DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie needs advice

hansinla

Reactions
I'm a pilot, but new to drones. I work in television production and am interested in combining my flying skills with my cinematic skills.
Having practiced with a 'toy' drone, I'm planning to go to the next level and get a low budget drone to get some demo footage before I invest in a full size professional aircraft.
I need some advise on what a good starting platform would be.
I'm looking at the Parrot Anafi, DJI Mavic Platinum and DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Obviously this is a wide range of budget, but looking for some input and thoughts...
should I go in ultra low budget and get some practice in and consider the first drone a throw-away, or go for a mid level Mavic 2 Pro that will remain a great redundancy drone if I go for a full professional drone.

Love to hear your thoughts.

I'm a pilot, but new to drones. I work in television production and am interested in combining my flying skills with my cinematic skills.
Having practiced with a 'toy' drone, I'm planning to go to the next level and get a low budget drone to get some demo footage before I invest in a full size professional aircraft.
I need some advise on what a good starting platform would be.
I'm looking at the Parrot Anafi, DJI Mavic Platinum and DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Obviously this is a wide range of budget, but looking for some input and thoughts...
should I go in ultra low budget and get some practice in and consider the first drone a throw-away, or go for a mid level Mavic 2 Pro that will remain a great redundancy drone if I go for a full professional drone.

Love to hear your thoughts.

The question I have is what have you learned from your throw away drone ? That for me will determine the answer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Coal

Don't bother buying a cheapie. there's no comparison between a "throw-away" and a Mavic.

There's no need to get a cheap trainer drone.
A Mavic 2 is as easy or easier to fly than cheaper machines.
It is also capable of very good results, quite good enough for most television use.

Reactions: Shon and Starz
as cost does not seem an issue for you do for the mavic flymore bundle you will have a quality UAV which will serve you well

Welcome to the Forum from the Nature Coast of Florida! Take advantage of this Forum and read it everyday. I do, like the daily newspaper. There is much to learn from hear. Questions? If you can't find it, ask!

I have an Anafi and a Mavic Pro. The advantages of the Anafi are very light, very quiet, no corporate enforced No Fly Zones, that 180° vertical camera angle might be useful for the creative types and you never get props in your shot.

The big advantage for me regarding the Mavic Pro is Occusync. I live in a high wifi interference area and will lose video with the Anafi beyond 200 meters. I've never had an issue with signal loss with the Mavic.

I'm not a camera expert so whatever differences there may be in the photograph/video quality would be things that at my level are not important (based on the reviews I've read not much difference).

On the software side both are pretty intuitive. The flight plan feature with the Anafi is very easy to use but I really need to spend more time with the flight plan features of the Mavic. I like the ergonomics of the Mavic controller over the Anafi.

You've already received great advice, and we'll hopefully not muddy the waters by suggesting the Mavic Air for 'The First'.

Do NOT consider the MA a 'Throwaway', however. Chances are good you'd keep it regardless of which Bird you upgrade to, due to its size, uber-small portability, and camera quality despite being used as your 'Learner'. It's 'way too much fun to toss, in our opinion, and priceless as a Travel Pal.

Price is another Big Bonus, despite your broad budget situ.

Rgds. NAVMAV

I've done some film and TV work and learning is a rewarding part of flying drones.
Of course, a lot of 'cinematic' happens in post but as you know - camera moves are also very important. Your DJI drone will likely offer features like Tripod and Cinematic modes which will smooth out stick inputs / moves.
RE: Post, look at this cinematic style practice session:

The vehicle tracking shots were shot in the opposite of tripod mode; sport mode - about 35 or 40 mph sideways.

I've done some film and TV work and learning is a rewarding part of flying drones.
Of course, a lot of 'cinematic' happens in post but as you know - camera moves are also very important. Your DJI drone will likely offer features like Tripod and Cinematic modes which will smooth out stick inputs / moves.
RE: Post, look at this cinematic style practice session:

The vehicle tracking shots were shot in the opposite of tripod mode; sport mode - about 35 or 40 mph sideways.

Man i need to learn how to use the camera correctly and editing software. Any tips for a absolute beginner?

My choice for editing is Adobe Premiere CC - actually, I have the entire Creative Suite on a PC. The look is achieved with the Lumetri Color Panel controls.
You mentioned that you have cinematic skills - cameras are cameras. One major difference / weakness in the micro cameras on many drones is that they do not have a variable aperture - except on the Mavic 2 Pro and later with the Hasselblad camera so its all ISO, EV (exposure value) and shutter speed.
Check out these:
Keep watching these blogs and as necessary do a Google search for specifics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000