DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New User Question

Hi,
Just picked up the Air 2s a few days ago and it's my first ever drone. Wanted to use something bigger than a phone due to my eyesight (I can either see close or see far depending on choice of contacts or choice of glasses) so at least with the bigger screen I can enlarge the display.

My question is which least expensive choice works the Air 2s:

I am an android guy and would prefer something along those lines but not sure what works, does anyone have any hands on experience with android tablet on Air 2s?

I see most people use the more expensive option of Apple (never been a fan and have never used one). Does it matter which Ipad or GB should I have to go that route?

Still have yet to fly it, work has been rather all encompassing at the moment.

Thanks in advance
You’re smart to use a tablet. I used a smartphone only one time (last year) in the 4 years I’ve been flying and descended into a creek. The telemetry is WAY too small to see and react quickly.
An anti-glare screen protector makes a big difference, but you’ll still want a sun shade cause most tablets aren’t bright enough.

Was hoping to spend around $500, but was going to be a dual use as a normal tablet (my current tablet still works but is showing its age) as well as used for the drone. The Tripletek seems a little to specific. I am surprised that the DJI fly app has such high minimum requirements it would seems that it would discourage quite a few people from making the purchase. I did not even consider that it had requirements. I actually thought it would work on relatively current phones or tablets.

I would normally keep a phone for 4 years or more before changing it out, it's just dumb luck my current phone can work with the app but it is small.

I was thinking apple, but I was unaware of overheating and since brightness is similar to android tablet, I am not seeing a benefit. And now I need to find something with a compass and GPS? (Head is starting to spin) None of the apples have that unless it has cellular which I was not even considering. Is that the same with android or do I need them to have cellular too?

To put thing into perspective, there are new computer games that can still run on 5+ year old computers, it would not be that good but they can still run.

I did already order the "Mavmount Scout Adapter 4.7″-9″ so at least I have that going for me.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first drone...I fly the Mavic 2 Pro w/smart controller and love it. I'm a android guy myself so I went with DJI's smart controller for that reason, also to free up my phone. It's more money but very nice and I don't regret buying it at all. A thought for you, if in the future you're going to buy better/newer DJI drone here's a list of drones compatible with the smart controller. Stay safe, Fly Safe and have fun ! Thumbswayup
The DJI Smart Controller is compatible with Mini 2, Mavic Air 2Mavic 2 and Mavic 2 Enterprise Series and Phantm 4 Pro V2. 0.

Reactions: maggior and DeadEnd
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first drone...I fly the Mavic 2 Pro w/smart controller and love it. I'm a android guy myself so I went with DJI's smart controller for that reason, also to free up my phone. It's more money but very nice and I don't regret buying it at all. A thought for you, if in the future you're going to buy better/newer DJI drone here's a list of drones compatible with the smart controller. Stay safe, Fly Safe and have fun ! Thumbswayup
The DJI Smart Controller is compatible with Mini 2, Mavic Air 2Mavic 2 and Mavic 2 Enterprise Series and Phantm 4 Pro V2. 0.
Until DJI has a Smart Controller that actually works with the Air 2S I would recommened to stay away. DJI will sell you one for certain (individually or in a combo), but it needs a serious upgrade/update for the Air 2S. Way too many people with range/connection issues.

Well so much for going inexpensive... Since I wanted to have a dual used (drone and normal tablet) and wanted to try something new, I picked up a 12.9" iPad Pro Wi-Fi 256GB model. It did not look that big in the store but I don't have the mount to try it out yet.

Sooooo good call or mistake?

Did you get the cellular one?
No, just the normal M1 Wi-Fi version. I was not planning to get a data plan for the iPad. I can always attach to my phone via hotspot if I need internet. The cellular version was an additional $300.00.

Does that matter?

I’m in the same boat. That is, I’m considering an iPad.

My iPhone is amazing (iPhone 11) and has zero issues overheating or dimming (I’m in the sun 90% of the year here). My problem is my eyes and wanting a bigger screen.

It’s my understanding that the non-cellular don’t have a GPS chip and I thought that would be a problem somehow with the maps/location. Not 100% sure it matters?

You can hotspot the iPhone, true, but I didn’t want anymore steps or unnecessary tech with me.

Still undecided what to do ?

Given that the iPad was at $1,200 un-accessorized, it was hard to swallow $1,500.

I have watch you tube videos that show how apple castrated this iPad from what it could have been with the latest iOS 15. Again I am new to Apple, but the next update is next year... Not sure what to think of a company that wants you to PAY but does not want you to play. Maybe that's why I have never been a fan, but I wanted to see what all the hype is with apple, maybe I choose the wrong product but it was the latest and greatest.

So for now, the hot spot it is, again I did want to try something new.

Given that the iPad was at $1,200 un-accessorized, it was hard to swallow $1,500.

I have watch you tube videos that show how apple castrated this iPad from what it could have been with the latest iOS 15. Again I am new to Apple, but the next update is next year... Not sure what to think of a company that wants you to PAY but does not want you to play. Maybe that's why I have never been a fan, but I wanted to see what all the hype is with apple, maybe I choose the wrong product but it was the latest and greatest.

So for now, the hot spot it is, again I did want to try something new.
I’m sure you will have zero issues with the iPad. I have one (but older) and it’s been the best “lifestyle” piece of tech I’ve owned.

The Pro range is super-powerful for editing (get the LumaFusion app asap!) it will blow you away with it’s flawless ability to do 5.4K and 4K video - something that only a high-end Mac/Pc can do, and even then, questionably.

Reactions: DeadEnd
I’m sure you will have zero issues with the iPad. I have one (but older) and it’s been the best “lifestyle” piece of tech I’ve owned.

The Pro range is super-powerful for editing (get the LumaFusion app asap!) it will blow you away with it’s flawless ability to do 5.4K and 4K video - something that only a high-end Mac/Pc can do, and even then, questionably.
Well worst case scenario if I can't get the hang of apple would be to swap it with a Samsung S7+, I would be saving money too.

And now I need to find something with a compass and GPS? ... None of the apples have that unless it has cellular which I was not even considering.
Is that the same with android or do I need them to have cellular too?
All Apple devices have a compass.
There's really very little use for a GPS in the tablet, but almost all Android tablets have both anyway.
There are a couple of weird Lenovo and Samsung models that don't have a compass and/or GPS.

If you are shopping for an Android device, Huawei make some of the best flying tablets.
I've used their M3 and M5 and both are outstanding, running the DJI apps flawlessly
Their newer M6 looks pretty good on paper too.

Well so much for going inexpensive... Since I wanted to have a dual used (drone and normal tablet) and wanted to try something new, I picked up a 12.9" iPad Pro Wi-Fi 256GB model. It did not look that big in the store but I don't have the mount to try it out yet.

Sooooo good call or mistake?
That one is going to be top heavy. Make sure you get a tablet holder that has a lanyard plus you will need a larger sunshade for it. I have the Mini 5 with the sunshade that I made.
IMG_20200714_074420.jpg IMG_20200714_074432.jpg

Reactions: JG4272 and pommy
That one is going to be top heavy. Make sure you get a tablet holder that has a lanyard plus you will need a larger sunshade for it. I have the Mini 5 with the sunshade that I made.
View attachment 133738 View attachment 133739
I was hoping since this had a high nits that a sunshade would not be required but I guess I should bring it outside to see how it looks. Yup when I purchased the MavMount Scout, I mad sure that I got the lanyard too. It's currently en route but shows as delayed on USPS.

May I ask what the sunshade is made of? Looks like plastic or foam board.

Hi,
Just picked up the Air 2s a few days ago and it's my first ever drone. Wanted to use something bigger than a phone due to my eyesight (I can either see close or see far depending on choice of contacts or choice of glasses) so at least with the bigger screen I can enlarge the display.

I am an android guy and would prefer something along those lines but not sure what works, does anyone have any hands on experience with android tablet on Air 2s?

I see most people use the more expensive option of Apple (never been a fan and have never used one). Does it matter which Ipad or GB should I have to go that route?

Thanks in advance
I am also an Android phone user but for drones an Ipad mini 5 is my choice for the perfect size. Not too big but you can see everything OK. Be sure to get one with 4G service (not just WiFi) so you have good GPS maps available real time anywhere you go. You can also get holders that mount the Ipad mini above the controller so everything is very comfortable and easy to see when you fly. I also added a neck strap with quick connect for long flights. I fly a Mavic 2 Pro as the videos are incredible and programming options are great

Reactions: pommy
I am also an Android phone user but for drones an Ipad mini 5 is my choice for the perfect size. Not too big but you can see everything OK. Be sure to get one with 4G service (not just WiFi) so you have good GPS maps available real time anywhere you go. You can also get holders that mount the Ipad mini above the controller so everything is very comfortable and easy to see when you fly. I also added a neck strap with quick connect for long flights. I fly a Mavic 2 Pro as the videos are incredible and programming options are great
So you need a dedicated cellular plan for the GPS Maps? Does it work without a plan or do you still internet for mapping? Still new to all this so not sure how this all works.

Hi,

Thanks in advance

DeadEnd. I use a Samsung A8 tablet with an additional memory card. I bought mine at Best Buy with wireless only for just over $100. Has been working fine with my Air 2S. Also, tried several tablet holders (RCGEEK 10" Tablet Holder, not secure enough and I feel that it could damage the antenna since it clamps onto the metal rods, Hanatora 4-11 Inch Tablet Holder Mount Bracket, too close to remote and not enough adjustments) and found that the expensive one, LifThor Baldur Tablet Holder was the best for me. Now I have a couple of small issues but not enough to return it. With the larger screen though, you need to be in the shade while flying or get one of those sun shields for it. I love the larger screen for these old eyes.

Good luck!

May I ask what the sunshade is made of? Looks like plastic or foam board.

If you'd like to purchase one, this is nice and fits the mini 4 / 5.

I've used it with my Spark and mini4. It works well at blocking the light from all four sides.

I actually picked up a 12.9 iPad Pro, but I need to see if I like iPad. I am first time user of both apple and drones

I actually picked up a 12.9 iPad Pro, but I need to see if I like iPad. I am first time user of both apple and drones

Oops. ?

Sorry about that. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s