DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Recurrent Test

BlueRidge

Reactions
I searched for an answer and didn't find one. If this has already been covered, my apologies…

What's going on with the Part 107 Recurrent testing with the new rules. My certificate has expired, but if the FAA is going to offer online recurrent testing, I'll just wait it out.

Thanks

It was delayed, I believe that the current date is now March 15. They are calling it recurrent training, so I’m curious if there is a test involved or just a power point type presentation to flip through.

I believe it's just online training with questions at the end to ensure that you've retained the training. Not really a "test" per se.

Here's the notification about the "Delay"

Your Part 107 doesn't actually Expire you go out of Currency. When did you last become current?

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you for the replies. I imagine that the FAA will send us all an email when the new program is launched, but please post in case we miss it.

Whether there is a test or not, I’m grateful for the convenience and cost savings with the new program.

Thank you for the replies. I imagine that the FAA will send us all an email when the new program is launched, but please post in case we miss it.

Whether there is a test or not, I’m grateful for the convenience and cost savings with the new program.
Well....****! I linked over to another thread and realized that evidently I will still need to test again because the online recurrent program is not for part 107 certificate holders.

If anyone qual can clarify, I would appreciate i.

Well....****! I linked over to another thread and realized that evidently I will still need to test again because the online recurrent program is not for part 107 certificate holders.

You are mistaken. The online recurrent program will be for Part 107 holders, it's just been briefly delayed to at least March 16th.

You're talking about the one that is for Current Part 61 Pilots (manned aircraft). That one has been around since 2016 and only for Manned Pilots who are current.
Directly from the details on this course:

"This course is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders who have a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56) and wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating. References to “part 61 pilot certificate holders” specifically refer to holders of pilot certificates other than student pilot certificates. Part 61 pilot certificates include sport pilot, recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot and air transport pilot certificates."

It's expected that the new ReCurrency Training module will actually completely replace ALC-515 (what it's called right now) but we won't know for sure until it's actually released.

For those reading this, ALC-515 is an excellent brush-up and practice for anyone who just wants a little bit more. Keep in mind it's DRONE specific and doesn't touch on "General Aviation" topics (airpsace, sectionals, weather, etc etc) because if you're Current with Part 61 you've already proven you know that subject matter deeply.

Reactions: Thomas B
BlueRidge, BigAI07's reply is the most appropriate. This is for current part 61 pilots. Are you a current part 61 pilot which obviously includes a current flight review? Current medical not required.

BlueRidge, BigAI07's reply is the most appropriate. This is for current part 61 pilots. Are you a current part 61 pilot which obviously includes a current flight review? Current medical not required.
I'm not a part 61...I just simply want to know if there will be a recurrent online program/exam available online in the near(ish) future, or I should plan on studying and scheduling to take a test at the local airport. I'm just a plain old part 107 certificate holder that hasn't taken a recurrent in over two years.

More research... Just talked with FAA UAS support. The Part 107 recurrent online course date is now APRIL 6, 2021. Check the FAA Safety site (faasafety.gov) under the Hot Topics link for up to date info.
I am up for recert at the end of the month. Planning to sit on it, not pay and not take the test. I won't fly commercially for the month of April and take advantage of the online courses for the recert during that time. And new courses will cover the new regulations on remote ID, flights over people and flights at night.
I believe that if I took the test, the recert would count. However, I don't trust the recert exams to be up to date, given proximity to the change over. It could require additional course work in addition to taking the recert exam.
Be clear about the Part 61 and Part 107 recert differences. Part 61 online recert courses are available now, if you hold a pilot license. Part 107 recert courses will hopefully show up by mid April.

More research... Just talked with FAA UAS support. The Part 107 recurrent online course date is now APRIL 6, 2021. Check the FAA Safety site (faasafety.gov) under the Hot Topics link for up to date info.
I am up for recert at the end of the month. Planning to sit on it, not pay and not take the test. I won't fly commercially for the month of April and take advantage of the online courses for the recert during that time. And new courses will cover the new regulations on remote ID, flights over people and flights at night.
I believe that if I took the test, the recert would count. However, I don't trust the recert exams to be up to date, given proximity to the change over. It could require additional course work in addition to taking the recert exam.
Be clear about the Part 61 and Part 107 recert differences. Part 61 online recert courses are available now, if you hold a pilot license. Part 107 recert courses will hopefully show up by mid April.

Let's take this one piece at a time :)

"I believe that if I took the test, the recert would count. However, I don't trust the recert exams to be up to date, given proximity to the change over. It could require additional course work in addition to taking the recert exam."
If you take the test before the new regs are released you'll still be able to fly as you do now but you will NOT be able to take advantage of any of the new rules changes (Night flights w/o waiver, OOP etc) until you go and take the NEW Recurrency Training online.

Be clear about the Part 61 and Part 107 recert differences. Part 61 online recert courses are available now, if you hold a pilot license.
Just like everyone else, if we take the Recurrency Test (for Part 61) and pass (impossible to not pass it) we still can not exercise the privs of the new rules until we take the updated Recurrency Training. I'm now current (as of March 1st) under Part 61 and Part 107 but when the new Part 107 Training Module goes LIVE I'll also have to fall in line and take it if I want the FULL benefits of Part 107 going forward.

Part 107 recert courses will hopefully show up by mid April.
They are currently scheduled to go LIVE on 4/6/21
You can watch this thread for up-to-date information as we try to post it the moment we are notified by the FAA:

Thank you all for the updates! PLEASE...keep them coming

Test/Training Materials will be updated 4/6/21

New rules go into effect 4/21/21

Exiting ~107.29 (Daylight Waivers) become void/expire (regardless what the expiration date on it is) 5/16/21

I searched for an answer and didn't find one. If this has already been covered, my apologies…

What's going on with the Part 107 Recurrent testing with the new rules. My certificate has expired, but if the FAA is going to offer online recurrent testing, I'll just wait it out.

Thanks
I just took the online class at the FAA site to learn the new rulings, but I found out from the FAA that by taking the test early, I will now have to take the recurrent class in 24 months from April this year even though my original certification doesn't expire till September this year. If anyone knows anything different, please advise. I would recommend waiting until your current certification expires before taking the recurrent course. By the way, the course is fairly easy and only took be about an hour including the test at the end.

I just took the online class at the FAA site to learn the new rulings, but I found out from the FAA that by taking the test early, I will now have to take the recurrent class in 24 months from April this year even though my original certification doesn't expire till September this year. If anyone knows anything different, please advise. I would recommend waiting until your current certification expires before taking the recurrent course. By the way, the course is fairly easy and only took be about an hour including the test at the end.

Yes - you will have to take it again April 2023 rather than September 2021. And now you can fly at night, rather than having to wait until September. Why is that bad?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yes - you will have to take it again April 2023 rather than September 2021. And now you can fly at night, rather than having to wait until September. Why is that bad?
Trouble is, by taking it early, I have to take recurrent class in April 2023 instead of September 2023....that was my statement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh