DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No compass arrow?

MrRobville

Reactions
Having read a couple flyaway topics, one of the items I made sure to add to my pre-flight checklist is to check whether or not the compass arrow on the little map in Go corresponds with the drone's actual direction that it faces.

However, I came to notice that I've never witnessed such an arrow. The quad is marked on the map fine, but its icon is just a circle/dot. Nothing else.
Considering there are no other topics around mentioning this, am I missing something? So far, every flight has been without issues, and the compass has been calibrated every time when necessary.

Reactions: ksmusa
Ah I know what's going on.
I went out to take a screenshot. Apparently once the homepoint has been set, the circle changes into the paper plane icon. For some reason I was expecting this icon to show up immediately. Now I feel like a fool. Glad to know there wasn't anything wrong though.

Reactions: MavicCF
There are a couple of 'circles' on the map bud. This is off Litchi, but still shows the same.p3_orbit.jpg

Apparently once the homepoint has been set, the circle changes into the paper plane icon. For some reason I was expecting this icon to show up immediately.
Was the circle you saw blue? If so, that was the location of your mobile device.

The red aircraft symbol will not be able to appear in the correct location on the DJI GO map until the Mavic sends its current GPS location to DJI GO. That would explain why you can see it after the home point is marked.

Though I have seen the blue dot when the phone GPS was indeed turned on, the dot is otherwise red.
I assumed that the app would be able to show the direction of the drone with just the compass data. But coming to think of it, without any GPS lock it would never be able to determine what its position is relative to the location you are at. Makes perfect sense now, hence me feeling like a fool.

I've never seen my mobile device represented as a red dot, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Someone else mentioned it in this thread in the DJI forum.

On my tablet the dot representing the gps position is red until the gps is “locked” on a sufficient number of satellites to more accurately determine the position.

The Mavic direction is also displayed as a small triangle if you have the "Radar Chart" displayed

Sorry, the dot on the map showing the position of the tablet is initially red until at least 4 or more satellites are “locked” then it turns blue. This seems to be true for at least two of my mapping apps.

Reactions: Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zloalex