DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new settings in the camera/video section of the remote

KONY

Reactions
hello,

there is now a more complex choice when it comes to Shutter speed, apperture for the photo & video (see picture)

beside the classics A (Auto) and M (manual) modes , there are now modes where you can give priority to A > as in Aperture i guess, or to give priority to S, for Shutter speed

and on top of that there is possibility to make the ISO automatic in those 2 new modes

That is all sweet to have such flexibility...but at same time, ignorants in photography like me (well i know some few basics stuff) may struggle , once up in the air to find the best setting other than the regular AUTO MODE

Can some experienced photographer (especially some who may have received the drone) share some insight in regards how to best use those 2 new modes A-Aperture and S-Shutter speed ?

I would note for better comprehension that when one choose the Aperture priority mode, then the Shutter speed becomes automatic, and vice versa

my questions would be :

1) >When to choose Aperture-priority mode versus Shutter-Speed-priority one ?

2) and how to know if they can be of any help in some specific situations (low light, fireworks etc)

thanx

2018-08-24 23.55.00.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Great question, and I'm following to see what the experienced here have to say. I would imagine that the priorities allow the auto setting to adjust either the aperture or shutter speed to achieve the iso. I also imagine that generally aperture would be preferable in most cases... and would reduce the need for ND filters? Anxious to find out...

Aperture priority, you pick your required aperture, and the camera will then pick a shutter speed that will give a good exposure, so say you pick F 2.8, that is now fixed, and depending on the available light the camera will pick a good shutter speed.

Shutter priority, just the opposite, you pick your shutter speed you wish to shoot and the camera will then pick a good aperture which give a good exposure.

Goal of both is to get a even exposure (histogram in the middle).

Issues are:

Shutter priority, may pick a very wide open aperture and thus limit DOF. However may be a good solution for a fast moving subject.

I still prefer M mode, setting both my shutter speed and aperture. Raw only for stills. I realize many prefer to use jpg here, but raw for me offers much more capability it's a personal pref.

I seriously doubt that the lens on the new camera will be much different than the camera on the current P4 Pro, thus you will start to see diffraction issues by F 6.3, (softness). F11 is pretty worthless for a landscape shot due to diffraction even after sharpening in post.

I still prefer to use AEB, 5 shots, thus you get a range of -1.34 to +1.34. This is most times enough to get 3 exposures to combine in post. Most times I only need 2. But if you only go to 3 shots your range is only -.7 to +.7 and IMO not enough range.

I am also hoping to see if the higher ISO ranges are any better (odds are again just the same sensor on the P4 Pro), thus by ISO 500 things are pretty noisy.

Its way to time consuming to preview your shots, at least for me, especially when you are trying to watch your drone and fly and keep up with everything. So I just like to use AEB and not worry. Cards are cheap.

Paul C

Thank you Paul, that makes a lot of sense

for sure those classics videos of "best settings for Mavic 2 Pro" cinematic etc" will start to surface in the coming weeks on you tube,

then we will have even more good advices from pro photographers ;)

In the meantime i will try different settings under various lighting conditions to see what i get from it

I' m guessing that shutter priority is saying you need to use ND filters to control your aperture, as there is no aperture variation?

Its got shutter priority??? If so that's absolutely fantastic. For video that'll be amazing.

I' m guessing that shutter priority is saying you need to use ND filters to control your aperture, as there is no aperture variation?

On normal cameras Shutter Priority means you select the shutter speed and the camera will adjust the aperture and ISO to keep it exposed correctly. So unless its very very bright, you wont need an ND. At the very least you'll need far fewer.
Someone will have to test where diffraction effects start to come into play. Nobody has yet done a proper technical review of the drone. I guess DJI just wanted the "Look its cool!" noisemakers to get the pre-release ones not people who'll dissect the details.

Brief description.

Aperture priority....

This is the mode most photographers will keep their land camera in 80%+ of the time (excluding controlled lighting studio etc). This means you select the aperture (ie depth of field) and the camera will pick a shutterspeed and ISO to correctly expose the image.

HOWEVER... On a drone im not sure it'll be as useful. The sensor is small and subject distance is so much the aperture makes no difference to depth of field at all so it wont be that useful. I use it in photo mode but locked on say f/5.6 or similar and not changing it a lot.

Shutter Priority
As above but you select the shutter speed, camera adjusts the aperture and iso to suit. Given the camera is likely to be noisy at moderate ISOs ideally you'll select 1/60th etc, lock iso100 and let the drone sort out the aperture to maintain the exposure.

If it supports uncoupling of the ISO as well its even better. Some cameras do, some dont.

Where are you seeing this information by the way? This would be a huge selling point but i cant see it listed.

For me i suspect for stills i'll be on manual mode (using histogram, maybe zebras if not too ugly) as now. Whether i'll need to manually braket as much remains to be seen, hopefully not due to the increase dynamic range offered but who knows.
Video i suspect i'll be on shutter priority OR manual with a fixed shutter and aperture but auto iso if that option is available.

Just wanted add,

One note, in shutter or aperture priority, unless the camera is "auto" ISO, is should not select an ISO, it should stay in the selected ISO. I would never use Auto ISO, as all of these small end cameras will jump to a higher ISO than then chip really can handle. Thus you will get excessive noise.

On most DSLR's the only time I know that a ISO will be changed is sometimes in Program mode, where the camera is designed to figure out the best, Shutter, aperture and ISO for the scene involved.

Paul C

The Mavic 1 is awful at anything above iso100.
Im hoping this one is better but yes, im going to be holding 100iso unless i absolutely have to up it due to low light. Its still only a 1" sensor.

I use aperture priority and try to lock at 5.6 which to me looks like the sharpest aperture.Most of the time in the Mavic2 Pro it's enough depth of field and as long as the shutter speed the camera picks at ISO 100 is fast enough to stop any action or drone movement I find I get good sharpness.There are online calculators to show the depth of field at any particular aperture.

Its got shutter priority??? If so that's absolutely fantastic. For video that'll be amazing.

On normal cameras Shutter Priority means you select the shutter speed and the camera will adjust the aperture and ISO to keep it exposed correctly. So unless its very very bright, you wont need an ND. At the very least you'll need far fewer.
Someone will have to test where diffraction effects start to come into play. Nobody has yet done a proper technical review of the drone. I guess DJI just wanted the "Look its cool!" noisemakers to get the pre-release ones not people who'll dissect the details.

Brief description.

Aperture priority....

This is the mode most photographers will keep their land camera in 80%+ of the time (excluding controlled lighting studio etc). This means you select the aperture (ie depth of field) and the camera will pick a shutterspeed and ISO to correctly expose the image.

HOWEVER... On a drone im not sure it'll be as useful. The sensor is small and subject distance is so much the aperture makes no difference to depth of field at all so it wont be that useful. I use it in photo mode but locked on say f/5.6 or similar and not changing it a lot.

Shutter Priority
As above but you select the shutter speed, camera adjusts the aperture and iso to suit. Given the camera is likely to be noisy at moderate ISOs ideally you'll select 1/60th etc, lock iso100 and let the drone sort out the aperture to maintain the exposure.

If it supports uncoupling of the ISO as well its even better. Some cameras do, some dont.

Where are you seeing this information by the way? This would be a huge selling point but i cant see it listed.

For me i suspect for stills i'll be on manual mode (using histogram, maybe zebras if not too ugly) as now. Whether i'll need to manually braket as much remains to be seen, hopefully not due to the increase dynamic range offered but who knows.
Video i suspect i'll be on shutter priority OR manual with a fixed shutter and aperture but auto iso if that option is available.
The basic optics rule is that the lager the projected image is ,ie. the sensor, the lower the depth of field, so you need a smaller aperture. Having said that with the drone I'm thinking you are generally working in the infinity range, where depth of field is incidental.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom