DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New user in Vegas

You should get an app such as Drone Buddy so you know where you can fly legally. The La Madre Wilderness Area covers much of the perimeter to the Red Rock loop and is closed to drones. Happy flying and welcome!!

You should get an app such as Drone Buddy so you know where you can fly legally. The La Madre Wilderness Area covers much of the perimeter to the Red Rock loop and is closed to drones. Happy flying and welcome!!
Thanks for your reply. I do a ton of research before getting into something, and in this case, my research involved the rules of where you can fly and under what conditions. It seems that the rules allow flying in Red Rock, including the very red rocks along the scenic loop opposite Calico Basin, everywhere on and around the scenic loop but not in the wilderness areas, including La Madre Wilderness and Rainbow mountain wilderness. These maps show where the wilderness areas are: Wilderness Areas Around Las Vegas, Rainbow Mountain Map Wilderness Areas Around Las Vegas, La Madre Mountain Map

It seems that the wilderness areas start right near the edges of the cliffs, there are often signs denoting the boundaries. But Rocky gap road is carved out, so drone can fly all along there, which is great since I have a jeep and love to drive up there. However, it also seems that the rules say you cannot takeoff or land in the wilderness areas, but apparently you can take off outside the wilderness and fly over it. That would suggest walking up to the edge of the wilderness, such as near the face of Mount Wilson, and then flying up into the canyons, and maybe even up to the summit, maybe legal. Comments?

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

I saw that Rocky Gap road was open part of the way up on the East side and it only covered the road itself as open. I'm not familiar with the ability to fly over restricted areas. I just went a bit further (4x4) to the Cottonwood Pass/Bird Springs/Wilson Tank areas to be safe. Maybe someone in the area with more experience than us can chime in.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.57657

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman