DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rules for Hobby Drone Operators from FAA

Thought I had read the LR test would be a no fee on line exam with the FAA, not third party.
May be mistaken, but I’m sure I read that somewhere!
Not sure about the “no fee” or “not third party” but I too read that the test would be online.

Anybody seen the new regs due today ...on the FAA website with today’s date I mean

If a test is required for non-commercial flyers I hope that it is online and not expensive.

Part 107 is only $150 and you're good to go with doing aerials to help with your existing business efforts.

Reactions: AMann
Reactions: Thomas B
If you live near one of the "approved sites," I urge you to stop by and ask about drone flying. I visited the local nearest to me (30+ miles away.) and the field safety officer literally laughed and quipped "you're kidding, right?" For the most part, these are pattern flying airfields comprised of airplanes and helicopters--not drones or quadcopters, and are run by old geezers---and I can say old geezer because I am one--whose interest revolves around scale aircraft or gas operated super copters.

Reactions: mereflyer
Will be interesting to see what DJI does with this. Particularly with the recent changes they made to the new shaped restricted zones. My house is just inside the 5 mile radius of an airport. I always call. It was a warning zone in previous versions of DJI (the type you could just click through). When DJI went to non-circular shapes, my house was no longer a warning zone, and I could fly without the warning (although since I was within 5 MI, I still would have to call).

Now, according the FAA, I can't fly recreationally for the time being. But DJI allows me to without even a warning at the moment. I'm sure that will change soon, although this is another instance where DJI would be too restrictive. No reason to not allow me to take off on my porch and stay below 6 feet to test a filter or something.....

Reactions: mereflyer and strdr
Yes, DJI’s reaction and programming changes resulting from it, despite the fact that DJI is not an approved LAANC provider, will be interesting at best, but likely more restrictive.

I have no confidence that the implementation of more regulations for drone hobbiest is going to make a material difference in public safety. Too many people just do not give a flip about following the rules, regulations, laws when it comes to flying their drones.

The hobby fliers who care are already aware of the rules (distance to airport etc). Just like many other activities you we will always have those that disregard laws. I will not give a clear example because it might trigger some to have a melt down but we know that laws and more laws on top of even more laws will not eliminate stupidity unless the laws are strictly enforced and the consequences are meaningful.

I would rather see regulations (seems like they are falling into place) that govern all UAS rather than two different groups. The only difference should be that those who choose to take the Part 107 route would have a pathway for waivers or exceptions to the regulations based upon a business or logical need that is approved.

I would like to see something a lot more simple. A grid map of the US much like the ArcGis maps. Pull the map up and if your location is in a grid that allows flights up to the 400' limit, your good to go. If not then you have an approval process that requires more steps if you need to fly in that grid that restricts flights.

Glad this is all now crystal clear and there will be no changes needed and that everything is running very smoothly. As always, the FAA is doing a great job making up easy to follow rules and getting good and timely information out to all drone fliers. For awhile there I thought the FAA would make this confusing, difficult to follow and not have everything done before we were required to follow the new rules.

Glad this is all now crystal clear and there will be no changes needed and that everything is running very smoothly. As always, the FAA is doing a great job making up easy to follow rules and getting good and timely information out to all drone fliers. For awhile there I thought the FAA would make this confusing, difficult to follow and not have everything done before we were required to follow the new rules.
Where’s the tongue-in-cheek icon when you need it?

Will be interesting to see what DJI does with this. Particularly with the recent changes they made to the new shaped restricted zones. My house is just inside the 5 mile radius of an airport. I always call. It was a warning zone in previous versions of DJI (the type you could just click through). When DJI went to non-circular shapes, my house was no longer a warning zone, and I could fly without the warning (although since I was within 5 MI, I still would have to call).

Now, according the FAA, I can't fly recreationally for the time being. But DJI allows me to without even a warning at the moment. I'm sure that will change soon, although this is another instance where DJI would be too restrictive. No reason to not allow me to take off on my porch and stay below 6 feet to test a filter or something.....
By all means, YOU CAN FLY (even for the time being!!!) You just cannot do it within NAS Classed airspace. (Or, if you are Part 107, use LAANC). Like me, if I choose to fly 107, I submit LAANC. If I choose not to use 107, I just step out of the classed air space. I concede, it will be a bit inconvenient for the time being, but you are NOT stopped from stepping out side the box to free air space. For me, again, either I submit LAANC or go to a different city park elsewhere in the ville. But please DO NOT stop flying in the meantime. Continue to enjoy your UAS, but do it legally.

I'm picking up on your sarcasm.

Reactions: CaseyH
Just exactly what are established flying sites?
An established flying site is one such that has an MOA in effect with the local FAA ATC. i.e., A local AMA flying field that is located within the classed air space. Unfortunately, those are few and far between for many UAS pilots right now. That does not stop one from going outside the classed area and flying. The FAA web has a listing of all the Fixed Flying sites. Appears FL, TX, CA are among the biggies.

Reactions: Slade

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven