DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New recreational/future pilot

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: old man mavic
I just registered my DJI mini 2 and did my trust for recreational use. I need to know about putting accessories on it and going over the category 1 to a category two. Can anybody give me a link on information about that or information from personal experience.
Welcome! I'm going say first off as a recreational pilot, there are no categories for your drones that you need to be concerned with. Nothing changes for you under any circumstances. Am I right?

*Welcome again! (still learning) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
welcome to the forum

WELCOME to the Forum you will find all the info you need right here !!
I would be happy to answer some questions for you If I can what specifically are you wondering about?
I want to get some accessories for my DJ mini 2 The extended landing gear, prop guards, motor caps. Will I have to go into category 2 because it's over 249 g. And What does that do as far as law and whatever else.

I want to get some accessories for my DJ mini 2 The extended landing gear, prop guards, motor caps. Will I have to go into category 2 because it's over 249 g. And What does that do as far as law and whatever else.
There no category 2 for your Mini 2.
You already registered you drone with the FAA, so just add whatever accessories you want. Just be aware of any flight characteristics that might change with added accessoreis.

Reactions: Cafguy
No categories for drones: Just register your drone if it weighs above 250g and you are golden, no big deal. If you plan to one day try to make money with your drone you will need to register it anyways (weight or not)so might as well.

Does that change after getting part 107, with the accessories?
What do you mean by category 2? Where did you find such a category?

So, you want to fly over people with an FAA approved category 2 drone. The Pilot Institute chart and background information should be all you need. If you want very specific information beyond Pilot Institute then ask for the specific information.

It's fun to add accessories to little machines, but think about whether you really need them. From my perspective, the motor covers are just decorations and the landing gear extensions aren't needed if you're taking off on surfaces you ought to be taking off from. They're just added weight and drag. Prop guards might have some value, but if you're flying in open outdoor areas they're not really necessary. And if you're considering indoor flights as a new pilot, my advice is "Don't."

So, you want to fly over people with an FAA approved category 2 drone. The Pilot Institute chart and background information should be all you need. If you want very specific information beyond Pilot Institute then ask for the specific information.
Please, bear with me, and I hope I'm reading tone wrong. There is a mountain of information that I'm trying to absorb, so, if I ask a question that may seem stupid to you, I apologize beforehand. I will look for the chart and reply with it. It may have no concern for me, idk

It's fun to add accessories to little machines, but think about whether you really need them. From my perspective, the motor covers are just decorations and the landing gear extensions aren't needed if you're taking off on surfaces you ought to be taking off from. They're just added weight and drag. Prop guards might have some value, but if you're flying in open outdoor areas they're not really necessary. And if you're considering indoor flights as a new pilot, my advice is "Don't."
I think I'll just stick to outdoor flight until I get a lot better at it. I understand that it creates more drag and is probably not really necessary.

There are benefits to getting your 107 but caring more weight is not really one of them. You can carry all the stuff your little drone is capable of, but as stated above these will also add more weight. (less flight time). Flying near or over people is tricky stuff, and while you can with lightweight drones its not recommended for safety sake. If you ever decide to do it, make sure you are either using a cinewhoop style drone ( Like the avata ) or you have prop guards equipped! You DO NOT want to hit someone in the face with your props!

To put it simple, you cannot make your Mini 2 safe to fly over people; it does not fit into any safe over-people category.
For now just learn all about flying your drone and how you are going to use it while learning details of what you can do as a recreational pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13