DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York City Area

FLYBOYJ

Reactions
A Question - I know that flying in Manhattan is off limits, but what about the other 4 boroughs? (Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island). I'm headed to the area next week and actually want to take some video that I intend to use commercially (Part 107) and I plan to do this on Staten Island (and outside KEWR airspace). I've seen some other threads on this and it seems there is no specific law but rather "policy" against most sUAV operations. Any updates or new information?

Appreciate any tips or info!

Last edited:
My brother lives in Staten Island & the only time he has a problem is when pumpkin head is around. Then he can't even start it :(
Thanks for the info Doug! I didn't realize that DJI could lock down our drones during a presidential TFR.

Will you be flying over people or populated areas, i.e. housing, industrial, business districts? Basically any place that is densely populated is a risk to fly over. You never know when you are going to loose control and go down. I try to fly super early on a Sunday, to get my city shots.

Regards

David Terrazas

Will you be flying over people or populated areas, i.e. housing, industrial, business districts? Basically any place that is densely populated is a risk to fly over. You never know when you are going to loose control and go down. I try to fly super early on a Sunday, to get my city shots.

Regards

David Terrazas

David - I appreciate your input - first of all I hold a 107 certificate as well as a commercial pilot's certificate. Loosing control of any of the drones I own is never an issue and as a 107 operator I would never fly them over a densely populated area. I've been in the tri-state area since Thursday and managed to get everything I was hoping for while flying under part 107.

No worries, just looking for clarification. I, as well hold both certificates and I try to avoid flying over these areas. I fly in the Adirondack area mostly so it is usually not an issue but it has happened unexpectantly that people are there and I simply fly away.

But the 5 boroughs...whew, there is always something going on and people around

Good luck...

A Question - I know that flying in Manhattan is off limits, but what about the other 4 boroughs? (Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island). I'm headed to the area next week and actually want to take some video that I intend to use commercially (Part 107) and I plan to do this on Staten Island (and outside KEWR airspace). I've seen some other threads on this and it seems there is no specific law but rather "policy" against most sUAV operations. Any updates or new information?

This was several weeks ago.

When you going to be on SI? I live there and would like to see you "take-off" I know of one are that has a local RC club to fly. Let me know how to get in touch. My email is (same name as here)@yahoo.com

Lets ignore the local NYC regulations (which say you can't fly anywhere outside of some very specific spots i don't remember) for a moment...

Most of the NYC and adjustent NJ area across the Hudson is a controlled airspace from very, VERY active airports. In addition, there is a lot of tour helicopters traffic, advertisement planes above the Hudson, and whats not.

I am not being a drone police here and saying "never take off", but really, don't fly high. Nobody going to care if you fly 5 feet above the river, or a tree, but don't go onto air traffic or any near it.

David - I appreciate your input - first of all I hold a 107 certificate as well as a commercial pilot's certificate. Loosing control of any of the drones I own is never an issue and as a 107 operator I would never fly them over a densely populated area. I've been in the tri-state area since Thursday and managed to get everything I was hoping for while flying under part 107.

Not trying to butt in to the middle of a conversation with diverting comments but here goes anyway.

What does having a 107 or commercial pilots license or ability to fly the space shuttle as far as that goes have anything to do with loosing control over a drone?

Just saying if signal is lost due to interference from some other strong source then signal is lost what qualifications a person has isn’t going to suddenly make the signal come back.

Unless your talking about knowing where to fly legally and not and that just has to do with knowing what airspace your in.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Not trying to butt in to the middle of a conversation with diverting comments but here goes anyway.

What does having a 107 or commercial pilots license or ability to fly the space shuttle as far as that goes have anything to do with loosing control over a drone?

Just saying if signal is lost due to interference from some other strong source then signal is lost what qualifications a person has isn’t going to suddenly make the signal come back.

Unless your talking about knowing where to fly legally and not and that just has to do with knowing what airspace your in.

And I'm just saying that I have enough common sense to know not to fly in an area that IF I lost control of my drone it would not endanger people or property. I'm also saying that with 40 years of aviation experience and close to 1200 hours flying airplanes I think I know a little more than some who post on here.

Allen, unless you're in the NYC area or have something to add with regards to NYC local anti-drone policies, please mind your own business,

Last edited:
Lets ignore the local NYC regulations (which say you can't fly anywhere outside of some very specific spots i don't remember) for a moment...

Most of the NYC and adjustent NJ area across the Hudson is a controlled airspace from very, VERY active airports. In addition, there is a lot of tour helicopters traffic, advertisement planes above the Hudson, and whats not.

I am not being a drone police here and saying "never take off", but really, don't fly high. Nobody going to care if you fly 5 feet above the river, or a tree, but don't go onto air traffic or any near it.
Actually you're wrong - look at a sectional. There are plenty of areas where the lower portions of JFK, EWR, and LGA class B don't touch. If you're flying under 107 the heliports are a non event, just stay out of the helicopter low level routes that are also found on charts. BTW, I go no higher than 150' and no further than a 500' radius from where I launch. I'm wrapping up my trip and had no issues or conflicts where I flew, again, all outside of controlled airspace.

PS - also called FSS and checked for TFRs

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
When you going to be on SI? I live there and would like to see you "take-off" I know of one are that has a local RC club to fly. Let me know how to get in touch. My email is (same name as here)@yahoo.com
I was there Thursday - got some great shots on the west and north shore just outside of Newark's airspace

Actually you're wrong - look at a sectional. There are plenty of areas where the lower portions of JFK, EWR, and LGA class B don't touch. If you're flying under 107 the heliports are a non event, just stay out of the helicopter low level routes that are also found on charts. BTW, I go no higher than 150' and no further than a 500' radius from where I launch. I'm wrapping up my trip and had no issues or conflicts where I flew, again, all outside of controlled airspace.

PS - also called FSS and checked for TFRs
You are right, pretty much the entire south of Manhattan and west half of Brooklyn. I stand corrected.screenshot.jpeg

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You are right, pretty much the entire south of Manhattan and west half of Brooklyn. I stand corrected.

What I discovered is NYC considers drones "aircraft" under FAR 1, and they are correct. With that said they have ordinances that mandate aircraft to be operated from approved airports or heliports and will cite you accordingly. The actual enforcement of this policy varies from borough to borough. You could probably thank Casey Neistat and a few others for that.

It's NYC, so be careful. If a cop sees you they will respond harshly. I fly around the Bronx and Brooklyn, but once I see a cop car I hide my controller from sight and start looking down, as to not draw attention to myself. Not that I am doing any wrong, its just their mentality to attack and ask questions later. Other than that, happy flying.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
It's NYC, so be careful. If a cop sees you they will respond harshly. I fly around the Bronx and Brooklyn, but once I see a cop car I hide my controller from sight and start looking down, as to not draw attention to myself. Not that I am doing any wrong, its just their mentality to attack and ask questions later. Other than that, happy flying.
Thanks for your input. I took my Mavic Air and flew in areas where there were little or no people. In the air it could barely be heard. I got some shots along a shoreline and over empty piers and got some great Manhattan skyline

Last year I asked a police officer if I was allowed to fly in Battery Park. That was allowed but of course not above people. Ik took of bij the water immediatly coursed above the water. Beautiful pictures, allow bij the NYPD, No problem
On the DJI map you can see that there are enough places to fly , of course not above people. The outsite of Manhatten above the water is perfect to fly.
Film on www.mydrones.nl

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS