DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night traffic photos

Quick tip re focussing in the dark: use the digital 2x zoom. Zoom in, focus as best you can (or auto focus if possible), zoom out, record. Don't do this whilst recording, though: the zoom is done by the aircraft and the zoom changes are, therefore, recorded in the footage (lesson learned! ;))

Turn peaking on (to high) for all flights. It is much easier to tell what is in focus when you use peaking. When lighting gets low, try switching to manual focus and focus on infinity.

Reactions: Mako79
270cdecd314d220d6b0ecfa85437cdd6.jpg
8e12e7cd8f9e958d71fbc85726196b84.jpg

5 second shutter speed on both

5 second shutter speed on both
Did you use "gimbal lock during exposure" or not? I always get much better result with turning it on for long exposure. But someone on a different forum said that he got better result by switching it off.

Did you use "gimbal lock during exposure" or not? I always get much better result with turning it on for long exposure. But someone on a different forum said that he got better result by switching it off.
No never used it didnt even know that was an option

Thanks. The correct term is: Lock Gimbal When Capture. It's in the camera settings.

Edit: I believe the default is On. But I could be mistaken.
Good to know. Didnt even know that was an option. Thanks

Good to know. Didnt even know that was an option. Thanks
You are welcome. If you didn't even know about it before, it must be the position when you took the picture. Would appreciate it if you can tell me if it is/was On or not :)

You are welcome. If you didn't even know about it before, it must be the position when you took the picture. Would appreciate it if you can tell me if it is/was On or not :)

no it was not off i checked and saw the option, like i said never knew it was even an option , i would think that is actually counter intuitive because if there is wind you want the gimbal to move to dampen any vibration. on a steady thing like a camera you would want everything nice and stiff and sturdy but in a moving drone i honestly don't see how locking the gimbal would help to keep the camera steady.

Reactions: TK-421 and tictag
i honestly don't see how locking the gimbal would help to keep the camera steady.

I don't really understand what this feature does. If locking the gimbal essentially stops the stabilization of the camera, what benefit does that offer? If it means the aircraft will ignore movement requests, then I kind-of understand that but why would you move the aircraft if you're wanting to take a photo?

The usual reason to lock the gimbal is if, for instance, you were flying through trees or some other obstacle course and wanted that fighter jet look of rolling right and left while flying around things. (Ya know I can picture that a whole lot better than I can describe it [emoji41])

Reactions: RobP62 and tictag
The usual reason to lock the gimbal is if, for instance, you were flying through trees or some other obstacle course and wanted that fighter jet look of rolling right and left while flying around things. (Ya know I can picture that a whole lot better than I can describe it [emoji41])
Or couldn't you just use Fixed Wing Mode? Thought that's what it was for.

Or couldn't you just use Fixed Wing Mode? Thought that's what it was for.

Could be...I might have gotten them confused not having used either of them. I’ll just go back to my gin and tonic and forget I ever jumped in the middle of this discussion. [emoji851]

no it was not off i checked and saw the option, like i said never knew it was even an option , i would think that is actually counter intuitive because if there is wind you want the gimbal to move to dampen any vibration. on a steady thing like a camera you would want everything nice and stiff and sturdy but in a moving drone i honestly don't see how locking the gimbal would help to keep the camera steady.
I know the wording is counter intuitive, but if I switch it off I can hardly get usable picture (for long exposure shot).

Maybe you might want to experiment with this Lock Gimbal When Capture and see whether enabling or disabling it will give you better result? I tested with both Mavic and P4P. I won't get usable result if I disable it.

If you do the test, I would appreciate it if you post your findings here :)

Ok so you guys mean the fixed wing mode. Now i this whole thing makes sense

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard