DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Regulations? Where can I fly?

It's important to note that there are areas that are "Red" that do not have the "Grid" on them. Those are RESTRICTED areas and will not be getting any type of "Authorization" at least not in regards to the topic at hand.

This has been a really interesting discussion to follow: we need a similar discussion/“tutorial” for the UK, as I am noticing discrepancies here as well between DJI Geofencing and information from other sources (such as NATS Drone Assist iOS app)

As of today, you can:
  • Fly up to 400 AGL in uncontrolled airspace (Class G).

• Fly in authorized fixed sites within controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E). Fixed sites are marked with blue dots on the map of FAA UAS data linked here.
Also, you need to stay clear of restricted airspace. Those areas can be found on map of FAA UAS data linked here.
I found that very confusing, could make no sense of it. How is that different than this?
ArcGIS Web Application

I found that very confusing, could make no sense of it. How is that different than this?
ArcGIS Web Application
The links msinger posted are to the actual datasets. "The FAA UAS Data Delivery Service is an FAA-enabled web service that makes data available in CSV, JSON, KML, Shapefile formats to meet the needs of developers and other stakeholders."

You link is to the FAA map with that exact same data plotted for everyone to see and use. Unless one has the need for the "raw" datasets, for making their own maps, then your link to the ArcGIS map is the place to go.

I have flown in an area that is just outside the Class B airspace for PHL but is now inside the perimeter green LAANC box. In the past this was not a concern as a hobbyist. I assume that I should still be able to fly there because it is technically outside the Class B airspace per the sectional chart. Does anyone have any insight to the contrary?

I have flown in an area that is just outside the Class B airspace for PHL but is now inside the perimeter green LAANC box. In the past this was not a concern as a hobbyist. I assume that I should still be able to fly there because it is technically outside the Class B airspace per the sectional chart. Does anyone have any insight to the contrary?
For now the rules are pretty clear for hobbyists: class G uncontrolled or no fly except for fixes sites.

The LAANC box do not exactly match the size/shape of the airspace (I assume for ease of use???) but the final word is the exact airspace you're operating in. If you're absolutely sure, without any doubt, that your operating outside of Controlled Airspace then you should be good to go.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The LAANC box do not exactly match the size/shape of the airspace (I assume for ease of use???) but the final word is the exact airspace you're operating in. If you're absolutely sure, without any doubt, that your operating outside of Controlled Airspace then you should be good to go.
I assume the same regarding the size/shape. I had previously verified the area is Class G with local FAA ATC.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu