DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBE needing help.

An IPAD without data connection, in airplane mode works best for me. And I have an android phone, but direct sunlight or outdoors on my phone is difficult enough without monitoring video.

A couple of other hints and ideas
  1. Spend some time in tripod mode, it makes it so the drone wont fly as fast while you are still learning the controls
  2. NEVER fly in ATTI mode until you are familiar with flying
  3. Try to orient yourself to the drone ie, face where the drone is facing so that your actions on the stick reflect what the drone is doing (be safe when doing this, see note 4)
  4. Always keep a line of sight, or NEVER lose sight of your drone
Other than that, the drone flies itself and generally knows what is going on. (Like when your drone gets stuck in a tree, it realizes this and stops the rotors, true story)

WHAT HE SAID!!!... my Bad, didn't grasp that you wanted to link your phone / ipad / whatever to your controller via WIFI... (maybe I didn't read your post thoroughly... sorry )

I thought you were talking about a wifi connection to internet.
YES, Maldor is correct .... use data cable to connect to controller!!! phone can be offline totally if you want.
That's what I do as my personal preference - no wifi, no cellular data.

Hi, asewest. Other people have said that you don't (yet) need to register. If I understand your problem with WiFi correctly, you will never fix this using WiFi only. Either your phone will talk to a router or it will talk to the Mavic - it can't do both simultaneously. If you want you phone to be online as you pilot, you will have to use cellular data; but Irecommend that you use the remote controller, connected by cable to your phone. That way, the phone can be online via WiFi, and you will have control through the RC. It is much easier, in my experience, to fly with control using the RC rather than with WiFi.

Otherwise, find an open space (50 metres from anyone or thing and nowhere near an airport), launch it and play, starting, as others have suggested, with beginner mode, which should stop you from doing anything too egregious.
Thank you. Sounds like the route I'll take.

I'm waiting for this mod.....
67088e8ac22699cd3ebe0d6ebfe45f2a.jpg
Reminds me of my NAVY days... :)

Reactions: KevinMac
Although an FAA Certified fixed wing, single and multi engine instrument rated commercial pilot, I have no idea how to fly my MAVIC Pro. So have a few questions.
1. Does the registration number issued need to be placarded on the drone similar to the "N" number on US registered aircraft?
2. I cannot simultaneously access the drone and my cell phone using WIFI. I drop one or the other trying to calibrate for flight.

I'm anxious to do my first solo flight but don't want to have a "mishap" in the process.

Thank you
asewest

There are tons of YouTube videos. That is how I learned to fly. Put it in beginner mode and make sure all crash avoidance are turned on. If you REALLY want to make it easy, put it in "tripod mode." That will limit your speed to about 3mph or so.

Reactions: Maldor
Remember, they are called Obstacle Avoidance sensors, NOT Crash Prevention sensors. They CAN help in the right circumstances, but they are only on the FRONT, they DONT work in Sports mode, and they dont detect Everything. Do not rely on them under any circumstance, as I have seen many newbies do just before they complain about their crash.

To answer your questions:
1) Registration is no longer required but when it was the number could be anywhere. I put mine inside the battery compartment.
2) As others have stated; use the controller to control the Mavic. Connect your phone to the controller with a cable and put your phone in airplane mode when flying. It will not be interrupted by phone calls and the battery should last longer since it will not try to connect to the cellular network.

I watched a lot of drone crash videos to see what not to do. I found that most crashes were from flying any direction other than forward, flying indoors, flying too fast, wrong return to home (RTH) altitude setting, and flying in a confined area (trees, buildings, etc). Before flying the first time perform the recommended calibrations. I would really recommend on your first flight to start with the Mavic facing away from you in an open field. In that orientation the right stick and Mavic movements will be the same and there will be nothing to run into. If the grass is too tall for the Mavic, use a car floor mat for a landing pad. If it is not moving as you expect it to, take your fingers off the sticks and it will stop and hover. That will give you time to collect your thoughts and regain control. To stop it from doing something automatic (RTH, landing, special mode) the cancel button on your controller should stop it. If flying indoors I strongly recommend a set of prop guards and keep at least a foot away from the ceiling. Depending on the lighting and floor it will drift a bit and if you are too close to the ceiling it will suck itself right to it.

A good beginner tip video is at:
. YouTube is your friend here. By the time I actually received my Mavic I was already very confident that I knew how it worked. The Mavic is really easy to fly. It is amazingly stable even in strong winds.

Reactions: spwalker
To answer your questions:
1) Registration is no longer required but when it was the number could be anywhere. I put mine inside the battery compartment.
2) As others have stated; use the controller to control the Mavic. Connect your phone to the controller with a cable and put your phone in airplane mode when flying. It will not be interrupted by phone calls and the battery should last longer since it will not try to connect to the cellular network.

I watched a lot of drone crash videos to see what not to do. I found that most crashes were from flying any direction other than forward, flying indoors, flying too fast, wrong return to home (RTH) altitude setting, and flying in a confined area (trees, buildings, etc). Before flying the first time perform the recommended calibrations. I would really recommend on your first flight to start with the Mavic facing away from you in an open field. In that orientation the right stick and Mavic movements will be the same and there will be nothing to run into. If the grass is too tall for the Mavic, use a car floor mat for a landing pad. If it is not moving as you expect it to, take your fingers off the sticks and it will stop and hover. That will give you time to collect your thoughts and regain control. To stop it from doing something automatic (RTH, landing, special mode) the cancel button on your controller should stop it. If flying indoors I strongly recommend a set of prop guards and keep at least a foot away from the ceiling. Depending on the lighting and floor it will drift a bit and if you are too close to the ceiling it will suck itself right to it.

A good beginner tip video is at:
. YouTube is your friend here. By the time I actually received my Mavic I was already very confident that I knew how it worked. The Mavic is really easy to fly. It is amazingly stable even in strong winds.

Massively helpful stuff there - nice work, Martin.

Although an FAA Certified fixed wing, single and multi engine instrument rated commercial pilot, I have no idea how to fly my MAVIC Pro. So have a few questions.
1. Does the registration number issued need to be placarded on the drone similar to the "N" number on US registered aircraft?
2. I cannot simultaneously access the drone and my cell phone using WIFI. I drop one or the other trying to calibrate for flight.

I'm anxious to do my first solo flight but don't want to have a "mishap" in the process.

Thank you
asewest
READ THE MANUAL!!!!

NEVER fly in ATTI mode until you are familiar with flying

You can't switch the Mavic to ATTI mode. It switches itself in that mode without your control. So you can't train ATTI mode with a Mavic. And warning against ATTI is also useless, since you can't switch it in or out yourself.

Only way is to add a cheap non GPS toy drone to the fleet and practise indoors until you don't fly into the walls anymore.

Here is my little list:

The Mavic is a Pro tool flying so well it is not a bad drone to learn on. Just keep in mind some things when learning:
  • Read the manual from a to z
  • Make sure to set some safe settings - Obstacle detection on, RTH height set properly, etc.
  • Check the postings on this forum for good settings. Also read the messages people posted about crashes to learn from their mistakes.
  • Make sure all your batteries (Flight batteries, remote control battery, phone battery) are fully charged before flying
  • Make sure your flight battery is well connected to the craft and can not come loose
  • Make sure your phone/tablet is well connected to the cable and secure it
  • Get a decent size landing pad so you have a safe place to land on. A bath mat or other piece of carpet can be a good substitute for a commercial landing pad
  • Find a wide open space with no obstacles to practice in. DO NOT FLY INDOORS!!
  • Practice in mild wind conditions so wind is not an issue
  • Turn on your controller before turning on your Mavic. Once the controller has connected wait until you have a good number of GPS satellites acquired (14+) and the remote controller says you are in GPS mode
  • Wait until you hear it acquired the RTH point
  • Take off to about 20 feet and wait until the system says the RTH point has been updated. It now is ready for precision landing.
  • Start in Beginner mode where the drone will limit your disstance and height so you get a good feel for the way it handles without going too far away
  • Fly at about 15-20 meters of altitude as this will give you enough space to correct navigation if needed. Stay away from the ground until you feel you are easily controlling your aircraft
  • Trust the system to land the craft for you at first. Only correct if needed.
  • Stay away from Sport mode until you have a good mastery of your craft
  • Avoid water and other surfaces were you cannot retrieve your aircraft if needed
  • Get used to looking at your aircraft instead of looking at your screen. Do not make photos or videos until you feel confident you can handle the Mavic.
  • Fly, fly, fly. Only practice makes perfect. Practice your take-offs and landings so you have a good feel for it
  • When the battery of the Mavic hits 30% and the low battery alarm comes on return to base and land. Do not push your luck!
  • Always keep an eye on your battery levels!
  • And above all have fun!
Ah yes....and as I said already have fun. If flying conditions are marginal there will be no fun so avoid that!

Reactions: KevinMac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO