DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Platinum Props Tested

I already shift batteries forward a bit. I see similar to you. Just touching the motors after flight you can feel the rears are hotter. Today I will try flying slower. I have tilt at 27. Going back to stock which is 25.
I'm using 20 deg tilt and averaging around 14m/s. I'm going to tilt the front motors forward next.

Might want to inquire with DJI, as its one of their selling features of the new props.

If you're flying your Mavic in locations where decibels are an issue, I think you should ask yourself if you should be flying there in the first place. I'm in no way and have never been part of the 'drone police' on this or any of the respected threads, but the laws are setup to not only protect the public buy also us as responsible pilots. If you are flying your UAV in populated areas where noise would be an issue, you should already have permission to do so therefore why do you need props that are more quiet?

My motors were really HOT with the new props. They are usually barely warm!

bob

Reactions: Dw911

bob

It looks like I burned out 1 of my Esc's. My last flight was fine, which was stock configuration. Today I try to fly and I get "1No.ESC Error" and aircraft cannot take off due to the error. The new props definitely put more load on the motors. Perhaps I damaged it with a previous flight. I did fly with heavy batteries 2 flights earlier, but last 2 flights were stock and I had no issues. Only today when I attempt to do another flight did I get the error.

It looks like I burned out 1 of my Esc's. My last flight was fine, which was stock configuration. Today I try to fly and I get "1No.ESC Error" and aircraft cannot take off due to the error. The new props definitely put more load on the motors. Perhaps I damaged it with a previous flight. I did fly with heavy batteries 2 flights earlier, but last 2 flights were stock and I had no issues. Only today when I attempt to do another flight did I get the error.

Alpha & Omega Semiconductor

That's the chip if you want to repair yourself. I do think they could use better cooling, and I'm going to try heat sinking them to airflow outside the shell.

Reactions: CyberNate
Alpha & Omega Semiconductor

That's the chip if you want to repair yourself. I do think they could use better cooling, and I'm going to try heat sinking them to airflow outside the shell.
I bought a used power/esc board and rear compass/GPS for $119. Anyway, I was having issues with my rear compasses burning out. Finally I can fix that along with the current ESC issue.

bob

Were you carrying any extra weight?
If this is happening with standard mavic fitted with platinum props its maybe not a good sign? With regard to maybe shorter motor life with platinum props fitted.
Often these things are a trade off, but not sure id want to trade shorter motor life for only a minute or so of extra and slightly quieter flying.
Think I'll wait till more people have tested them and see what the general feedback is before i try them

Reactions: Vilco
I bought a used power/esc board and rear compass/GPS for $119. Anyway, I was having issues with my rear compasses burning out. Finally I can fix that along with the current ESC issue.

Are you going to try any cooling mods on the new ESC board?

I really want to see what the Platinum ESC board looks like, and whether it will plug in to a regular Mavic. Who is going to be the first one to open a Platinum?

I wonder if attaching a voice recorder on the mavic and doing max fwd, max ascend and other maneuvers would be a better test. Hopefully the wind noise wouldn't drown it out...
This would capture the mavic at the most noisiest and keep the 'decibel' recording position fixed.

Are you going to try any cooling mods on the new ESC board?

I really want to see what the Platinum ESC board looks like, and whether it will plug in to a regular Mavic. Who is going to be the first one to open a Platinum?

No, I'll just be soldering it in and praying that it works when i get done. 16 solder points and plenty of chances for things to go wrong.

At least the rear motors can be soldered on the bench before putting the board in the aircraft.

I'll be doing something like this on the stock mosfets: Turnigy Superbrain 40A ESC - HeliFreak

I left the rear LED cover off, and pop the thin metal screens off the rear vents. Flying 40 min nose down, I'm not surprised the rear sensors are getting cooked as there's no real ventilation back there.

Were you carrying any extra weight?
If this is happening with standard mavic fitted with platinum props its maybe not a good sign? With regard to maybe shorter motor life with platinum props fitted.
Often these things are a trade off, but not sure id want to trade shorter motor life for only a minute or so of extra and slightly quieter flying.
Think I'll wait till more people have tested them and see what the general feedback is before i try them

Standard MP, I was mostly hovering at altitude, checking out the countryside. I usually fly distance flying @ 20-30 mph but either way, these motors were *HOT*!!

Plus, I didn't think they were much if any quieter :(

bob

Reactions: Dw911
Those props in the video have more pitch,than the standard ones! Any motor will over heat when it's "over proped", "too much pitch,or diamenter,or both." I can't say my MP with (stock props) is loud? Sure you can hear it,but it's not even close what I would call loud?o_O I guess the new props would work if you wanted it as quiet as possible,so you could be flying where you aren't supposed to be? Of course,I'm almost sure the orginal props will be in short supply,as to sell more of the "new and improved" one's! LOL!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_GREECE
I'm using 20 deg tilt and averaging around 14m/s. I'm going to tilt the front motors forward next.
Do u mind sharing some pics when u do this of how u do it?
In my head i imagine the mavic would fly more efficiently forward with the motors tilted a little forward as it would be more aerodynamic

Those props in the video have more pitch,than the standard ones! Any motor will over heat when it's "over proped", "too much pitch,or diamenter."

But what would be the mechanism for that? If the motors are getting hotter then either they are being cooled less or they are working harder, since heat dissipated in the motor should be a monotonic function of power output. Perhaps the new prop design leads to less airflow over the motor body but otherwise, if they were working harder then flight times should be reduced, which appears not to be the case. If they are actually working less hard then the heat generated in the motor should also be less, not more.

But what would be the mechanism for that? If the motors are getting hotter then either they are being cooled less or they are working harder, since heat dissipated in the motor should be a monotonic function of power output. Perhaps the new prop design leads to less airflow over the motor body but otherwise, if they were working harder then flight times should be reduced, which appears not to be the case. If they are actually working less hard then the heat generated in the motor should also be less, not more.
Higher pitch = More load on the motor = motor heat,up to the point of failure,if it's too much! You can easily see the diffrence in pitch, in the video. You can "over prop" a electric 3 D plane,and it will fly forever on a charge,at a reduced throttle setting. But if full power is applied,the "magic smoke" will appear,destroying the motor windings form a high amp current,or the ESC will be overloaded,and burn out from too much current! We once took a Piper Cub model for a young flyer,and installed a 12 X 6 prop (way too much for the motor). Then we set the high end point on his Tx throttle to 40%. It would fly around slowly (just what he needed,while learning) for 40 minutes on a 1200 mAh 3S battery.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet