DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New User Question

I bought the Tripltek Pro. Sure it isnt' the latest tech, but it is 64 bit, has a battery to save all batteries (I can literally charge my remote with it, then fly, it's 10,000 mah). and the 1200 screen is brighter than my Galaxy S10 (which claims 1200 NITs). And the screen size is great, it is also ruggedized, meaning it can take a fall or 10 without much damage as long as it doesn't hit the screen, or land in snow without concern.

Not being an apple fan, and preferring android, this was definitely the way to go. It is heavy, and required a tablet mount, and I have the DJI Shoulder harness/lanyard which takes the strain off your neck and places it on your shoulders. I have used DJI Fly, Go4, DroneDeploy, Litchi, and Measure Ground Control and all work flawlessly (faster and easier than my Galaxy S10). And I have it just use my cell phone as a Wifi hotspot when it needs to get online if I am not at home. The Tripltek is purpose built for drones.

Dual purposing, one issue I hated when using my phone, is getting notifications or calls when I was flying. At the wrong time it can really cause a panic, so I actually prefer to get it online, download maps, etc, and then switch off wifi. I use mine solely for flights, so I don't have to do that on this one, but my phone and other tablets before this, I used airplane mode on them once I was ready to take off.

Reactions: MA2 317 and DeadEnd
So you need a dedicated cellular plan for the GPS Maps? Does it work without a plan or do you still internet for mapping?
You don't need a dedicated cellular plan to have maps.
You don't need a cellular-equipped iPad to have maps.
And most of the time you don't really need maps anyway.

If you really want maps, you can get them by either hotspotting from your phone, or caching them in advance at home.

Reactions: DeadEnd
I bought the Tripltek Pro. Sure it isnt' the latest tech, but it is 64 bit, has a battery to save all batteries (I can literally charge my remote with it, then fly, it's 10,000 mah). and the 1200 screen is brighter than my Galaxy S10 (which claims 1200 NITs). And the screen size is great, it is also ruggedized, meaning it can take a fall or 10 without much damage as long as it doesn't hit the screen, or land in snow without concern.

Not being an apple fan, and preferring android, this was definitely the way to go. It is heavy, and required a tablet mount, and I have the DJI Shoulder harness/lanyard which takes the strain off your neck and places it on your shoulders. I have used DJI Fly, Go4, DroneDeploy, Litchi, and Measure Ground Control and all work flawlessly (faster and easier than my Galaxy S10). And I have it just use my cell phone as a Wifi hotspot when it needs to get online if I am not at home. The Tripltek is purpose built for drones.

Dual purposing, one issue I hated when using my phone, is getting notifications or calls when I was flying. At the wrong time it can really cause a panic, so I actually prefer to get it online, download maps, etc, and then switch off wifi. I use mine solely for flights, so I don't have to do that on this one, but my phone and other tablets before this, I used airplane mode on them once I was ready to take off.
Sounds good. I almost bought the Tripltek Pro but then I found out about the Samsung Galaxy Active3 Enterprise and when I compared them, the Samsung was more appealing to me. I guess I believe there's a point once you pass a certain nit threshhold, it's just numbers if you have a weak display. Should have it this week.

Sounds good. I almost bought the Tripltek Pro but then I found out about the Samsung Galaxy Active3 Enterprise and when I compared them, the Samsung was more appealing to me. I guess I believe there's a point once you pass a certain nit threshhold, it's just numbers if you have a weak display. Should have it this week.
The brightness of the device is arguably the most important feature to enjoy flying your drone. The Tripltek is 3 times brighter than the Active 3, but I guess you need to experience it by yourself.

Last edited:
They have a 10.1" version too, guess if the iPad does not work out that's definitely an option

The brightness of the device is arguably the most important feature to enjoy flying your drone. The Tripltek is 3 times brighter than the Active 3, but I guess you need to experience it by yourself.
Two things: brightness is the ONLY feature of the Tripltek that stands out (apparently) and even then it is not 3 times brighter. Unless there's some magic nit math that says 1200 candles/m2 is 3 times 700 candles/m2. Yes it is brighter, but there is more to a display than does it burn your eyeballs.

They have a 10.1" version too, guess if the iPad does not work out that's definitely an option
The Active3 and the Active Pro have some similarities. But as far as rugged tablets go, they're pretty sweet. The Tripltek is a fat pig in comparison. Oink oink.

I found a tablet you might like and currently use. Its called Dragontouch on Amazon. 64 bit process. 4Gb ram. 10inch screen. Under $300.

Hi,
Just picked up the Air 2s a few days ago and it's my first ever drone. Wanted to use something bigger than a phone due to my eyesight (I can either see close or see far depending on choice of contacts or choice of glasses) so at least with the bigger screen I can enlarge the display.

My question is which least expensive choice works the Air 2s:

I am an android guy and would prefer something along those lines but not sure what works, does anyone have any hands on experience with android tablet on Air 2s?

I see most people use the more expensive option of Apple (never been a fan and have never used one). Does it matter which Ipad or GB should I have to go that route?

Still have yet to fly it, work has been rather all encompassing at the moment.

Thanks in advance
I'm with you completely on the apple dilemma, only I HAVE used them and will take Android any day. I have used a Samsung Tab S3. It has full functionality but is a bit on the pricey side at around $750+ when I got it. They're onto the S7 now and they cost even more. Now I use the DJI Smart Controller and like it much better. They come with a shade screen that can sit on the top of the remote and create shade for the screen, or they make a silicone glove that fits around the entire remote that also has a shade for the monitor built in. I tried the red silicone one but if it was really bright outside the red caused too much reflection. The black silicone skin works much better. If you go the tablet route, I suggest finding one with the AMOLED or OLED screen (AMOLED - Active Matrix Organic LED or just Organic LED for the OLED). The OLED screens are many times brighter than the TFT displays which are LCD screens. You will pay more for the OLED screens but you cannot beat the visibility in all viewing environments. Most importantly, find something that you are fully comfortable with, no matter the features, and you're sure to have a lot of fun flying.

Good to know, I thought that it listed the most recent tablets, it showed a few 2020 models. I'll check some of the specs on the current android tablets.

I am surprised, I thought apple had some sort of fancy screen that's better than the android counter parts.
Some Apple iPads use LCD screens where the top of the line iPads use a sort of LED screen. There are also some tablets, also the top of the line options for their brand, that use the OLED screens. OLED = Organic LED, and they are typically much brighter than LCDs. LCDs have to use a separate light to make the screen visible in the dark. They typically use a series of lights around the edge or a grid of lights behind the screen. With an OLED screen, each individual pixel is emitting its own light. It makes for much brighter picture in all lighting conditions. Samsung uses AMOLED screens, Active Matrix Organic LED screens and I had no problem seeing my screen when outdoors (I also used a shroud around the screen because direct sunlight can obscure any screen) and now I won't buy a tablet without it. AMOLED and OLED screens are a younger technology and they do add to the overall price of the device, so watch out for that. There was somebody else that I heard uses OLED screens, but I cannot remember who they are at the moment.

Hi,
Just picked up the Air 2s a few days ago and it's my first ever drone. Wanted to use something bigger than a phone due to my eyesight (I can either see close or see far depending on choice of contacts or choice of glasses) so at least with the bigger screen I can enlarge the display.

My question is which least expensive choice works the Air 2s:

I am an android guy and would prefer something along those lines but not sure what works, does anyone have any hands on experience with android tablet on Air 2s?

I see most people use the more expensive option of Apple (never been a fan and have never used one). Does it matter which Ipad or GB should I have to go that route?

Still have yet to fly it, work has been rather all encompassing at the moment.

Thanks in advance
One other thing about Samsung Galaxy Tab series tablets--they come with the same memory options as all other top of the line tablets, but they have the added advantage of having an SD card slot. They say the slot is only good up to 128 gb or 256 gb (I forget which) but I use a 1 TB card in mine and the tablet has no issues reading every single file on the card. I've been running a 1 TB card for 3 years now and the tablet offers no objection to it. Apple doesn't have that on any of their tablets. Not many manufacturers offer it.

Some Apple iPads use LCD screens where the top of the line iPads use a sort of LED screen. There are also some tablets, also the top of the line options for their brand, that use the OLED screens. OLED = Organic LED, and they are typically much brighter than LCDs. LCDs have to use a separate light to make the screen visible in the dark. They typically use a series of lights around the edge or a grid of lights behind the screen. With an OLED screen, each individual pixel is emitting its own light. It makes for much brighter picture in all lighting conditions. Samsung uses AMOLED screens, Active Matrix Organic LED screens and I had no problem seeing my screen when outdoors (I also used a shroud around the screen because direct sunlight can obscure any screen) and now I won't buy a tablet without it. AMOLED and OLED screens are a younger technology and they do add to the overall price of the device, so watch out for that. There was somebody else that I heard uses OLED screens, but I cannot remember who they are at the moment.
Thanks very useful info, if the iPad (still playing with the M1 Pro 12.9) does not work out I'll be going to the S7+. I do like that option of adding a SD card.
Check this out click
HERE
Link does not work

Thanks very useful info, if the iPad (still playing with the M1 Pro 12.9) does not work out I'll be going to the S7+. I do like that option of adding a SD card.

Link does not work
One thing about the S7+, it is currently on backorder. Has been since before June. It only just became available to order in the last 2 days but is not expected to ship until the 10th of Sep. I know this because I have been checking weekly for it since the 1st week of June. I only just ordered mine this morning (Aug 25th).

One thing about the S7+, it is currently on backorder. Has been since before June. It only just became available to order in the last 2 days but is not expected to ship until the 10th of Sep. I know this because I have been checking weekly for it since the 1st week of June. I only just ordered mine this morning (Aug 25th).
Interesting that might be a regional thing, they have it over at my local Best Buy and on sale too. Well at least the 128GB version.

I am having fun with the iPad though so it seems I am going to keep it. But I do appreciate everyone help, I know if someone else is looking for alternative tablet, this thread will help.

Truthfully, if I someone else made this this thread and I came across it I would have gone for the S7+ but I already purchased the iPad...

Last edited:
Reactions: diesel97
So just an update, had a chance to fly the Air 2s today. Only one battery pack due to the 95 temp today.

I will say that the iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen is large but what you can see is incredible compared to my LG G7. No Issues with heat, again only one pack but it was 95 and very humid. Used a lanyard but was holding it most of the time, did not need a sunshade even in the sunlight. Actually had some friends looking over my shoulder and was impressed by clarity of the video (non-drone pilots).

Overall very happy with the iPad.

Reactions: diesel97
So just an update, had a chance to fly the Air 2s today. Only one battery pack due to the 95 temp today.

I will say that the iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen is large but what you can see is incredible compared to my LG G7. No Issues with heat, again only one pack but it was 95 and very humid. Used a lanyard but was holding it most of the time, did not need a sunshade even in the sunlight. Actually had some friends looking over my shoulder and was impressed by clarity of the video (non-drone pilots).

Overall very happy with the iPad.
How did you mount something that size to the 2S controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent