in a 152 is gonna hit you. That's when you'll be aware of them.

Flew VFR a bunch in the late 80s and 90s. Was working on my instrument rating when it just got too expensive to rent wet, so I gave up that dream, and moved on to hangliding! Then, after a few years of that I got married, lost my trim, Adonis figure to 10 extra pounds and Hangliding was kaput.

Thank the engineering gods for RC quads. I'm 60 now, with physical deteriorating, well, EVERYTHING, and I can sit in a chair and have more fun flying than I ever did behind the controls of an actual airplane.
I got my PPL in 1982, my instrument rating in 1984, and my multi in 1986. My plan was to always get a new rating instead of a BFR, but deteriorating finances put an end to that.

I had a roommate for a while who had a handglider, but I was always leery of that concept. No engine I could deal with, but no structure? I eventually bought a fat ultralight that had been converted to an LSA early on in that new realm.

I always fly my drones sitting down. My health has been up and down, but is now on a sustained upward track. Wish I could say the same for my finances...

But I realized a couple of days ago that there are now no drones that I actively want, that I don't already have...so how bad can it be?

1651515057383.png

It's not a toy though, those are not 5 year old kids in the add. In the US even if it's just for recreation you have to take a very simple safety test from the FAA called TRUST.
IMO, the proliferation of these seemingly innocuous devices is bad news for the good guys. The potential for perceived abuse is immense and it will affect all drone operators.

Speed in manual is mostly influenced by forward pitch angle. Don't know if limited Manual will pitch far enough to achieve max rated speed at full throttle.

However, as I mentioned in another thread the BIGGEST thing that's going to throw you off will be rate mode control vs. angle mode... Don't flip it to M before you've established some muscle memory and altered control reflexes in the sim... pitch and roll limits will not help that at all.

IMO, the proliferation of these seemingly innocuous devices is bad news for the good guys. The potential for perceived abuse is immense and it will affect all drone operators.
That's a good point, I seem to recall the guy from the FAA who does a lot of videos talking about when he got started. It involved a man who called the FAA irate because a kid hit him in the face with a toy drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60