DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No drone zones: a matter of education?

Reactions
I just came back from a 4 week tour traveling Route 66 from Chicago to LA. I had my M2Z with me.

But to my disappointment I encountered many "No drone zone" signs and regulations on my way.

Even in places (Grand canyon) where by definition drone flying is not allowed and rational I found three no drone zone signs at the south rim. :rolleyes:

Driving an RV I stayed at several campgrounds where the use of drones on their premises was prohibited.

I asked one of the owners why and he answered that a couple of years ago a drone pilot crashed his drone into an other RV.

Well , yes, a couple of years ago the drones were not that safe to fly and the drone were really loud.

But now the DJI drones and others have proven that time has changed.

So what I think is necessary, is to "spread the news" and show that the restrictions should be rethought.

In one of the state parks I stayed in I had a very positive experience.

I briefly explained the capabilities of my M2Z to a ranger and the ranger said go ahead as long as I stayed away from the dam and main traffic road.

So when any of you guys fly your drone try to promote safe drone flying!

It is all about ignorance and paranoia. People crash cars too but we don’t ban them. They get a ticket. The politicians and FAA make more and more laws (the politicians don’t educate themselves on the technology) with no way to enforce and our hobby/profession goes down the tubes. It is sad but its the way our country works. Unless you have a multimillion dollar lobby behind you (NRA) We need the equivalent for drones.

Reactions: DroningOn
It is all about ignorance and paranoia. People crash cars too but we don’t ban them. They get a ticket. The politicians and FAA make more and more laws (the politicians don’t educate themselves on the technology) with no way to enforce and our hobby/profession goes down the tubes. It is sad but its the way our country works. Unless you have a multimillion dollar lobby behind you (NRA) We need the equivalent for drones.
We don’t have anything close to the equivalent for our HOBBY. On the contrary, we now have years of silence to out right blind support of these knee-jerk and ignorant rules and regulations coming from within. There has never been an effort to organize any lobbying effort to counter or even voice opposition to these “Laws” that do nothing to foster safety or public acceptance through education. If only there was a community with tens of thousands of existing knowledgeable flyers that would stand up and fight for our hobby. Now that would be something!

I just came back from a 4 week tour traveling Route 66 from Chicago to LA. I had my M2Z with me.

But to my disappointment I encountered many "No drone zone" signs and regulations on my way.

Even in places (Grand canyon) where by definition drone flying is not allowed and rational I found three no drone zone signs at the south rim. :rolleyes:

Driving an RV I stayed at several campgrounds where the use of drones on their premises was prohibited.

I asked one of the owners why and he answered that a couple of years ago a drone pilot crashed his drone into an other RV.

Well , yes, a couple of years ago the drones were not that safe to fly and the drone were really loud.

But now the DJI drones and others have proven that time has changed.

So what I think is necessary, is to "spread the news" and show that the restrictions should be rethought.

In one of the state parks I stayed in I had a very positive experience.

I briefly explained the capabilities of my M2Z to a ranger and the ranger said go ahead as long as I stayed away from the dam and main traffic road.

So when any of you guys fly your drone try to promote safe drone flying!

Kind of off topic but how many miles did you drive each day? I was thinking of doing the same exact trip and flying as much of it as possible myself. Unfortunate to hear so many prohibited areas that you encountered, do you have a 107 license? Selling your video and photos taken along the way would’ve made it legal to use your 107 certification by turning it into a commercial venture which may have allowed you to fly in some of those places.

Just so you know, some of us still do not want sUAS operating in campgrounds and National Parks. I leave my toys at home and travel to get away from technology more often than not. So it's not blindly 100% for changing the rules even within our own ranks.

They should allow 1 day a week to be {drone day} in national parks to let hobbyists do landscape videography and pics.

They should allow 1 day a week to be {drone day} in national parks to let hobbyists do landscape videography and pics.
Parks are the one places they could actually enforce rules and regs. Park Ranger are the only law enforcement officers that actually could find a little time to take on the job.. Flying in empty parks during certain hours should b allowed, but in NJ even most county parks are off limits.. People are still going to fly some where.

• Sad
Reactions: AMann and Jet skier
if they don't let me fly in the parks and the backwoods and the empty fields, i shall fly in the city, over the neighborhoods, and the city streets and blocks for the public right of way.

There is so much confusing information out there I’m really not sure where it is actually legal to fly them or not

There is so much confusing information out there I’m really not sure where it is actually legal to fly them or not
It’s beyond confusing now.
Always go to the OFFICIAL source to get the rules:

If you can't figure out on specific portion you can always call your local FSDO and ask for clarification.
Nothing but “interpretations“.

I think the tipping point has been reached with all of this. This is what happens when rules constantly change for no apparent reason and there is no enforcement. You can’t enforce a sliding scale. People are tuning out.

I know the so-called “experts” will immediately chime in here and say “it’s all right there! Look at this link, look at that link”.... blah blah. The FAA is just making this stuff up as it goes along and everybody knows it.

If you can't figure out on specific portion you can always call your local FSDO and ask for clarification.

I think the tipping point has been reached with all of this. This is what happens when rules constantly change for no apparent reason and there is no enforcement. You can’t enforce a sliding scale. People are tuning out.

I know the so-called “experts” will immediately chime in here and say “it’s all right there! Look at this link, look at that link”.... blah blah. The FAA is just making this stuff up as it goes along and everybody knows it.
It’s a little confusing when you watch all the big drone Youtubers saying they’re following all the rules as they’re flying drone around some major skyline in some city over bridges and whatever

It’s a little confusing when you watch all the big drone Youtubers saying they’re following all the rules as they’re flying drone around some major skyline in some city over bridges and whatever
They are great videos but I wouldn’t have the guts to do that anyway

I know what most of the rules are but thank you for that anyway.

Makes it up as they go along? The only thing that's happening is the mistakes from a knee-jerk reaction by Congress in 2012 "excluding" hobby operations is being corrected. There's no reason why a hobbyist should be able to fly in the exact same airspace, flying the same aircraft, doing the exact same action as a commercial operator but without the need to get permission.

The new rules aren't "Made Up" and finally hobby & commercial rules are much more similar as they should be.

The new rules aren't "Made Up" and finally hobby & commercial rules are much more similar as they should be.
Until they are changed again. Changed by an unaccountable bureaucrat adding or subtracting a sentence or paragraph or simply moving some punctuation around. Or, another federal entity like the NPS or DOD etc. inserting additional rules into the mix. The “laws“ as they relate to quad copters right now is a moving target and there is no clear and consistent enforcement let alone legally tested penalties in place.

Parks are the one places they could actually enforce rules and regs. Park Ranger are the only law enforcement officers that actually could find a little time to take on the job.. Flying in empty parks during certain hours should b allowed, but in NJ even most county parks are off limits.. People are still going to fly some where.
I thought NJ state law now prohibits local jurisdiction from prohibiting quads.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov