DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to droning, have a few Mavic Pro feature questions

Sector9

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding simple, direct answers on a few features.

1. First off, when does the obstacle avoidance feature work/ not work? (I was trying to test it out by flying towards a tree the other day and it seemed like it wasn't going to stop as it stopped for a second and then kept going at only 2ft away)... is it manually overideable?

2. If I hit the home button and its getting ready to hit an object on the way back how do I avoid this?

3. I get a green screen on my phone and can't view the screen. Do I need to update the app or change a phone setting and how do I do this?

4. How do I use the c1 & c2 buttons?

5. How does the right dial affect camera settings/ what camera settings are adjustable with that? (I only noticed ev changing)

Thanks a lot!

Greg

Ok, everyone. I get to be the first to tell him: RTFM.
Sounds snarky, but really you need to do that first and watch a lot of videos on the subject.
Spend a couple days on here reading and you will not regret it. Don't even think about cranking up before you do.

1.) The obstacle avoidance is only available during the day with sufficient sunlight while in GPS mode. Not available in sport mode.

2.) To cancel RTH, push the red pause button on your RC.

3.) Your phone may not have sufficient processing power to display the video feed. Try a new phone if possible.

4.) You can change the functions of the C1 and C2 buttons in the menu.

5.) The dial changes the exposure value.

Reactions: ksmusa
Hi guys,

1. First off, when does the obstacle avoidance feature work/ not work? (I was trying to test it out by flying towards a tree the other day and it seemed like it wasn't going to stop as it stopped for a second and then kept going at only 2ft away)... is it manually overideable?

2. If I hit the home button and its getting ready to hit an object on the way back how do I avoid this?

3. I get a green screen on my phone and can't view the screen. Do I need to update the app or change a phone setting and how do I do this?

5. How does the right dial affect camera settings/ what camera settings are adjustable with that? (I only noticed ev changing)

Thanks a lot!

Greg
Ok, here we go.
1. Obstacle avoidance isn't 100% trustworthy, usually it will do a good job when encountering solid objects, but as far as tree branches or wires it can and will miss them. So in other words, don't put all your trust in it saving you, fly safe and don't put the Mavic in a crazy place.

2. Again, obstacle avoidance (OA) should help avoid some of this, but the best option is to set you RTH altitude to above any obstacles it would encounter (like tall trees). That way, when RTH is activated it climbs to that preset altitude before coming home.

3. I don't really understand the problem so I can't advise you.

4. I believe you push them.

5. Yes, the right dial changes ev, I can't remember but in manual mode it may be able to also control shuter, as @Sprocket said, you'll have to read the manual for this info and probably any other questions you would have.-CF

Reactions: RLW8888 and ksmusa
2) RTH can also be cancelled by quickly pushing and releasing the RTH button on the remote controller.

3) Which phone are you using? When exactly do you see the green screen? How often do you see the green screen?

4) You can set the functions for the C1/C2 buttons in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-C1-C2-Buttons.jpg

Reactions: genesimmons
Thanks for all the comments even the smart@** ones. Lol.

Not everything is explained in the full manual and a few things are explained but only vaguely.

I guess now i know OA is not enabled if the GPS signal is cutting out and switching to Atti mode. Also, had to ask about the RTH because im flying around and under trees which soon as you hit rth is a hazard as it'll go right up into the branches... Would be better if it just went straight to home in my case but that can also be a hazard... Of course it has gps on takeoff so the homepoint is recorded but the gps is spotty around large trees and rth OA seems to work ok just dangerously... I will be flying it in open fields a bit more before testing out those features again.

The green screen is nearly constant. I only get a clear picture a sec at a time and then back to green.

The green screen is nearly constant. I only get a clear picture a sec at a time and then back to green.
Which mobile device are you using?

Thanks for all the comments even the smart@** ones. Lol.

Not everything is explained in the full manual and a few things are explained but only vaguely.

I guess now i know OA is not enabled if the GPS signal is cutting out and switching to Atti mode. Also, had to ask about the RTH because im flying around and under trees which soon as you hit rth is a hazard as it'll go right up into the branches... Would be better if it just went straight to home in my case but that can also be a hazard... Of course it has gps on takeoff so the homepoint is recorded but the gps is spotty around large trees and rth seems to work ok just dangerously... I will be flying it in open fields a bit more before testing out those features again.

Could you post a screen shot of you green screen? I'm thinking its due to lag on a cheap device but we'll see.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!

Greg
Clearly, like most of us, you don't like to read the manual. I'll second the motion for you to RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual). The Mavic is an extremely capable, extremely complex drone, and if you don't know what you're doing as you take off, you will likely get up close and familiar with repair services. That said, if you don't like to read, go to YouTube. There are hundreds of videos there to teach you basics and advanced knowledge. Some of the people who post are really talkative, and you'll find yourself muttering, "OK OK, just get on with it," but there's a lot of good stuff out there too. DJI has some professionally created videos, too, which are very easy to understand. Enjoy!

Reactions: ksmusa
Clearly, like most of us, you don't like to read the manual. I'll second the motion for you to RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual). The Mavic is an extremely capable, extremely complex drone, and if you don't know what you're doing as you take off, you will likely get up close and familiar with repair services. That said, if you don't like to read, go to YouTube. There are hundreds of videos there to teach you basics and advanced knowledge. Some of the people who post are really talkative, and you'll find yourself muttering, "OK OK, just get on with it," but there's a lot of good stuff out there too. DJI has some professionally created videos, too, which are very easy to understand. Enjoy!

10-4 on all of that. I wish I had a SD slot in the side of my head. Pop a card in. Download. Instant manual in my head.

Just don't hit the "format memory" option:D!
I can't speak for everyone, but there are a lot of videos in YouTube that give you helpful information that's not in the manual. Some of the selections in the set up menus are a little cryptic. Two things that I found really helpful were the preflight checks (a lot of drones are lost because those checks aren't performed), and the settings to smooth the movement of the gimbal. The gimbal has a very jerky movement to it when you get your Mavic from the factory. There are settings which make its movement smoother and more cinematographic.
One other thing you may want to get familiar with is the FAA regulations on where and when you can fly your drone. More than one newbie has gotten in trouble through ignorance. We just had a kid here last summer who was flying his drone near an airport where they were staging fire-fighting aircraft during the big Northern California fires. His ignorance grounded the aircraft until the police could locate him, got his drone confiscated, and got him a court date. He was clearly just ignorant of the rules, but the authorities don't care... Be careful out there!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore