DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No compass redundancy

gusri.candra

Reactions
Hi Pilots,
I have been flying with MP-1 for over 150hrs. Just realize when upgrade to M2Z the compass has no redundancy.
It come to conclusion that MP-1 navigation system is more reliable.

rgdsScreenshot_2019-02-19-06-58-52-908_dji.go.v4.png

Actually, what I have found with the Mavic 2 is that despite it's lack of redundant compasses, I very rarely get compass calibration error messages. On so many Mavic Pros I repair, there are compass calibration messages. Some members believe that the compass calibration error messages in the MP are really indicators of a different problem that the Mavic cant identify, so it displays the compass calibration error message and prevents takeoff.

Redundancy only helps when it actually works and doesnt cause more problems than it was designed to eliminate.

Reactions: sar104 and Starz
i would imagine that when the mavic was first introduced the fact that it had duel compasses and IMU s was a great selling point and showed that DJI took safety seriously. i think that after so long they realised that there was no need for the redundancy. as the compass and IMU had proved to be reliable and removing them allowed for more sensors to be added to the mav 2

i would imagine that when the mavic was first introduced the fact that it had duel compasses and IMU s was a great selling point and showed that DJI took safety seriously. i think that after so long they realised that there was no need for the redundancy. as the compass and IMU had proved to be reliable and removing them allowed for more sensors to be added to the mav 2

The Mavic 2 actually does have dual IMUs for redundancy, but only a single compass.

Reactions: old man mavic
Reactions: CanadaDrone
Thank for all your thought.!
Another one I highlight is that Mavic 2 battery doesn't have auto discharge feature. So we need to discharge by using power bank adapter.
Thought.??

Another one I highlight is that Mavic 2 battery doesn't have auto discharge feature. So we need to discharge by using power bank adapter.
Thought.??
it does have auto discharge but it is set to 10 days cant be altered like the mav 1 at the moment

Reactions: gusri.candra
The Mavic 2, like the Mavic Air derives its 2nd heading source from the vision system instead of a 2nd compass. Has the advantage that a magnetic disturbance cannot screw up both data sources like it can if both are compasses. So no, the newer birds are supposed to be more reliable on that aspect.

Reactions: gusri.candra
Thought.??

What old man mavic said. The batteries will self-discharge after 10 days of inactivity

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying