DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New TSA Regulations:If your taking your MP on a flight in the US, better get to the airport early.

flightmike

Reactions
What the TSA electronics screening change means for you. USA

The Transportation Security Administration announced Wednesday that officers want to take a closer look at electronics in carry-on bags, after hearing about terrorists getting better at hiding explosives.

How is screening changing?

At regular checkpoint lanes, TSA officers will ask travelers to remove all electronics larger than cellphones from carry-on bags and place them in bins for X-ray screening.
Nothing changes for Pre-check lanes, where laptops already remain in bags because travelers have provided more information about themselves to TSA.

Why bother looking at electronics one at a time?

Security experts say the clutter in bags sometimes makes it difficult to spot suspicious objects. By placing electronics in a separate bin, the goal is for officers to get a better look at each device — and the possible threats inside.

Won’t this slow down checkpoint lines?

TSA will station officers in front of X-ray machines to recommend how best to arrange electronics for screening. TSA has already tested the process at 10 airports: Boise, Boston, Colorado Springs, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Lubbock, San Juan and Phoenix.

When is it coming to other airports?

TSA will phase in the process at all U.S. airports in the coming months, as workers are trained, so as not to hinder lines.

Why the extra scrutiny?

John Kelly, secretary of Homeland Security, said intelligence suggests terrorists have found better ways to hide explosives in electronics. Rather than play whack-a-mole with each new threat, Kelly said he is raising the baseline for aviation security worldwide.

Reactions: jnspenc3
"remove all electronics larger than cellphones"...Wonder if that would exclude extra batteries

Looks like I'm going to have about 10 bins spread out on the conveyer belt. People behind me are going to love that.
Looks like I may be driving more.
Exactly...not sure when this goes into effect, but I'll find out the hard way. Flying out to Toledo next Tuesday, though I think I'll bring my Spark.

Exactly...not sure when this goes into effect, but I'll find out the hard way. Flying out to Toledo next Tuesday, though I think I'll bring my Spark.
It is being rolled out slowly across the US... I would assume the busiest airports will get it sooner than later. I have always had to open my case and have it swabbed anyways.
I also will need a fresh load of bins and an extended belt to make it through security as I partially undress and put my electronics in separate bins.:D

I already have 4 bins or more under the current rules so its already glacially slow (and even worse trying to repack the bag after the scan and hoping nobody steals anything while you're being scanned).
This will just make an already slow system even slower. Its also the only country in the world which does anything vaguely similar. Its all security theatre and also a great way to make money - inconvenience people as much as possible then charge them money to be inconvenienced less. Genius.

Reactions: Snickell
You're no less free with this policy than you were before. You can still carry your electronics on you to hearts content, it just gets inspected more closely.

Reactions: Snickell and Rbruz
Or do what i do, if at all possible avoid using US airports for transit and transfers. Not always possible, especially if you live there but if you don't there are far slicker, faster and more humane routes.

I have TSA Pre-check and I've flown with my Mavic from at least 10 different US cities. I've never once took it out of my bag (or took out anything else). If you only fly once or twice a year then maybe the $85 isn't worth it but once you go pre-check you won't go back.

Reactions: Forest
CBP Global Entry is what you guys should get if you are looking to get TSA pre-check. It's $100 for 5 years but you get Global Entry (kiosk in customs for international arrivals) PLUS TSA pre-check which by itself is $85.

If I didn't have pre-check I would probably have about 5/6 bins

Reactions: Rbruz and Oracle
We already had our plane rides for the year and it was smooth sailing when I brought all my gear. If we were going now with this new screening in place plus the tech my family was carrying.....geez!!

This might just be anecdotal, but I see so many people post instagram or snapchat pictures of themselves on the plane with pocket knives all the time. On top of that The TSA was tested and failed 95% of the time. They failed to detect explosives and weapons in 67/70 tests around the US.

Reactions: Rbruz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada