DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Zealand (Leaving my drone home)

Being a local I can say take it, you won’t regret it. I have flown an air and P4P many times with no issues. You can even fly within the 4km zone as long as it’s shielded. Some of my favour local spots are in the ChCh restricted zone.
Not that it should matter but there is zero policing.
NZ has a tiny population compared to its land size. Unless you fly it in the city centre or popular tourist spots no-one will know you’re there.
The only time people have approached me is to say how cool it looks. Either avoid the public or let them have a look at the screen.
It also doesn’t hurt to ask if you can fly over private property. I’ve never been turned down if you’re polite. That’s what you’ll find about Kiwis, we’re pretty easy going (unless it’s a government department like DOC). Try some of the places you’ll be staying.
And in my unbiased opinion as a born and bred Mainlander, the South Island is definitely better??

Just to add, DOC have seen this as a great money making exercise. I agree above, there is plenty of private land beside DOC areas to ask to fly on.
And I have found the South Island to be less restrictive (another plug).
Happy travels.

As a local too I would say – bring your drone. You will probably regret it if you don’t.
To see where you can/can’t fly, Google ‘DOC Maps’ and apply the ‘Public Conservation Areas’ filter on the left of the screen. This will clearly show you those areas of the country which are National Park and Conservation areas.
Have great trip to GodsOwn.
Don’t be too swayed by biased South Islanders. There is some fantastic scenery in the North Island too, beaches, white water rivers, volcanoes, etc.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada