DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night light streaking

JohnnyD913

Reactions
The other night I ask what settings to use to achieve the streaking effect with my mavic pro at night..
I was told lowest so I did..
I really don’t know much about the camera and settings but my iso was on 100 and I took Shots from 1/25 til it read numbers like
“1” “1.3” all the way to “8”..

I did change iso some but dumb me can’t remember which shots were set where..

Also it seems to stream better flying in sport mode and snapping away..IMG_0356.JPGIMG_0355.JPGIMG_0354.JPGIMG_0353.JPG

Reactions: Proffy
Not a bad start, but different to normal, some have an artistic look, others (#1) just a bad pic.
Pic 3 to me seems like the best of those, the background sky is normal, and the streaking as good as you could hope for moving.

There was a post here where someone was matching a vehicle speed along a highway (daytime) and using a shutter maybe a second, the vehicle looked clear, the surroundings obviously blurred, that was different too.

To get the vehicle tail lights blurring, you obviously have to keep the drone as still as possible, and try a variety of shutter speeds to see what's best.
Too slow, and your drone will move and get blur of the surrounding lights, or it will be too light saturated, overexposed, which might not be fixable in post.
I don't think you should need more than a second (or maybe slower) at night to get the vehicle lights streak effect.

Post some more up when you try.
If we could fly at night, it'd be interesting to try this.
I might even try it on the ground hand held to see what I can get out of my M1P (and maybe Spark too).

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Not a bad start, but different to normal, some have an artistic look, others (#1) just a bad pic.
Pic 3 to me seems like the best of those, the background sky is normal, and the streaking as good as you could hope for moving.

There was a post here where someone was matching a vehicle speed along a highway (daytime) and using a shutter maybe a second, the vehicle looked clear, the surroundings obviously blurred, that was different too.

To get the vehicle tail lights blurring, you obviously have to keep the drone as still as possible, and try a variety of shutter speeds to see what's best.
Too slow, and your drone will move and get blur of the surrounding lights, or it will be too light saturated, overexposed, which might not be fixable in post.
I don't think you should need more than a second (or maybe slower) at night to get the vehicle lights streak effect.

Post some more up when you try.
If we could fly at night, it'd be interesting to try this.
I might even try it on the ground hand held to see what I can get out of my M1P (and maybe Spark too).
Thank you MAvic_south_oz,
I will take some more soon and this time write down all the settings and if moving or not.
I kinda lost track on these so for that I’m sorry..
Thanks for the awesome tips that I will try..

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Drop your ISO low and keep it there (100)
Then keep the aircraft still if only wanting to get streaks if moving vehicles. Moving slow if you want all light to blur.
Have the shutter open longer (1sec is good, I like a few more)
DJI_0953.JPG

Drop your ISO low and keep it there (100)
Then keep the aircraft still if only wanting to get streaks if moving vehicles. Moving slow if you want all light to blur.
Have the shutter open longer (1sec is good, I like a few more)
View attachment 99950
Thank you TampaTC,
That’s a beauty of a shot with the planes..
Thank you for the tip.
Will try tomorrow night..
Can’t tonight, storms have me pinned down..

Reactions: TampaTC
I wen looking thru my hard drive to find this night shot of an intersection by my house with they had an accident and was cleaning up the cars.
DJI_0420.JPG

STATS:
F=stop f/5.6
Exposure time 8sec
ISO 400
max aperture 2.971

The other night I ask what settings to use to achieve the streaking effect with my mavic pro at night...
To achieve a streaking effect you need to slow down the shutter speed. For longer streaks you can use a ND filter. Of course, you also need calm winds to help keep your MP as still as possible.

Thank all u guys for your help.
Here is the latest and best of several.
Mavic was still, iso 100, and shutter 1”.
I should have taken pic little sooner as to have had vehicle in frame too.
Is there anything I can do to clean up the motel lights on the left?

Attachments

• 42079D14-9094-4419-B930-9FC2D15E6E60.jpeg
    42079D14-9094-4419-B930-9FC2D15E6E60.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: TampaTC
I like the last one with blurry effect! Nice pic for a wallpaper

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics