DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New props for the mavic mini

Dji designed it to be under 250grams... That means they cut corners.. the quick change props take it to 255 grams. The spark props sound just like stock props. The weight of the drone is what makes the louder noise
yes it was designed to be light weight , but that does not mean that they cut corners, they have a massive RD department who design parts for their products and the props are no exception it was never meant to have big stiff props on it it is a small starter camera drone not a racing or high powered platform there is nothing wrong with your desire to modify your MM, but dont justify your actions by making statements about dji

Okay, I'm not trying to bash dji product, if I was I wouldn't have bought 3 mavic minis. I bought them to modify. My goal is to get close to a hour flight time out of it... In order to do that I will have to push the mavic mini to the limits and see if it can survive... I have to have a massive payload in order to do this. I have to stress test the motors, and escs. So far everything stays nice and cool. Barely warm to the touch... In order to fly with a bigger payload I need stiffer props. The mavic air props and spark props are a great solutions for this.... The spark props are close to the same design... Both 4 inches but have a slight different pitch... 4726 vs 4730. But the spark props are more stiff. If you're not interested in modifying your props then this thread isn't for you... But I will keep updating this thread and the battery thread for flight times...

If dji did the best they could then we wouldn't have mavic pros flying 45+ min and Sparks flying 40+ min or mavic airs flying 30+ min....

I think anyone would choose the master air screw props on the spark and mavic air over their stock props... It makes their nose tolerable... Anyways sorry for the rant..

I'm just trying to do all the trial and error for people who maybe interested in the same things I am.

Didn't mean to come off as bashing a great product.

Last edited:
Reactions: megamaster
Dji designed it to be under 250grams... That means they cut corners.. the quick change props take it to 255 grams. The spark props sound just like stock props. The weight of the drone is what makes the louder noise
DJI cut corners?

The safe assumption is that prop pitch, weight, motor KV, battery (W/h and C rating) and ESC components are all selected to to realise a target flight time for a given total weight.

You have proven this nicely- you added 50% additional battery capacity to realise less than 15% extra flight time.

It isn't the added weight that is causing the noise- it is that the prolusion system is revving its ring out to produce the necessary thrust to carry the extra battery. Lower efficiency combined with increased RPM is the issue.

If you manage to realise additional flight time with a prop swap your next issue will be if the inverter mosfets driving the motors have a high enough current rating followed by the C rating of the OEM 18650 cells.

Okay, I'm not trying to bash dji product, if I was I wouldn't have bought 3 mavic minis. I bought them to modify. My goal is to get close to a hour flight time out of it... In order to do that I will have to push the mavic mini to the limits and see if it can survive... I have to have a massive payload in order to do this. I have to stress test the motors, and escs. So far everything stays nice and cool. Barely warm to the touch... In order to fly with a bigger payload I need stiffer props. The mavic air props and spark props are a great solutions for this.... The spark props are close to the same design... Both 4 inches but have a slight different pitch... 30 vs 33. But the spark props are more stiff. If you're not interested in modifying your props then this thread isn't for you... But I will keep updating this thread and the battery thread for flight times...

If dji did the best they could then we wouldn't have mavic pros flying 45+ min and Sparks flying 40+ min or mavic airs flying 30+ min....

I think anyone would choose the master air screw props on the spark and mavic air over their stock props... It makes their nose tolerable... Anyways sorry for the rant..

I'm just trying to do all the trial and error for people who maybe interested in the same things I am.

Before you might justify your claim the design isn't the best it could you would need to demonstrate you could achieve your 60min flight duration while maintaining the other specs including sub 250gm weight. You won't be able to.

It is obvious the the key technologies that form the sum of the parts are brought in from the best in the business. DJI doesn't design OA, RF, image processors, camera sensors or any of the really clever stuff that enables the tech but they do seem to be the masters of assembly.

Reactions: old man mavic
Okay, I'm not trying to bash dji product, if I was I wouldn't have bought 3 mavic minis. I bought them to modify. My goal is to get close to a hour flight time out of it... In order to do that I will have to push the mavic mini to the limits and see if it can survive... I have to have a massive payload in order to do this. I have to stress test the motors, and escs. So far everything stays nice and cool. Barely warm to the touch... In order to fly with a bigger payload I need stiffer props. The mavic air props and spark props are a great solutions for this.... The spark props are close to the same design... Both 4 inches but have a slight different pitch... 30 vs 33. But the spark props are more stiff. If you're not interested in modifying your props then this thread isn't for you... But I will keep updating this thread and the battery thread for flight times...

If you get 60mins flight time it will fly like a pig. My guess is won't fly. You will need to add around 700gm ofLiPO battery to reach your target. Lets hope you continue though its a great experiment.

I have made an adapter to use mavic air props and spark props. Props can be quick changed now. It's still a work in progress
I want quick change props - Added weight is not an issue
Can't the Mavic or Spark quick change part currently used be re-fitted to
just screw on where the Mini props are now? Just an idea ?

you could try it i suppose but you could be creating issues with the powertrain of the drone

Well that is true
But the prop guards do that also
Perhaps run the new props [with prop guard mode on - only without the prop guards installed]
Maybe that would be about the same to the bird?

it has more to do with the actual way the ESCs and the motors cope with the different power requirements and the amount of torque imposed on the motors to push the bigger props around the weight difference would not be a factor

It can't be used factory because there is no motor shaft to hold the prop in alignment, and also props can't lock in position without a spacer... It hits metal on the bell housing.

It can't be used factory because there is no motor shaft to hold the prop in alignment, and also props can't lock in position without a spacer... It hits metal on the bell housing.

I just thought if you could simply adapt the existing threaded holes used now for the mini props to fit the existing quick change prop holders on top of the Motors of the Mavic or Spark
it might actually fly better than flying with a go-pro glued to the top of it as seen on videos from other Mini testers :cool:

Interesting discussion. New to the forum and a new Mini owner. Kind of been intrigued by the thought of retrofitting low volume props for filming events. A friend of mine suggested possibly scanning the low volume props available for the pro, substituting out the center for proper fit on the mini and then 3d printing them.

Interesting discussion. New to the forum and a new Mini owner. Kind of been intrigued by the thought of retrofitting low volume props for filming events. A friend of mine suggested possibly scanning the low volume props available for the pro, substituting out the center for proper fit on the mini and then 3d printing them.

I have thought about having some adapters machined, but you're talking about a lot of money... It's cheaper to just buy anafi motors and install them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag