DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New web application in Greece. Pilot&Quad registration and Flight plan submission approval required

Hexagon

Reactions
Things just got serious if you want to go by the book in Greece. A brand new web based app is on air since yesterday, 25th of May, where Greek pilots, both recreational and professionals, are required to register themselves as well as their quads.

Moreover, after successful registration, each flight must be submitted one hour before and requires approval by the system (automated in most cases) in order to be performed. No fees applied at all for recreational flyers.

App is Called Drone Aware and includes a complete framework to manage all your flights. At this point only Greek Citizens are able to register since it requires official tax data.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

A quick guide can be found here: https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/DAGR_QS.pdf

I think this is the first country, and correct me if I am wrong, that requires flight plan submission and approval before every flight.

I have already registered myself and my mavic as well as plotted my flights for the weekend. 2-3 approvals and 1 big no go because of Heliport perimeter.

Your thoughts? Would you be happy or not regarding new laws if you were living in Greece?

Last edited:
No. We Romanians beat you at that :D
Honestly, now: We have to submit a flight plan to our Ministry Of Defense for every flight we perform, regardless of area. Of PERMITTED area, I mean; because for already NFZ you cannot get any exception, not even with flight plan from MoD.

Oh, I wish we would have such an app!
We do it either by phone or by mail; at least 30 minutes before flying, providing the MoD the following info: Name of the UAV operator, UAV registration nr. (everything above 500 gr is considered aircraft and has to be registered; the fee is 90 EUR; regardless if it is a Mavic or a Learjet), the flight area (GPS coordinates and the radius of flight from the starting GPS point) flying altitude and the timeframe you are planing to fly. You either get a "yes" or a "no".

Wow, so it can get worse... thanks for the info Capra. So no flight logs if the whole thing is communicated verbally. No proof that you fly legit if someone asks for permit. Insane...

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
No. Well, basically, if someone would like to investigate, you first have to show them the registration paper and the number - which are mandatory anyway for the Mavic - and from there it is them who call the MoD and check whether you have announced/declared this flight to the MoD or not.

I think you should know one more detail about flying drones in Ro: Flying within city limits is totally forbidden. So only outside city limits is allowed.

Reactions: Hexagon
that's a pity...
I know. As stated in other threads, I have some nice ideas about putting drones to work; I even would have the money to invest in such a business. Yet with these current rules in place there's no chance for me (or others) to even think of the kind.

Oh, and about the registration; here's some other creepy thing: Once the aircraft is registered (with that 90 EUR fee), you get a registration sticker on the Mavic (starting with "YR- and a number; just like all other aircraft have in RO), and they glue a RFID identification chip to your drone. So, the aircraft is registered in their database with the serial number and can be identified with a RFID reader if someone from the authorities wants to really check.

Yet, here's the issue: Let's say one has purchased DJI care refresh (which is my case as well). Assuming I smash my Mavic in a tree, and assuming DJI would agree replacing it with a new one, I would still need to re-register again, as - yes, you guessed it right! - the registration is valid only for THAT aircraft; with THAT serial number; not for a replacement! So, another 90 EUR would go from my pocket to the beloved Romanian authorities...

I feel sorry for you my friend. All these do not sound very logical. It sounds more 'money' than safety related stuff. I is amazing what you have to go through to go by the book

Things just got serious if you want to go by the book in Greece. A brand new web based app is on air since yesterday, 25th of May, where Greek pilots, both recreational and professionals, are required to register themselves as well as their quads.

Moreover, after successful registration, each flight must be submitted one hour before and requires approval by the system (automated in most cases) in order to be performed. No fees applied at all for recreational flyers.

App is Called Drone Aware and includes a complete framework to manage all your flights. At this point only Greek Citizens are able to register since it requires official tax data.

View attachment 13657 View attachment 13658 View attachment 13659 View attachment 13660 View attachment 13661

A quick guide can be found here: https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/DAGR_QS.pdf

I think this is the first country, and correct me if I am wrong, that requires flight plan submission and approval before every flight.

I have already registered myself and my mavic as well as plotted my flights for the weekend. 2-3 approvals and 1 big no go because of Heliport perimeter.

Your thoughts? Would you be happy or not regarding new laws if you were living in Greece?

What about none Greek citizens? I'll be in Rhodes in July. Can I fly my bird there?

I know. As stated in other threads, I have some nice ideas about putting drones to work; I even would have the money to invest in such a business. Yet with these current rules in place there's no chance for me (or others) to even think of the kind.

Oh, and about the registration; here's some other creepy thing: Once the aircraft is registered (with that 90 EUR fee), you get a registration sticker on the Mavic (starting with "YR- and a number; just like all other aircraft have in RO), and they glue a RFID identification chip to your drone. So, the aircraft is registered in their database with the serial number and can be identified with a RFID reader if someone from the authorities wants to really check.

Yet, here's the issue: Let's say one has purchased DJI care refresh (which is my case as well). Assuming I smash my Mavic in a tree, and assuming DJI would agree replacing it with a new one, I would still need to re-register again, as - yes, you guessed it right! - the registration is valid only for THAT aircraft; with THAT serial number; not for a replacement! So, another 90 EUR would go from my pocket to the beloved Romanian authorities...

I cant imagine drones are particularly popular as a hobby in Romania...Or are they? At least you have smoking hot women! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ