DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones just saying hello

Jabace

Reactions
Hi guys so I'm completely new to drones and have just bought myself a mavic mini, had it 3 days and am completely in love with it ?, now I have nothing to compare it with but atm I'm happy and buzzing, I had it at 200ft height today and a comfortable distance away, tbh tht was enuff for me ? my heart started beating a little to fast, got scary to say the least, anyway guys just posting this to say hello and look forward to reading some good tips and if needed getting se good advice, thx, have a good en and safe flying.

Welcome! I got my Mavic Mini (MM for short) less than a week ago. I know ALL about the heart pumping and shaky hands. Especially the first time you can't see or hear it anymore. I took it slow, pushing further and further. Just to gain experience/confidence in what it could do. Be sure to set your return to home height high enough! The MM has been great at coming back if I lose signal. It sure is nerve racking though. No picture, can't hear/see it...just waiting to see what happens next.

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also, the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome! I got my Mavic Mini (MM for short) less than a week ago. I know ALL about the heart pumping and shaky hands. Especially the first time you can't see or hear it anymore. I took it slow, pushing further and further. Just to gain experience/confidence in what it could do. Be sure to set your return to home height high enough! The MM has been great at coming back if I lose signal. It sure is nerve racking though. No picture, can't hear/see it...just waiting to see what happens next.
I sent my MM out the other day to a point I couldn't see it anymore (can say it was a little scarey tbh) just to use the RTH, I just put the controller down and waited, and sure enuff it came into view a short while later and landed about a foot away from wer I took off so proper impressed with tht, I love the drone absolutely love it, I'm hoping to do some good videos.

Welcome to our Forum, from the friendly skies of Texas, USA!

The Mini was a good choice.
Despite its small size and low price, it has good performance and a reasonably good camera. The Mini weighs only 249 grams, so it doesn't fly as well in wind as well as the heavier drones. On windy days, it’s best to fly upwind so that you’ll have a tailwind on the way back.

Read the manual, and practice using the “Find My Drone” App. Chances are you'll crash and/or lose your Mini. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone. Also, you might consider hacking the FCC mode. It will give you higher signal strength and better protection from lost connection.

Lots of fun stuff to shoot all over the UK and the EU. When you have questions, there are over 100,000 of us here to help you be a better pilot and photographer. Just ask!

Happy flying!

LOL I did tht just yesterday, I sent it out towards a church, was flying a good 15 mins wen I realised I hadn't been recording lol ?.
Mine was a card issue. It may have recorded but I couldn’t get the video off :confused:

Welcome to our Forum, from the friendly skies of Texas, USA!

The Mini was a good choice.
Despite its small size and low price, it has good performance and a reasonably good camera. The Mini weighs only 249 grams, so it doesn't fly as well in wind as well as the heavier drones. On windy days, it’s best to fly upwind so that you’ll have a tailwind on the way back.

Read the manual, and practice using the “Find My Drone” App. Chances are you'll crash and/or lose your Mini. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone. Also, you might consider hacking the FCC mode. It will give you higher signal strength and better protection from lost connection.

Lots of fun stuff to shoot all over the UK and the EU. When you have questions, there are over 100,000 of us here to help you be a better pilot and photographer. Just ask!

Happy flying!
Hi ya thx for the reply, I have 2 questions, 1 wots the best way to practice finding my drone,obviously I suppose I could land it blind and go find it, and 2, how do I hack FCC? Wot is FCC? I can ask those questions cos I've admitted I'm a complete newbie ? ? also I've only just noticed tht for some reason I'm taking photos with my drone and it's not saving them, I can't find em anywhere, videos are fine but can't find photos, any ideas? Seems strange, and for tht reason I'm guessing I'm missing something. Thx

Hi ya thx for the reply, I have 2 questions, 1 wots the best way to practice finding my drone,obviously I suppose I could land it blind and go find it, and 2, how do I hack FCC? Wot is FCC? I can ask those questions cos I've admitted I'm a complete newbie ? ? also I've only just noticed tht for some reason I'm taking photos with my drone and it's not saving them, I can't find em anywhere, videos are fine but can't find photos, any ideas? Seems strange, and for tht reason I'm guessing I'm missing something. Thx

This will show you how to use "Find My Drone".

..... also I've only just noticed tht for some reason I'm taking photos with my drone and it's not saving them, I can't find em anywhere, videos are fine but can't find photos, any ideas? Seems strange, and for tht reason I'm guessing I'm missing something. Thx
Have you got an SD card in the drone? All your photos will be on there, and high quality videos too. The videos on your phone are lower quality, recorded from the live video stream as you're flying. Photos don't automatically transfer, but can be transferred via the album part of the app when the drone is on, and the phone hooked up to the controller. Alternatively use a card reader.

I don't want to lecture how and where you should fly your Mini, but for your own sake read up on the UK's drone laws/drone code. A good site is this, with simple diagrams to explain:

Hi guys so I'm completely new to drones and have just bought myself a mavic mini, had it 3 days and am completely in love with it ?, now I have nothing to compare it with but atm I'm happy and buzzing, I had it at 200ft height today and a comfortable distance away, tbh tht was enuff for me ? my heart started beating a little to fast, got scary to say the least, anyway guys just posting this to say hello and look forward to reading some good tips and if needed getting se good advice, thx, have a good en and safe flying.
Nice to hear from u. im also new and have only 7 hours of flight experience under my belt and flying only locally here in Miami Beach,Florida

I've been sending my Mini up these last couple of days and caught some pretty nice shots here in the neighborhood. early evening close to the AtlanticDJI_0161.JPGDJI_0318.JPGDJI_0308.JPGDJI_0311.JPGDJI_0161.JPG
Nice to hear from u. im also new and have only 7 hours of flight experience under my belt and flying only locally here in Miami Beach,Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
Have you got an SD card in the drone? All your photos will be on there, and high quality videos too. The videos on your phone are lower quality, recorded from the live video stream as you're flying. Photos don't automatically transfer, but can be transferred via the album part of the app when the drone is on, and the phone hooked up to the controller. Alternatively use a card reader.

I don't want to lecture how and where you should fly your Mini, but for your own sake read up on the UK's drone laws/drone code. A good site is this, with simple diagrams to explain:

Yeah I've read up on wer I can fly and I live out in the country so I'm all good bar from the airbase 20 mile up the road, as for photos I just read tht the drone has to be connected to view them via the album on the app, I'll get the sd card in my lap top see if I can see them, I can see my videos in the album tho. Anyway thx for the reply guys I'm on my night break now so gonna have a read up and look into these photos I've took, once again thx

Reactions: Hauptmann and scro
Yeah atm u got a few hours more than me, I too am only flying local, I have plebty of fields and land around me so lots of space to fly, I absolutely love it tho can't think why I didn't get one sooner. I do go fishing and metal detecting also tho and I work a full time job tho I'm lucky as I work 4 on 4 off

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav