DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New recreational/future pilot

To put it simple, you cannot make your Mini 2 safe to fly over people; it does not fit into any safe over-people category.
For now just learn all about flying your drone and how you are going to use it while learning details of what you can do as a recreational pilot.
It is not something that I had planned on doing the reason I said about the video is there is a graph that i was wondering about earlier in the thread that i posted.

Since you are already registered, you can put any accessory on your Mini that you want. The difference between recreational and Part 107 registration is that your FAA number is for you if you are recreational (every drone you have uses the same number) and under Part 107, you need a number for each drone (every drone will have a different FAA number).

I just registered my DJI mini 2 and did my trust for recreational use. I need to know about putting accessories on it and going over the category 1 to a category two. Can anybody give me a link on information about that or information from personal experience.
Henrik Olsen is a pioneer in the UAV and he has a free website, welcoming every new pilot, I think that here is a good place to start.
Please sign up.
Classroom · 1st Drone Academy

Reactions: Torque and Octavio
I just registered my DJI mini 2 and did my trust for recreational use. I need to know about putting accessories on it and going over the category 1 to a category two. Can anybody give me a link on information about that or information from personal experience.
If you registered your mini under .5 = -250 grams and you have your trust certificate? Then you can put lights or other thing as long it is safely mounted. After September 16 2023 it must comply with RID . If it is a Mini 3 with Standard Remote ID , then you are ready to fly .
I am Bill , FAA Safety Team , Wings Pro and Drone Pro , Rules , Regulations and Operations Representative FSDO-63.

Reactions: Torque
If you registered your mini under .5 = -250 grams and you have your trust certificate? Then you can put lights or other thing as long it is safely mounted. After September 16 2023 it must comply with RID . If it is a Mini 3 with Standard Remote ID , then you are ready to fly .
I am Bill , FAA Safety Team , Wings Pro and Drone Pro , Rules , Regulations and Operations Representative FSDO-63.

Thank you Bill for your input. I appreciate it now after I get my part 107 will that change by having stuff on my drone making it heavier. Is there another class or category?

OH just one more thing (thats my Columbo) Your drones weight is measured at takeoff, not at registration if you have a <250g mini and cram enough stuff on it you are no longer flying a <250g mini.

NO but where and what you can fly changes drones weighing over 250g have much more restrictions on them for safety. so if you have say a mavic mini 3pro that weighs less than 250g it does not need to be registered for recreational However if you get the longer life batterys they offer those will push you above the weight limit and now your drone must be registered Its really much easier to just register anything you are gonna use its cheap ( for recreational you only have to get one) If you ever want to start a business not only will the law require you to register your drones your insurance company will too.

Last edited:
NO but where and what you can fly changes drones weighing over 250g have much more restrictions on them for safety. so if you have say a mavic mini 3pro that weighs less than 250g it does not need to be registered for recreational However if you get the longer life batterys they offer those will push you above the weight limit and now your drone must be registered Its really much easier to just register anything you are gonna use its cheap ( for recreational you only have to get one) If you ever want to start a business not only will the law require you to register your drones your insurance company will too.
This guy is a new recreational flyer in America and you just told him "drones weighing over 250g have much more restrictions on them for safety." What are they?

Reactions: Cafguy
I am a lazy person so my excuse for not being specific is that the OP wishes to take his part 107 and this will be a good learning experience as far as finding and interpreting the proper regulations. Cmon Mavic3usa help a fellow out and don't try to make me remember some stuff I might get wrong now LOL

Reactions: mavic3usa
Thank you Bill for your input. I appreciate it now after I get my part 107 will that change by having stuff on my drone making it heavier. Is there another class or category?
No you won't be affected if you register it as part 107 Comercial Pilot . After being current with your part 107 you must register it as such . Also you can fly recreational ( You must make sure you register that flight as recreational before takeoff . My recommendation to all is to login to our faasafety.gov. Remember to get your FAA Tracking Number ( FTN ) I.A.C.R.A , before taking your 107 exam. As an FAA Safety Team Representative it's my duty to help everyone who may need help. I am not an inspector or an agent. Feel free to ask if you have questions regarding rules , regulations and operations .

Reactions: Cafguy
No you won't be affected if you register it as part 107 Comercial Pilot . After being current with your part 107 you must register it as such . Also you can fly recreational ( You must make sure you register that flight as recreational before takeoff . My recommendation to all is to login to our faasafety.gov. Remember to get your FAA Tracking Number ( FTN ) I.A.C.R.A , before taking your 107 exam. As an FAA Safety Team Representative it's my duty to help everyone who may need help. I am not an inspector or an agent. Feel free to ask if you have questions regarding rules , regulations and operations .
Its really cool to have one of you guys here on the forum

Reactions: Captain Lopez
You must make sure you register that flight as recreational before takeoff .
Where does one register a flight as recreational? With my 107 certificate, I just fly recreation or not, and don't register any flights. Flight registration is new news to me.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_