DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Drones Allowed in National Parks

Please be aware of the following laws before you go out:
  • If the unmanned aircraft pursuits or harasses wildlife or creates an intentional disturbance of wildlife nesting, breeding, or other activities, the user could be cited for a violation of 36 C.F.R. § 2.2.
  • If the user of the unmanned aircraft knowingly or recklessly creates a risk of public alarm or nuisance by causing noise that was unreasonable under the circumstances or by creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition, the user could be cited for disorderly conduct under 36 C.F.R. § 2.34.
  • 36 C.F.R. § 2.12(a)(3) prohibits, in non-developed areas, operating a device powered by a portable motor or engine, except pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit.
These are very good points and important to take into consideration. The law I was referring to primarily covers the take-off, operation, and landing of a drone from inside park boundaries.

There have been many accounts of rangers guiding pilots to outside the park boundaries so they can then overfly the park itself. However I would definitely assume these other rules still apply, however difficult it might be for them to enforce them if the pilot's location is unknown.

It is definitely critical to fly responsibly regardless of where you take off and land from. Harassing wildlife is bad and easier than you think. We all know how high our mavics need to be to not be heard... I would stay that high above any wildlife and, if you crash in the park - especially near wildlife, all bets are off! So don't crash!! [emoji6]

Please be aware of the following laws before you go out:
  • If the unmanned aircraft pursuits or harasses wildlife or creates an intentional disturbance of wildlife nesting, breeding, or other activities, the user could be cited for a violation of 36 C.F.R. § 2.2.
  • If the user of the unmanned aircraft knowingly or recklessly creates a risk of public alarm or nuisance by causing noise that was unreasonable under the circumstances or by creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition, the user could be cited for disorderly conduct under 36 C.F.R. § 2.34.
  • 36 C.F.R. § 2.12(a)(3) prohibits, in non-developed areas, operating a device powered by a portable motor or engine, except pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit.
I would also add that the last 2 regulations are probably a bit more subjective. Stay far away from people and wildlife and you'll be legal, I would expect.

I would also add that the last 2 regulations are probably a bit more subjective. Stay far away from people and wildlife and you'll be legal, I would expect.

Yes I agree as well, I only wanted to share this for people to be aware of. I think it is very subjective, and the letter from the National Park Service actually states that enforcement is basically at the discretion of the specific occurrence and officer/agent from the park service.

I personally believe, as I state with most of the UAS regulations and laws, if you aren't being stupid and you don't screw up, crash, etc. nothing will probably happen. However, once you do mess up, prepare for the entire book to be thrown at you.

I will post a more extensive response tomorrow...to be short, being an Eagle Scout and LOVE Amother Nature is paramount to myself.
Preserving out National Parks in their “current” state is probably the most important aspect in any part of this conversation.
There must be a legal avenue (even if I have to pay a substantial fee) for us to not only enjoy & share our vacations, etc, but to treasure our parks for our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
If people WANT to work together, issues may always be enventually resolved.
More to follow...I am serious about this issue.....to the point to where I will be contacting the governor of my state. (He is actually from my home city.
Wish me luck.....

I will post a more extensive response tomorrow...to be short, being an Eagle Scout and LOVE Amother Nature is paramount to myself.
Preserving out National Parks in their “current” state is probably the most important aspect in any part of this conversation.
There must be a legal avenue (even if I have to pay a substantial fee) for us to not only enjoy & share our vacations, etc, but to treasure our parks for our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
If people WANT to work together, issues may always be enventually resolved.
More to follow...I am serious about this issue.....to the point to where I will be contacting the governor of my state. (He is actually from my home city.
Wish me luck.....
Good luck. But I'm really curious what influence you expect from your state governor over National Park property.

Are they ever going to lift the ban? does anyone know....

It's not only national parks -- it's state parks, too.

Not long ago, Ledanne posted a video on her YouTube channel that describes the difficulty she had finding a California State Beach that would allow her to fly her MP. If memory serves, she resides in Orange County but had to drive nearly to San Diego to find a park that would allow her to fly.

It's not only national parks -- it's state parks, too.

Not long ago, Ledanne posted a video on her YouTube channel that describes the difficulty she had finding a California State Beach that would allow her to fly her MP. If memory serves, she resides in Orange County but had to drive nearly to San Diego to find a park that would allow her to fly.
That completely depends on the state. Not all states have banned drones in state parks. But yes, some have. Completely different discussion, though.

I believe since drones are becoming more mainstream for the general public, laws/regulations will SLOWLY loosen. I believe all of us need to be great role models and make any interactions in public to be positive. Once people understand and see why we have chosen this hobby, attitudes will change. I missed my window of opportunity to apply for my local county application to work with Search & Rescue, so I will apply when that become available. Again, a service I can provide for the public...being positive. Wish me luck.
Good luck to y’all as well.

Right, and drones will get smaller and quieter as the technology improves.

For the same reason you too can take off from non National Park land and fly over a National Park

I don't see the ban being lifted, ever.

Personally I'd like to see some consideration given but I also see the need for a ban. Even now there are people who are flying their drones among groups of people trying to enjoy the great views in our national park. With them doing this and drones not being allowed, what would it look like if they were allowed.
Agreed 110%

ALL of you give me AMAZING talking points. The governor of my state is from my home town. (Not that it necessarily counts) but you all goive me great “Ammo” for our struggles. Please keep it coming, I don’t give up! Not to brag at all, we all have merits to bring to this battle...but I am an Eagle Scout, w/bronze & silver palms...also a pharmacist. Not to brag...simply to say, I don’t give up. I am new here, but I hope to make great buds & friends. Awesome PowerPoint bullets already..and in just 1 night! Rock’on! Or FLY’ON! LOL!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic