DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ vs. part 107 certified with Mavic, central US

Sunshine

Reactions
I have a Mavic and recently acquired my part 107 Remote Pilot cert. According to the rules I should be able to fly within the 5 mile hobbyist radius as long as I am complying with the airspace charts.
Yesterday I got a message on my Mavic that I was not authorized as I was inside the 5 mile radius. I contacted DJI and was told I had to go to a webpage and request clearance.
Now they are needing my address and if permitted, I will only be able to enter the 5 mile radius for 30 days !
What the heck is this. If I'm trying to start a business of offering photos and videos of homes and properties and at times would be inside that 5 mile limit depending on what community or part of my state I may need to be in, I have to get authorized in advance (which will cause delays) it will be a majorce pain not to mention being contrary to the FAA rules.

Now I try to contact DJI again and all I can get is Chinese language in their text of an email.
Thoughts anyone?

It would help if you could let us know your location.

Maybe I haven't reviewed the latest changes to DJI firmware, but the last time I looked the DJI restrictions were graduated based on distance from the airport. As in, if you were inside the airport fenceline the drone would land itself and refuse to fly. But as you got further from the airport, the DJI flying ceiling limit would rise, until you reached the 400 ft altitude at a distance of five miles from the airport, after which there were no restrictions. Is that no longer the case? Does DJI refuse to let you fly at all within 5 miles of an airport?

Sorry about location but thought central US was close enough... I'm actually in Minnesota.

Regarding DJI's limits... I don't really know as it is a real struggle to ever get in contact with any type of support
and it is often in poor English.

I thought the entity in control of airspace was the FAA and not DJI. If the FAA
rules state that one can fly under a particular airspace according to part 107..... then that should be the final word.

So here I am trying to video a commercial site and due to this crazy mixup, I can't even accomplish the task and
earn some income as I had hoped and prepared for.

Here is a link to the Geo system DJI uses and instructions for unlocking via the app. You should be able to unlock and fly as long as you are not in a red "Restricted" zone. My experience is that many airports have a 1.5 mile radius yellow authorization zone but most don't have the red area except for very close to major airports. I don't think DJI differentiates between Part 107 flights and hobby flights but you still should be able to fly where needed using the unlock feature. Geo system link... DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

Are you sure you're checking the charts right? In all the cases I've seen so far, which definitely includes my immediate area (Pittsburgh), you get "Enhanced Warning Zones" for things like a class D airspace. Having your part 107 doesn't give you permission to fly in those areas - in fact, without a waiver, you can't fly under 107 rules *at all* in those airspaces. What you get is not having to call the airport/heliports that don't have controlled airspaces. If you're in their (controlled, defined by the sector charts) airspace, though, you can't fly at all, until you apply and are granted a waiver, or, if you fly instead under recreational rules (and, then, you're back to calling).

So, I agree, if you've been granted a waiver to an entire airspace under 107, then flying in the yellow authorization zone will be a pain. But that's a pretty small section of the airspace. Based on you having said you "recently" got your 107, though... do you even have such a waiver yet?

Better yet, give us a nearby specific location so we can all take a look at the maps?

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked with the on-line "school" that I earned my part 107 knowledge from and they
clarified my concern. I'm in a tiny rural area so have an equally small airport. So the rule is that one can be very near
an airport that has class E status because that starts at lowest at 700 feet. From there down, it is class G, uncontrolled.
So went ahead with the DJI permission thing just to get it unlocked and hopefully that will work.
Thanks again all for your help.

Class G airports or uncontrolled airports are not restricted to part 107 pilots. They are usually private small airports. I believe they have a yellow NFZ.

Class G airports or uncontrolled airports are not restricted to part 107 pilots. They are usually private small airports. I believe they have a yellow NFZ.

Currently DJI does not have the yellow authorization zones around private airports. In my area the small private airports do not even show up on the DJI Geo map. The yellow authorization zones at this time are around airports that either have a control tower or have published instrument procedures.

Currently DJI does not have the yellow authorization zones around private airports. In my area the small private airports do not even show up on the DJI Geo map. The yellow authorization zones at this time are around airports that either have a control tower or have published instrument procedures.

Oh very good to know! I know airports with published instrument procedures need authorization prior to flying near. But without a control tower, I'm assuming you would need to contact the airport manager for authorization?

"The Rule allows small UAS to operate in the vicinity of uncontrolled
airports without authorization from or notification to the airport, and in
the vicinity of controlled airports with authorization from air traffic
control" Sourced from https://ktrk-production-assets.s3.a...nd_Certification_of_Small_UASs_Final_Rule.pdf

Last edited:
Another Source ; "
Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions.
Unless the flight is conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas. The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may interfere with
operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or helipads. Furthermore, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft,including aircraft operating on the
surface of the airport.

Source from - FAA Drone Regulations and UAV/UAS Policy Explained | Your one stop shop for keeping up with FAA UAS UAV Drone Rules Regulations Policy and Law

Oh very good to know! I know airports with published instrument procedures need authorization prior to flying near. But without a control tower, I'm assuming you would need to contact the airport manager for authorization?

"The Rule allows small UAS to operate in the vicinity of uncontrolled
airports without authorization from or notification to the airport, and in
the vicinity of controlled airports with authorization from air traffic
control" Sourced from https://ktrk-production-assets.s3.a...nd_Certification_of_Small_UASs_Final_Rule.pdf

Actually, contact with towers or airport managers is part of the hobbyist routine if flying within 5 miles, not normally involved if flying under Part 107 rules. Under Part 107 if your flight is within controlled airspace you would need a waiver/airspace authorization - and that is done through the FAA website. I believe the only time a call would be made to an airport manager is when a hobbyist flight would be within 5 miles and in those cases you would be informing the airport of your plans to fly, not seeking authorization.

Last edited:
Gotcha, makes sense. Although recreational fliers do need ATC clearance for flying within controlled airspace (i.e 5 mile airport rule) If FAA found out somehow they could be fined.

Gotcha, makes sense. Although recreational fliers do need ATC clearance for flying within controlled airspace (i.e 5 mile airport rule) If FAA found out somehow they could be fined.

My belief from reading all the FAA documentation I could find is that recreational flyers are required to notify any airport if flying within 5 miles, regardless of what airspace they are in. The only airspace guidance I have seen pertaining to hobbyists is to stay out of Class B airspace. There is no process in place that I know of for recreational flyers to obtain ATC clearance based on airspace, only to notify based on distance.

So the rule is that one can be very near an airport that has class E status because that starts at lowest at 700 feet. From there down, it is class G, uncontrolled.

Some airports have Class E airspace down to the surface. They are depicted on sectionals by a dashed magenta line around the airport.

mkp2020 is correct; Part 336 fliers don't need (and can't get) authorization to fly within five miles of an airport, but they must notify.

You are confusing controlled airspace with published instrument procedures. Some airports have published instrument procedures but are not controlled airports and don't have controlled airspace at the surface. In those cases, the airport is in Class G airspace, often with an area of Class E airspace beginning at 700 feet AGL I live close to, and learned to fly at such an airport.

I am also on the border of a Class D,E or G airport, part-time control tower M-f 6 am. -5 p.m., Sat 6 a.m. -1 p.m., sunday close

I have been flying in the save place for over 5 years (home)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas