DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBY I AM GOING LOOSE IT

Your just going to have to "Send it"...Grit your teeth and let her fly my man :) Time will give you experience and trust...but you have to leave that bubble, now is as good as any time. Remember this...It is not if you crash but when. I have been flying R/C for over 30 years and I still crash, although years apart now. With 10 acres you got plenty of field to cover...you don't say what your flying but if a GPS equipped drone...RTH button is your friend...they almost never fail...note I said almost...but I have never had it fail in over 1000 uses. ;)

Set the drone on the ground at the usual spot, switch it on and walk out into the garden maybe 10yds or so, then command the drone to take off and fly around a bit, including over to you but ABOVE you. Repeat at greater distances.
Remember that the home point was probably set to the take off point NOT the controller or you.

Last edited:
I am new, and i have a pathological fear of loosing it, been in the garden yo-yoing up and down and back and forward, my garden is 10 acres and i am using 10sq ft how do i overcome this fear

Hello from the Crossroads of America robbymax.

Just make sure the Home Point has been updated before you launch. The RTH (return to home) function seems to work well if needed.

My second flight with the Spark years ago resulted in losing sight of the aircraft and the screen was washed out by the sunlight so I couldn't fly with the phone.

I hit the RTH button and within a minute I heard the little guy coming home. :)

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

I am new, and i have a pathological fear of loosing it, been in the garden yo-yoing up and down and back and forward, my garden is 10 acres and i am using 10sq ft how do i overcome this fear
Welcome to the forum . . . its a smart bird. It'll find its way back home.

Reactions: Pondhopper
Just keep flying. It will get better. Nothing wrong with having a healthy respect for the sticks. Practice simple things like speed control, smoothness in transitions, gimbal movement, and such. Some youtubers like Piolet institute also have practice maneuvers that can be fun. Like playing an instrument, it will become muscle memory at some point.

A few extra tips:
  • I don't take off unless I have at least 12 GPS satellites locked
  • After I take off, I go straight up 10 or 20 feet or so and hover there for a couple minutes just to make sure everything is stable
  • Before heading out, I move each of the sticks in each of the 4 directions and observe the drone to make sure it's responding appropriately
  • Also, I check the battery levels and make sure I have at least 60% to start with (preferably 99 or 100%). If something does start acting up I want plenty of juice to get home again.
  • I keep an eye on the GPS map in the bottom left corner--if I somehow lose sight of my drone and want to be sure I'm flying it back towards me, I look at the line connecting the blue arrow (my drone) back to the controller. If I point the arrow back along that line, I know I'm heading home even without the RTH button.
  • I have practiced flying my drone out a little ways and using the RTH button (and the Cancel button) so if I ever get in a panic situation, the process will be familiar.
That helps reassure me that I'm at least starting off on the right foot, and checking for easily-avoidable problems.

There's absolutely no rush. Proceed as you feel comfortable. Practice flying small box patterns and figure eights and you'll soon be comfortable expanding your range.

A flight instructor once told me that all new pilots go through a period of intense learning, diligence and attention. After they solo and build some hours they begin to get more and more comfortable and a little lax. Then something bad happens and they get the bejeebers scared out of them. If they're lucky and don't get killed, they're better pilots for having had that scare and reminder. The time to be concerned is when you begin feeling too comfortable.

Start learning in CINE/TRIPOD mode. Much slower, more forgiving of too much stick, which is what need to learn – finer stick control.

If you feel control is getting away from you, develop the habit of just letting go of the sticks so they center, then you can get reoriented and mentally "catch up", then continue.

First time you used a spoon you missed your mouth more than you hit it - practice solved that one and flying, flying, flying, flying will solve this one!

Trust comes from knowing what’s happened before - keep flying and flying and follow ALL the tips you’ve heard and you’ll be good 👍

Start learning in CINE/TRIPOD mode. Much slower, more forgiving of too much stick, which is what need to learn – finer stick control.

If you feel control is getting away from you, develop the habit of just letting go of the sticks so they center, then you can get reoriented and mentally "catch up", then continue.
Actually, irrespective of the flight mode setting, the drone probably starts the first flight of each drone-switch-on in the 'middle' flight mode, i.e. not sport and not cine/tripod.
If, at launch of the first flight of each switch-on, the 'switch' is set to either sport or cine it has to be reset to the "middle" and then back to the chosen outer in order to fly in that 'outer' flight mode.
The flight mode setting will only carry over from one flight to another if those flights are flown in the same drone drone switch-on.

Last edited:
A few extra tips:
  • I don't take off unless I have at least 12 GPS satellites locked
  • After I take off, I go straight up 10 or 20 feet or so and hover there for a couple minutes just to make sure everything is stable
  • Before heading out, I move each of the sticks in each of the 4 directions and observe the drone to make sure it's responding appropriately
  • Also, I check the battery levels and make sure I have at least 60% to start with (preferably 99 or 100%). If something does start acting up I want plenty of juice to get home again.
  • I keep an eye on the GPS map in the bottom left corner--if I somehow lose sight of my drone and want to be sure I'm flying it back towards me, I look at the line connecting the blue arrow (my drone) back to the controller. If I point the arrow back along that line, I know I'm heading home even without the RTH button.
  • I have practiced flying my drone out a little ways and using the RTH button (and the Cancel button) so if I ever get in a panic situation, the process will be familiar.
That helps reassure me that I'm at least starting off on the right foot, and checking for easily-avoidable problems.
Thankyou sounds like good advice but i always seem to have an audience and that don't help, need to get out on my own

I was paranoid as well, especially since I have very high trees on my property. Just made sure my RTH was set high enough to not come in too low. Generally I send the machine straight up on takeoff where I know the LZ is clear. Then slowly head out in a circular pattern until I feel I have complete control. It gets easier to trust the machine, And, welcome here!

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
@robbymax first off welcome to the forum
unfortunately what you are experiencing at the beginning of your new drone adventure is quite normal ,it is difficult to trust the technology in the drone to do what it says ,but believe me ,it will and does
forget about the camera side for the moment and concentrate on getting the hang of flying it ,gradually increase your distance from the home point with each flight ,be very aware of trees ,the no1 enemy of drones ,take your time and just build up your confidence, at a speed you are happy with ,obviously distance is relative and will depend a lot on your surroundings, conditions,and your ability to see the drone at distance ,go on line and read the manual and most of all enjoy the experience

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake