DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rules for Hobby Drone Operators from FAA

Go back to that testing service counter, ask for the name of the person who tells you to call back, ask for their supervisors’ name and a business card, and tell them that you are going to call your regional FAA flight standards district office and file a complaint about them (give the actual name of the office by looking it up on this link):

They are not providing you with a test for an airman's certificate that the FAA has contracted them to provide, and as a result they are delaying your certificate because of their disservice.
Thanks for the response. I'll see what comes next and if I have to I'll get litigious I guess.

This is w

Thanks for the response. I'll see what comes next and if I have to I'll get litigious I guess.

Litigous? Naw, I just tell them that you are going to complain if they don’t start offering better service. I mean, we are paying for it, right?

Reactions: strdr
I wouldn’t happen to be the Black Sheep Squadron, would it? We have those in the US as well! There’s a video of one flying around and through the towers and spans of the Golden Gate bridge, and the controller was about 10 miles away. That was just before the FAA enacted the VLOS requirement.

No - I'm referring to a group of Queensland (QLD) based FPV Drone flyers. Of course one of the conditions of entry to the group is "No Sheriffs".

All because the Talking Heads at the Dept of Homeland Security view every drone as a potential terrorist threat.
And I'm not kidding.
?? And they think that terrorists care what laws will roll out. I see them "upset" already by Geo-fence and other rules. ??

Last edited:
No - I'm referring to a group of Queensland (QLD) based FPV Drone flyers. Of course one of the conditions of entry to the group is "No Sheriffs".
The group I named above is international, they post their shenanigans on YouTube from all over the world.

AMA field bad
Class G good

The controlled air space I HAD access to is a non interesting ugly bore with too many people, anyway. Just be sure to bring extra batteries because class G is an outing.

If all of this is too much for you, I am in the market for a reasonably priced M2P.
Just kidding... Sort of

Reactions: mereflyer
Yes, I've seen that, thanks.
That was my question, are there any fixed sites that aren't AMA fields?
Not super important, just curious really
This doesn't answer your question, but take it for what it's worth.
- The header of the Excel file the FAA published is "AMA Flying Fields for Initial Publication."
- In the FAA internal memo circulated the other day was this numbered point: "Approximately 350 Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) fixed sites are located in controlled airspace, but less than 200 are listed for recreational use." The Excel file and FAA UAS Facilities Map show 193 sites.
- The Federal Register announcement released today states "Until LAANC is available for recreational operations, the FAA is granting temporary airspace authorizations to operate at certain fixed sites (commonly referred to as flying fields) that are established by an agreement with the FAA."
- This leaves open the possibility of fields belonging to other organizations being on the list. The FR and boilerplate COA for operations at these fields provide information on how community based organizations can submit their fields to be considered for the approved list.

Reactions: Mrmund
Now I know why DJI just came out with an action camera, less headaches. Tends already show that the money will be in the commercial market in the future, which overtime will become less restricted. There is gold in them there skies and hobbyists are just in the way. Don't forget to upgrade when DJI comes out with their new firmware. I heard AMA fields are quite photographic this time of year.:p

I read the AMA response and they argue that this is not legally binding.. Hmmm should be interesting

In my part of our lovely town I lie just outside controlled airspace. I’ll continue to fly. Molon Labe and for the Latin folks Non tetigit me impune lacessit???

If anyone's interested, I posted a detailed overview of these rule changes in this thread:

Reactions: YaSureOK
Correct me if I am wrong but since the inception of record keeping many years ago, there have been 4 fatalities resulting from any form of drones, model RC, helicopters, gliders, etc. Only one of those was a bystander.

Correct me if I am wrong but since the inception of record keeping many years ago, there have been 4 fatalities resulting from any form of drones, model RC, helicopters, gliders, etc. Only one of those was a bystander.
Reference please. TIA

A summary.
Yeop, saw your vid when first posted. A very informative vid to say the least!
I think we will see some type of sample preliminary test for recreational pilots before FAA implementation later this year. I am sure it will be relatively easy for seasoned recreational pilots, however for the newbies? Not so sure.

Thanks for the update. If I didn't see the video, I would have had no clue about the changes.

Is there a link to the Web page that has the new rules?

I've been using airmap for all of my notifications for a while now. I assume we still can, right?

Thanks for the update. If I didn't see the video, I would have had no clue about the changes.

Is there a link to the Web page that has the new rules?

I've been using airmap for all of my notifications for a while now. I assume we still can, right?
Please see these other threads currently on the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada