DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying with the FAA : A Poll

How many 3 Mile Flashing Beacons do you Prefer ?

• 1 light - Top Light

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • 2 Lights - Arm lights

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 3 Lights - Top Light and 2 Arm lights

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 4 Lights - Arms all 4 front and back

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 5 lights : Back and front arms and top light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 lights 4 Arm lights and top light and Bottom light

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 7 Lights Full 360 Coverage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I have been trying every light under the Shroud of Anti Collision Lights and I hate them all.

I have used them all
, Many are hard to turn on, and with gloves forget it , Some have so many click and clacks. and colors , that you will be blinded by the time you find White .

Other just take up so much space , like Easter eggs on top of your drone , and some so tiny that Its just luck I can pinch them to turn them on , let alone off. Not to mention the Cree lights that promise a tiny miracle but take up a lot of space to put on or dangle with the Velcro patch.

I scoured the planet and were very limited as to what is available for the DJI Drones and even more importantly how to attach them to your drone.

I am not a fan of the Velcro Patch , its maddening to wonder if the Weeble Wobble of the light is going to stay on, and switching it from one drone to another is no fun .

The good news is that I found an FAA approved Anti Collision Light
, Its small but not tiny, Its got a button , a nice size button , it comes in 1 Color of your choice . It does one thing it flashes to be seen, , its water proof , and the Foot Print is Small but the company does not care about offering a way to install it.

So I reached out to the Company because there lights made flying at Night Painless, and the Wet Suit would be the Perfect Way to Secure the light on the drone in stream line fashion so I emailed them.

The Problem was that I needed them to make 1 small change for me on the Light and they said no, lol

Happy to say they changed there mind :}
and I am working on the new design and a Demo .

I will keep this thread updated for those interested in a more seamless setup to Negotiate the FAA and provide you with a safer way to fly at night.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , and Float on water in the moon light , flashing your drone as you go.

See Updated Videos below and PIctures.

Last edited:
I've tried two night flashers.

DR-02 - just white. But I think changes to red or green or solid white, red, green. A pair of LED's. One simple button, an actual momentary depression type. Bright sucker, but I can't really see any difference between red and green on it.

Then there's the LUCORB - tri-color bright as expletive: do NOT look at it when you turn it on - avert your eyes and I can recommend a neutral density filter of 256x if you want to look at it. Not even sure 256x is enough, but better than burned spots on your retina for 20 minutes as the visual purple refills the voids burned out by the flash.

Again, the red-green color difference is the typical LED spread where the peak brightness is chosen instead of peak differentiation. True color normals can see the difference, but 12% of us men will call them the same color.

The LUCORD is easy to use. On off is a touch sensitive pad. Touch and hold a second, the three leds start flashing. Do not look at them flash. You will regret it. The leds are in the FAA 120/120/120 configuration, reflectors to aid intensity, and should be able to meet the anti-collision requirement AND the tri-color control requirement.

Did I mention the LUCORD is bright?

ps: neither is ideal; you really want a rear facing top visible white anti-collision visible above horizontal (I'd argue a drone needs a 360 above horizontal anti-collision since planes will be looking down); and red green visible 180 on each side of aircraft. Different flash rates so they are individually discernable.

Last edited:
The real solution is for the manufacturer to have proper anti-collision lights already on the drone. This tape on hack job is just stupid.
Without any doubt that is the Solution , and in the Future we may see that , I would be happy with just just a USB charge on the light but until than we are left on are own to scramble it up , and so the Wet Suit might be the best solution with the most secure hold.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Droniac and maggior
Have them put hooks on it like the DR-02 (or ZIYE or any other cheaper light) so I don't have to design and 3d print my own.

You know I did not get that one, as i was not sure it was FAA approved, if it was I missed it. Not a fan of plastic clips they break at the worst times. Think I can do better.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.

Reactions: Droniac
You know I did not get that one, as i was not sure it was FAA approved, if it was I missed it. Not a fan of plastic clips they break at the worst times. Think I can do better.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.

I tried them with the goal of trying to enhance visibility of my drone during the day. I liked how they attached to the drone and could easily be moved from drone to drone. Problem was once my drone was at treetop level, they were useless to me. Maybe they are OK for night flying, but I'm not exploring that at the moment.

I have been trying every light under the Shroud of Anti Collision Lights and I hate them all.

I have used them all
, Many are hard to turn on, and with gloves forget it , Some have so many click and clacks. and colors , that you will be blinded by the time you find White .

Other just take up so much space , like Easter eggs on top of your drone , and some so tiny that Its just luck I can pinch them to turn them on , let alone off. Not to mention the Cree lights that promise a tiny miracle but take up a lot of space to put on or dangle with the Velcro patch.

I scoured the planet and were very limited as to what is available for the DJI Drones and even more importantly how to attach them to your drone.

I am not a fan of the Velcro Patch , its maddening to wonder if the Weeble Wobble of the light is going to stay on, and switching it from one drone to another is no fun .

The good news is that I found an FAA approved Anti Collision Light
, Its small but not tiny, Its got a button , a nice size button , it comes in 1 Color of your choice . It does one thing it flashes to be seen, , its water proof , and the Foot Print is Small but the company does not care about offering a way to install it.

So I reached out to the Company because there lights made flying at Night Painless, and the Wet Suit would be the Perfect Way to Secure the light on the drone in stream line fashion so I emailed them.

The Problem was that I needed them to make 1 small change for me on the Light and they said no, lol

Happy to say they changed there mind :}
and I am working on the new design and a Demo .

I will keep this thread updated for those interested in a more seamless setup to Negotiate the FAA and provide you with a safer way to fly at night.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , and Float on water in the moon light , flashing your drone as you go.
Coal, Please shoot me an email when it comes to fruition. Count me in for 3. No questions asked. Your past products preceded your company’s sense of excellence in providing extremely cool ****? Stoked. Small buttons irk me. Wait. You mentioned cold hands. If I’m not mistaken you’re sporting a very cool Audi as one of your platforms. Warm in there Lol.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The real solution is for the manufacturer to have proper anti-collision lights already on the drone. This tape on hack job is just stupid.
True that!

Without any doubt that is the Solution , and in the Future we may see that , I would be happy with just just a USB charge on the light but until than we are left on are own to scramble it up , and so the Wet Suit might be the best solution with the most secure hold.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I’m actually riding the dual tiny but powerful flashlights on the sides with the wet suit securing them down perfectly. Added perk. It looks extremely cool and is a fun addition when warranted. Godspeed Droniac

It'd be nice if DJI would incorporate CREE LED's into there products.

No need to add them on and the intensity of the flash could be controlled via the app or a light sensor so the drone would turn them on automatically when it got dark.

I think a clear airframe would be neat with the LED's along the full length of the arms on all sides of the arm.

With multiple LED's of different colors, you could have a "Cuttlefish" mode and have your own little flying light show. :D

A majority of new drone pilots don't fly at night and I can see why DJI didn't do this.

So 3 miles is 15,000 ft further than I have ever flown with a Spotter.

So many of the Lights that got approved by the FAA consists of 4 Led/s or more clustered in a bigger bulb
so how does a company with 1 Led Light and 1 Tiny bulb get FAA approved.

I will be testing this out in a few hours on the Air 2S

Reactions: Droniac
I can see 2000 ft out easy with just the lights on the drone itself flying at night , maybe further , but the FAA concern is anything flying over the top so the Top Light makes the most sense .

I can see 2000 ft out easy with just the lights on the drone itself flying at night , maybe further , but the FAA concern is anything flying over the top so the Top Light makes the most sense .
I just finished the flight with the new setup and the results of 1 Led were the equal of the Lume Cube, but sadly I am not convinced that any of the lights I tried can bee seen 15 000 ft away , its just does not seem possible.

None the less i am happy with the Results and I need to edit the video as its a lot ,

I will leave you with this Picture of my AIR 2S fitted with the New Light Setup .

Using a Track system rather than a Clip , applied to the Battery Cover of the Wet Suit for a better angle of attack.
The idea being you just slide the light right into the track, like a roller coaster and it locks in place.

Very easy, very secure so the light is held in place at Two spots , but the fact that is better than the Lume cube was a surprise. Not a 3 mile surprise but good enough for the FAA and me.

2021-09-18_21h05_22.png

Last edited:
Updated :2021-09-20_17h54_21.png

The Track system worked out so well Im adding to the back of the light to Piggy back another light for those wanting more Visual line of sight . Super Excited this worked out so well. Seamless and light and frustration free.

2021-09-20_17h55_27.png

Reactions: Hunter_k
Yes i will post a video soon of the Piggy back light system using the Track system , this is solving all my issues.
Until than I have this : A less awkward spotting video for the light system. This also shows why that Piggy back Track system can be so useful when needed. I for one like to keep a very low profile ,

I like the idea of the adding lights like legos , very cool. Those spotter call are funny.
Is it possible to put other lights on the back such as the lume cube or cree lights ?

I like the idea of the adding lights like legos , very cool. Those spotter call are funny.
Is it possible to put other lights on the back such as the lume cube or cree lights ?

Well now !! Since the backing of the Light is flat , you could post any light on the back within reason which would allow for anyone to add a existing light they already have.

On the other hand , just for fun, I put one together just now to see how the size would compare to other light.
I think I may offer two methods, If you purchase 1 Track light you get the Open Back and if you Purchase Two Lights you get the Roller Track for other light a much more secure system.

Here is a Piggy Back with the Tri light light compared to the track light just using a velcro tab on the back.
not as secure as the roller track light system.

I think that is best way : Two packages to offer. a 1 light Setup open for any light a 2 light setup for two track lights either a blue: green or Red Light or another white light .

I might test this out tonight just to see it . Thanks for the Brain storm , it helped with the game plan.
What I hate about this other light is it comes on the moment you grab the light . ugh. no good.

2021-09-20_18h41_21.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thispilothere
Updated :View attachment 135105

The Track system worked out so well Im adding to the back of the light to Piggy back another light for those wanting more Visual line of sight . Super Excited this worked out so well. Seamless and light and frustration free.

View attachment 135104
Perfect ! I fly a single rear facing single led along with my wetsuit secured led flashlights on the sides. My M2P is starting to look like a pack mule. Awesome addition. Looking forward to it. Keep up the awesome work. Godspeed, Droniac

Yes i will post a video soon of the Piggy back light system using the Track system , this is solving all my issues.
Until than I have this : A less awkward spotting video for the light system. This also shows why that Piggy back Track system can be so useful when needed. I for one like to keep a very low profile ,

Saw the video yesterday. Maybe some refinement needed but who am I to judge ANY your footage. It gave me a fairly good look at it, it’s capabilities. And it’s nice to see it as it developed. So, I think the video was appropriately expressive of the coming new tracking light. Obviously a fan of phantomrain.org products and your niche Vimeo footage
Godspeed, Droniac

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J