DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to forum from Tasmania

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Onward and Upward - Brisbane - Queensland

Or not too far to places where you are NOT allowed to fly in Tasmania...

I was sort of meaning not too far to drive any direction to get outta town ;) :)
Are you from there too ?

What you said is true to an extent in all states.

With Tas, yeah, all those beaut Nat Parks for a start.
Although worth the OP checking into it some more since they live there, some states will grant the ok if you are flying remote and have a short plan to take some footage.
If they get to know you're responsible (no, not for the crash into a Lake St Clair water taxi, lol) then you can build some goodwill with them over time.

A lot of the coast is probably ok, just some local council ranger might spot someone flying (if only for 20 - 30 mins though, unlucky) and give some grief if they have a bylaw ban on flying models on their land (one can take off / land outside the park etc, and fly over though).

The OP should read up on local councils (google their name and bylaw drone, see what comes up), download OpenSky and I'm sure in between usual NFZ and such, should find a few places.

Part of my job is to fly the Phantom 4 and my Mavic 2 pro to conduct aerial surveys and imagery.
When we have a job that is within the confines of a national park we are allowed to fly there as long as it was disclosed in the contract.

Otherwise National Parks are no-fly zones and it is very hard to get a permit to get around it.

Its a shame that it isn't included in the no fly zones in the Open-Sky app as there will be a lot of people who use this app and think they are ok to fly inside the parks. Some of them have signs up advising that it is prohibited but there are some parks that don't have this signage

CA
Part of my job is to fly the Phantom 4 and my Mavic 2 pro to conduct aerial surveys and imagery.
When we have a job that is within the confines of a national park we are allowed to fly there as long as it was disclosed in the contract.

Otherwise National Parks are no-fly zones and it is very hard to get a permit to get around it.

Its a shame that it isn't included in the no fly zones in the Open-Sky app as there will be a lot of people who use this app and think they are ok to fly inside the parks. Some of them have signs up advising that it is prohibited but there are some parks that don't have this signage
CASA fedral laws trump local laws. Still a hassle that may need to be fought in court so prob npt worth the effort

Unfortunately the national parks part isn't a local law, its national as by definition a drone (RPA) is an aircraft and that's where the restriction is applied

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: MavicMudgey

For sure getting permits for Nat Pks is probably worst in Tas, SA, Vic.
NSW slightly better but still a hassle.
NT you can get a yearly permit.
WA and QLD all open to CASA rules.

WA only changed from a general ban in the past 12 months or so, maybe one day the others will have another look and reconsider.

Anyway, enjoy the M2P and getting out there.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi from Howrah [emoji4]. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and fly it a bit down at Bruny- mainly Adventure Bay without restrictions, however when there was a Humpback in the Bay, I was cautioned by some guy (not a NP ranger) to make sure I was 300m away from it otherwise he would report me. A bit confrontational [emoji856].
I did a road trip to the Northern Territory recently and discovered too late that you can pretty apply for a NP permit, so only found 3 spots I could legally fly it. You can easily feel like a villain even getting it out of the bag[emoji27].
If you are in the Hobart area I'd be happy to meet up sometime. In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to meet up with any other interested drone pilots over coffee sometime. Would be a good opportunity to share info and flight/photo skills and experience.
Cheers,
Sean

Hi from Howrah [emoji4]. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and fly it a bit down at Bruny- mainly Adventure Bay without restrictions, however when there was a Humpback in the Bay, I was cautioned by some guy (not a NP ranger) to make sure I was 300m away from it otherwise he would report me. A bit confrontational [emoji856].
I did a road trip to the Northern Territory recently and discovered too late that you can pretty apply for a NP permit, so only found 3 spots I could legally fly it. You can easily feel like a villain even getting it out of the bag[emoji27].
If you are in the Hobart area I'd be happy to meet up sometime. In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to meet up with any other interested drone pilots over coffee sometime. Would be a good opportunity to share info and flight/photo skills and experience.
Cheers,
Sean
Hi Sean, sounds great, I'm down near Cygnet and have lovey view of Bruny from my property.

Would be good to meet another pilot. Reading some of the other posts in the forum, you don't often see another drone operating when you're out and about.

Luke

My sister-in-law lived in Melbourne for 4 years. She told me that Tasmania should be on everyone’s bucket list! ??

My sister-in-law lived in Melbourne for 4 years. She told me that Tasmania should be on everyone’s bucket list! ??
Amazing place, Tassie - many go down there believing they can drive around the "island" in just one day - they soon find out that it's as big as Victoria and can't reach their booking destinations in time... very, very pretty and scenic... west coast is wild and adventurous.. it has nearly everything that the mainland does, perhaps excepting crocodiles and the "rock"....
We have done Tassie twice now - the first time for 10 days with a vintage car club, the second time 6 weeks with our caravan.. and still didn't see it all.... don't be fooled, Tassie is a big state.... don't know how it compares to England, but there wouldn't be a lot of difference in size in it...

frats,
Rosco

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242