DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones intimidation!

I have the MA for 1.5 years and lost most of my nervousness after the first month of flying. I almost lost it 2X but it returned home on its own. If you take your hands off the controls it hovers where it is until you figure out what to do.

Key things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you have at least 10 satellites locked after launching and recording home point.
2. Remember that you have no collision avoidance to the side or on top.
3. Don’t try to push the limits of battery level especially on a windy day.
4. Buy at least one Firehouse strobe to help you spot it at a distance.
5. Familiarize yourself with reading the drone position from the map so you know how to find it and assure yourself that it really is heading home.

Have fun!

Reactions: RonW
I fly a MP, but I must admit I don't ever get nervous flying it anymore. After 50 something flights, I feel like I can put a lot of trust in to how it behaves. I've never had any major issues or crashes in the year that I've owned it and I'm sure the same solid reliability applies to the Mavic Air.

Most of my anxieties with flying are not with the drone itself but the reactions I might get from people in public places.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks
Had no issues at all an excellent bit of kit, easy to fly find a big open space go slow keep it close, take your time.

I have had little to no issues and the Air has been a blast! I recommend taking it slow, find a large open area and practice practice practice.

Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks
All the advice here is great.Practice lots in open area.Takes times to get comfortable with it but once you do you will love it.Msinger's guide is excellent.

I'll admit that new first time ownership can be nerve wracking. I would heed the well intended advice offered by our comrades and take it slowly. Find a big open field and just get started. You will learn along the way. This forum is great for getting exposure to new aspects of the hobby/profession. I'd also recommend purchasing a Snaptain H823H Plus Portable Mini Drone and it's accessories, (a $50 expense on Amazon) that you can fly indoors to practice with. I have one and it's great for developing your muscle memory and it's very rugged and reliable. Go have fun!Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.14.59 AM.png

I have been flying my air for 2 full seasons extensively, in the US, Norway, and Ireland with no problems what so ever. I have had more issues with my Phantom 3 4K, and my Phantom 4 adv.

As mentioned by others, understand how the drone system works - it is a very complex and sophisticated system. Start by flying in a safe space, and practice, practice, practice.

All of my Phantom issues were self inflicted, not caused by the drone.

You want my advice? You will experience your share of issues and troubles. It is a matter of when, not if for everyone of us. Learn, practice, rinse and repeat. For every issue and problem you read on here, there is a cause that could have prevented it from happening; and once it happened, there is a best response scenario that could have been implemented for a better outcome. These should not get you all worried up. You have an immense opportunity through this community to learn about things that go wrong and how best to handle them. This community is full of exceptionally resourceful people who go miles out of their way to share their knowledge and experience. You can't ask for a better place to learn all you need to about your new hobby. Learn, learn, learn some more and then go out and practice. Welcome and have a blast! Like everyone said, the MA is an absolute marvel and a joy to fly.

Hi all,
One way I learned on how to stay out of trouble is to not let them see you take off! It works much better that way!

Welcome to the wonderful world of UAS. First, you really should read ALL the manuals that came with the MA.

Also do a simple search for "Joe Crawford" and download his PDF file. Be sure to say "thanks Joe"

It helps to cover many of the Go 4 App's functions and is quite informative for a beginner. Well done Joe!
If you are in the USA, be sure you have registered your drone with the FAA on their official FAA.GOV website. Other site will fake you and charge you! There is plenty of information available for beginners on the FAA.GOV website in the DRONEZONE area.
Be sure to check local ordinances for UAS operations before flying. Some cities prohibit take off and landing in certain areas. Also, depending on where you live (again USA) you may have to learn about DJI Unlock features. Finally, from me, download an App, IOS or Android, called AIRMAP. There are others that are similar, so choose one you are comfortable with. It will help to facilitate your use of flying via LAANC permissions. Do not be afraid to download and peruse other apps.

ADDED: When you need assistance . . . Use this forum, there are a lot of pilots here more than willing to help guide you. Learn the flight rules for where you are and always abide!

Safe flying to you.

What problems are you referring to?
Stay away from metal, listen to the woman telling you that your home point is recorded, and fly.
(and read the manual four times)

...and when she says come home, obey her.

Read the posts regarding crashes and lost signal, etc. I’ve gathered a lot of “what not to do” reading those. And had a few, yep, done that, moments as well.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
2 biggest tips if they haven't been said already
1. Make sure the top of screen turns green and it says out loud THE HOME POINT HAS BEEN SET
2.Make sure the home point is set at a height safe to return home for the area your in.
I for got that once as I mostly fly in the desert and my RTH height is set at 100 feet. I went to NH and didn't change it and it went into RTH and crashed into the trees LOL

DJI makes the most bullet proof UAS around. (My most humble opinion) I have owned DJI since the early models with a GoPro in tow.

Read all you can, watch YouTube and go fly in a nice open area until you are comfortable. If you have never flown RC use a sim on your computer or go out to an open area and practice with the drone facing away from you. This inspires the controls work as you would suspect... left is left, right is right, forward is forward, and so on. I suggest practicing square patterns low level, forward a few feet, right a few feet, back, etc... once good at that try with the drone facing you. All controls will be reversed. Practice until it becomes automatic. Make it fun!

Once you get in the air pay attention to all the info on your controller screen. Altitude, direction of flight- if you lose orientation, which happens if you outfly your eyesight, hit the Home button and take control once it gets close enough.

you got this!

...and when she says come home, obey her.

Read the posts regarding crashes and lost signal, etc. I’ve gathered a lot of “what not to do” reading those. And had a few, yep, done that, moments as well.
A little help here please! You talking about my wife or the femme voice from the controller?!?

I watched 2 YouTube Video's. Part 1 & 2 of Ed Ricker, about 4 times.
There are several YouTube helpers. Watch them all multiple times.
It taught me how to set up and start flying my Mavic Air.
3 months later I am still learning new tricks.
Be patient and never allow yourself to get over confident.
Regards

If I can do it you can too. I'm 80 years old. Bought the Mavic 2 Pro when it was first sold one year ago. Viewed some great YouTube tutorials, exercised for a while and since then had a great time with hundreds of flights. I'm a landscape photographer and discovered a new world.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661