DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night flight UK

Gixerboy64

Reactions
Hi been trying to find out the laws on night flights in UK looked at drone code says nothing looked on CAA website can't see anything ?

Hi been trying to find out the laws on night flights in UK looked at drone code says nothing looked on CAA website can't see anything ?

I’m in the U.K. And the rules is..VLOS (visual line of sight) and not above 400 feet AGL.
Of course in the dark it’s a bit more difficult to get VLOS So I suggest fitting strobes or other lights to make it easier to spot.
I have some from pgytech which are fabulous. Day or night, they make it easier to spot and therefore fly further.

Reactions: benny01 and Carl36
I’m in the U.K. And the rules is..VLOS (visual line of sight) and not above 400 feet AGL.
Of course in the dark it’s a bit more difficult to get VLOS So I suggest fitting strobes or other lights to make it easier to spot.
I have some from pgytech which are fabulous. Day or night, they make it easier to spot and therefore fly further.
Great will get some illumination cheers bud

Yep - fine to fly at night assuming all laws and regular are adhered to.

I’m hoping to get up soon to try out the low light capabilities of my M2P and will look to fly from sites I am very familiar with in daylight.

Reactions: maxv77
Yep - fine to fly at night assuming all laws and regular are adhered to.

I’m hoping to get up soon to try out the low light capabilities of my M2P and will look to fly from sites I am very familiar with in daylight.
Me to M2P LED on bottom of craft are really bright already tried them out on lawn at night

I have done quite a bit of night photography, you can get some great photos using a long shutter time. I have an MP1 and it is surprisingly stable, it'll take good sharp photos. Video is not so useful unless the ground is well lit.

I do not have any additional lights and can see it fine using the onboard lights, I've set the red lights to stay on. In fact it's probably easier to keep visual contact in the dark than it is during the day.

Reactions: Carl36
I have done quite a bit of night photography, you can get some great photos using a long shutter time. I have an MP1 and it is surprisingly stable, it'll take good sharp photos. Video is not so useful unless the ground is well lit.

I do not have any additional lights and can see it fine using the onboard lights, I've set the red lights to stay on. In fact it's probably easier to keep visual contact in the dark than it is during the day.
Thanks for the info will try that at next opportunity [emoji3]

I should also add, for good night photos on the MP1 I have to switch to manual mode, in auto mode it won't set a long shutter time and the photos are always dark.

I've done a few night flights now. The new lights on the mavic 2 pro are great for night flights. Even better when you want to land it. As others have pointed out. Know the area in day light before your night flight. Power lines ect. Enjoy your flight

Just bought pgytech lights here in NZ for similar reason - wanting to better see my M2P in the daylight, that is. Being seen by others I think will be an additional level of safety as well! :cool:
Haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Maybe this coming week when I will be taking a bit of annual leave, and it is not raining, I might be able to log some serious VFR flying.

Just bought pgytech lights here in NZ for similar reason - wanting to better see my M2P in the daylight, that is. Being seen by others I think will be an additional level of safety as well! :cool:.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I have yet to find *any* lights that are effective in daylight. Even with the brightest lights and overcast, the range of the lights in daylight doesn't surpass your visual range of the Mavic (ie you can see the Mavic well past the point the lights "disappear". Now, twilight and after dark: that's where you get 2+ miles VLOS range with aux lights.

I'd love to find some lights that are effective in the daytime for a distance beyond 1000 feet...

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I have yet to find *any* lights that are effective in daylight. Even with the brightest lights and overcast, the range of the lights in daylight doesn't surpass your visual range of the Mavic (ie you can see the Mavic well past the point the lights "disappear". Now, twilight and after dark: that's where you get 2+ miles VLOS range with aux lights.

I'd love to find some lights that are effective in the daytime for a distance beyond 1000 feet...
No extra rain needed here - parade or not! Already had too much over the last couple of weeks. No flying :mad::mad:
I take your point about the effective range of lights. I'm picking a couple of landing lights taken from a scrapped Boeing 737 might work - but hey, that's a job for another day! ;)
In the mean time, I will work on the theory of being more likely to see my M2P with lights than with none at all; albeit at a range of less than 300 metres

No extra rain needed here - parade or not! Already had too much over the last couple of weeks. No flying :mad::mad:
I take your point about the effective range of lights. I'm picking a couple of landing lights taken from a scrapped Boeing 737 might work - but hey, that's a job for another day! ;)
In the mean time, I will work on the theory of being more likely to see my M2P with lights than with none at all; albeit at a range of less than 300 metres

As human beings, our visual acuity is based upon movement. The pgytech lights are very bright, and also flash very brightly )as well as being able to be set to a steady bright light).
The bright flashing during the daylight is what will help our eyes to find the drone easier in the sky, for those moments when you look away and lose its position.

These are very bright. I had them on. P4P and MPP. Someone online 3D printed some holders that clip the the drones legs.

I got 2 white and 2 red. Probably overkill. They’re very bright. Like ‘hurt your eye if you look at them bright’.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman