DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New recreational/future pilot

WELCOME to the Forum you will find all the info you need right here !!
I would be happy to answer some questions for you If I can what specifically are you wondering about?
i have a question, if you could answer it. can i fly my drone legally in a city park? the park is south hills park in lebanon, pa. it's a city park and not a state park. i called the local police station and the officer had no idea of anything.

i have a question, if you could answer it. can i fly my drone legally in a city park? the park is south hills park in lebanon, pa. it's a city park and not a state park. i called the local police station and the officer had no idea of anything.
i know that people fly over by the va hospital grounds because its an open area.

More than likely the answer is YES But to do it safely would require a little fore-thought. Drones below the 250g limit you should have no problem. Over the limit requires planning to avoid people and other traffic.
You need to contact someone that can give you the written law or any city ordinances. City Hall or Your local Remote control guru can point you in the right direction BUT Know before you fly. I don't know of too many cities that ban drone use everywhere -especially parks.

More than likely the answer is YES But to do it safely would require a little fore-thought. Drones below the 250g limit you should have no problem. Over the limit requires planning to avoid people and other traffic.
You need to contact someone that can give you the written law or any city ordinances. City Hall or Your local Remote control guru can point you in the right direction BUT Know before you fly. I don't know of too many cities that ban drone use everywhere -especially parks.
Thanks, I did the FAA night flying course and the know before you fly course. I don't know of any local gurus and don't know how to find anyone. I wish i had a mentor in the area/

If you have the B4ufly app you can use that to be sure. below 250g go have fun IF in the rare event there is a drone flying ban in your area they will just ask you to stop nothing more.
Over 250g- Make sure with B4Ufly, Get clearance through an app with LAANC services if needed. Nothing to difficult to do (once you do it all the first time).

If you have the B4ufly app you can use that to be sure. below 250g go have fun IF in the rare event there is a drone flying ban in your area they will just ask you to stop nothing more.
Over 250g- Make sure with B4Ufly, Get clearance through an app with LAANC services if needed. Nothing to difficult to do (once you do it all the first time).
okay, ty. makes me feel a bit better knowing a park is not generally and open air assembly. scarcely populated except with ball fields and spectators.

The way you learn about local laws is not by calling the police or city administrators because that is like asking for permission which you'll likely not get. They probably knew full well there are no laws against flying drones in your city but they failed to tell you ok but instead pretended like they had no idea. You need to do a public records request and ask for any laws or ordinances related to drones, uavs, or model aircrafts. If there are none, you get that response instead of "we don't know" which is unacceptable. In America, when there are no laws prohibiting it, you are free to do it.

The way you learn about local laws is not by calling the police or city administrators because that is like asking for permission which you'll likely not get. They probably knew full well there are no laws against flying drones in your city but they failed to tell you ok but instead pretended like they had no idea. You need to do a public records request and ask for any laws or ordinances related to drones, uavs, or model aircrafts. If there are none, you get that response instead of "we don't know" which is unacceptable. In America, when there are no laws prohibiting it, you are free to do it.

A public records request is going to take some time, possibly weeks, and will almost certainly require you to pay a per-page fee. You'll probably get a lot of pages that you don't need or want.

But a quick google search turned up some interesting things.

There's a Pennsylvania Drone Associations. Here's their summary of laws in the state. Drones are verboten in state parks except in designated areas. The association looks like an excellent organization. You could contact them for information on specifics.

This was a surprise. It seems very positive for drones.

Note paragraph (a)

Screenshot 2023-08-13 144230.jpg

A public records request is going to take some time, possibly weeks, and will almost certainly require you to pay a per-page fee. You'll probably get a lot of pages that you don't need or want.

But a quick google search turned up some interesting things.

There's a Pennsylvania Drone Associations. Here's their summary of laws in the state. Drones are verboten in state parks except in designated areas. The association looks like an excellent organization. You could contact them for information on specifics.

This was a surprise. It seems very positive for drones.

Note paragraph (a)

View attachment 167018
You can submit your public records request by email, it will be free in most cases, and there is usually a law on how long it will take, often it is less than 2 weeks. Frankly, the city should have him the "no" answer by the next business day since there won't be any details related to a law about drones. Such an email will come in handy when the local police decide to visit you in the park and tell you he doesn't know if there is a law but still, you need to leave.

Send your email to: [email protected]

"Please provide copy of any laws, ordinances, rules, or policies regarding operating, flying, landing, and/or launching of drones, unmanned aerial vehicles (uav), and/or remote-controlled (rc) aircraft on city-owned property including city parks, schools, and the public right of way."

I just registered my DJI mini 2 and did my trust for recreational use. I need to know about putting accessories on it and going over the category 1 to a category two. Can anybody give me a link on information about that or information from personal experience.Speed Test
I would be happy to answer some questions for you If I can what specifically are you wondering about?

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_