DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to forum, new to legally flying

dazapper

Reactions
I've been following many posts here, but wanted to wait until passing the 107 test before joining. As a freelance network cameraman for over 30 years, I fall into a category where the 107 license is necessary. As the popularity of drones took its meteoric rise, years ago I purchased a Phantom 2 and flew it a number of times, and crashed it accordingly. Many clients inquired about using drones, and at the time it was before the regulations were introduced. It was also a time of little obstacle avoidance and many tales of flyaways. Drone flying was not for the faint of heart, and still isn't. I've learned one must be fully prepared and to never take it lightly.

Lately, clients have insisted that a drone be a part of the camera package as another tool should it be needed. Even if it wasn't to be used, it is such a crowded field of freelancers, simply not having the option could mean losing the job. To remain competitive, not only do I need to have the tool, but the government requires the license. I took a course, and last week passed the test. There has been much to learn, and scanning these posts is extremely helpful.

There are many colleagues who have drones and use them in their work without the required license. I have to say it was something I never did even though it meant possibly losing the day of work. With the Magic Pro 2, flying is much safer than years ago, learning the regulations has been enlightening, and I look forward to bringing aerial video to clients.

Welcome to the forum . .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Thanks. Already today, your form reminded me to check my drone registration. I'd applied the old number from the Phantom, and today checked the FAA site only to realize the number was from 5 years ago. Everything is now updated with new numbers-- getting fully compliant!

Reactions: dirkclod and Mrmund
I've been following many posts here, but wanted to wait until passing the 107 test before joining. As a freelance network cameraman for over 30 years, I fall into a category where the 107 license is necessary. As the popularity of drones took its meteoric rise, years ago I purchased a Phantom 2 and flew it a number of times, and crashed it accordingly. Many clients inquired about using drones, and at the time it was before the regulations were introduced. It was also a time of little obstacle avoidance and many tales of flyaways. Drone flying was not for the faint of heart, and still isn't. I've learned one must be fully prepared and to never take it lightly.

Lately, clients have insisted that a drone be a part of the camera package as another tool should it be needed. Even if it wasn't to be used, it is such a crowded field of freelancers, simply not having the option could mean losing the job. To remain competitive, not only do I need to have the tool, but the government requires the license. I took a course, and last week passed the test. There has been much to learn, and scanning these posts is extremely helpful.

There are many colleagues who have drones and use them in their work without the required license. I have to say it was something I never did even though it meant possibly losing the day of work. With the Magic Pro 2, flying is much safer than years ago, learning the regulations has been enlightening, and I look forward to bringing aerial video to clients.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Congrats on your certification, enjoy your new M2P, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: BigRey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J