DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie experience - drone crashed within a min of take off outside

apowen8976

Reactions
Hi guys

Ok go easy on me ..... :eek:

I watched several video's about the Mavic Air & my wife bought me one as a Christmas gift, I followed all the right connection with RC and phone and did a small test take off in house out of the box (this was a simple up 360 turn left & right did a small left to right and back down.....nothing special and no settings was set! and all worked 100% fine.

Confidently I went outside in a fairly open space. I do live within a NFZ but the area was not RED (It is now after latest update) I live 6km from Maastrict Airport. However out of the box it allowed me to take off.... I flew on beginners mode max height of 30M ......manual take off to about 5ft off the ground spun it around and fly straigfht forward about 40M away I let go of the controls and it hovered on the spot........I also had the object avoidance switched on.......... My brother in law was with me and asked about the RTH function..... without setting anything (Yes I know!!!) I pressed the button on the remote and that was the tragic end to my maiden flight.

The handset started beeping...I looked down to the screen ....but then the drone on full throttle shot up into the air about 30 - 40M flew in a 60M arc behind me at what seemed like max speed...I panicked not knowing what to look at the screen or my 800 Euro gift flying away ..it then took another direction which for info was in the opposite direction to my house and back horizontally towards the right of where we were stood and shot forward straight into a group of trees 30M to our left..... it was 100% not heading back to us......with a bang and plenty of cracking as I heard the props smashing against the branches as it hit the floor with a thud..... I quickly hit the off button on the remote and it all went quiet..... WTF!

After finding it every blade was snapped..... but apart from that cosmetically it was in one piece.....phew....... Ok long story but wanted you to know the facts.

So took it home replaced all blades cleaned it up & updated firmware and now it says in a RED area .......so I drove to an area out of the NFZ but it kept saying ESC error, I tried several times rebooting both RC & Drone but I did notice when starting the drone only 3 props moved in like a test check flinch.....the other was was not so I figured I have damaged the motor on that arm hence the error......I then quickly took out the DJI Care Refresh Service Agreement ;) still within my 48hrs of registration and have now returned it today to the DJI dept for repair (which thankfully is only 4Km from my house....result)

So my question is apart from not setting the RTH location, out of the box where is the RTH location set too? was that normal for it to do that ? I have since learnt how to do this but if the trees had not stopped it I honestly think I would of lost it as it was going full speed away from me.

Hi guys

Ok go easy on me ..... :eek:

I watched several video's about the Mavic Air & my wife bought me one as a Christmas gift, I followed all the right connection with RC and phone and did a small test take off in house out of the box (this was a simple up 360 turn left & right did a small left to right and back down.....nothing special and no settings was set! and all worked 100% fine.

Confidently I went outside in a fairly open space. I do live within a NFZ but the area was not RED (It is now after latest update) I live 6km from Maastrict Airport. However out of the box it allowed me to take off.... I flew on beginners mode max height of 30M ......manual take off to about 5ft off the ground spun it around and fly straigfht forward about 40M away I let go of the controls and it hovered on the spot........I also had the object avoidance switched on.......... My brother in law was with me and asked about the RTH function..... without setting anything (Yes I know!!!) I pressed the button on the remote and that was the tragic end to my maiden flight.

The handset started beeping...I looked down to the screen ....but then the drone on full throttle shot up into the air about 30 - 40M flew in a 60M arc behind me at what seemed like max speed...I panicked not knowing what to look at the screen or my 800 Euro gift flying away ..it then took another direction which for info was in the opposite direction to my house and back horizontally towards the right of where we were stood and shot forward straight into a group of trees 30M to our left..... it was 100% not heading back to us......with a bang and plenty of cracking as I heard the props smashing against the branches as it hit the floor with a thud..... I quickly hit the off button on the remote and it all went quiet..... WTF!

After finding it every blade was snapped..... but apart from that cosmetically it was in one piece.....phew....... Ok long story but wanted you to know the facts.

So took it home replaced all blades cleaned it up & updated firmware and now it says in a RED area .......so I drove to an area out of the NFZ but it kept saying ESC error, I tried several times rebooting both RC & Drone but I did notice when starting the drone only 3 props moved in like a test check flinch.....the other was was not so I figured I have damaged the motor on that arm hence the error......I then quickly took out the DJI Care Refresh Service Agreement ;) still within my 48hrs of registration and have now returned it today to the DJI dept for repair (which thankfully is only 4Km from my house....result)

So my question is apart from not setting the RTH location, out of the box where is the RTH location set too? was that normal for it to do that ? I have since learnt how to do this but if the trees had not stopped it I honestly think I would of lost it as it was going full speed away from me.

home point is set when the quad acquires enough satellites and before you take off. Wait until the app says home point updated to be sure.

The quad when signal is lost or RTH is activated will send the quad up to the set height (in the app) and then fly back to the home point.

home point is set when the quad acquires enough satellites and before you take off. Wait until the app says home point updated to be sure.

The quad when signal is lost or RTH is activated will send the quad up to the set height (in the app) and then fly back to the home point.

I suppose it is possible it was going to bank towards me again, but according to the manual obstacle avoidance during RTH and it does attempt to avoid but in this case it never did

...So my question is apart from not setting the RTH location, out of the box where is the RTH location set too? was that normal for it to do that ? I have since learnt how to do this but if the trees had not stopped it I honestly think I would of lost it as it was going full speed away from me.
First of all, let me just say that to have the excitement of the moment change like that just sucks. For your question, out of the box it should have landed if close or returned to the home point if you were father away. Normally RTH functions extremely well if you have set it properly and have solid GPS reception. You could have stopped it by pressing the RC cancel button, switching it in and out of sport mode, or pressing the RTH button again.

I suppose it is possible it was going to bank towards me again, but according to the manual obstacle avoidance during RTH and it does attempt to avoid but in this case it never did
I am very sorry BUT, you are Not the first nor will you be the last...DJI will take care of you.... Most of the default settings need to be checked and set to Your liking.
I love the Youtube videos on setting up of a new drone. Many great pilots giving tips and tricks on this important subject......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa