DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly at my back ...

BrianGGG

Reactions
Here's my situation:

I want to chase and film the local Ferry. With my Mavic Air, the areas where I can take off are quite limited before I'd be too far from the path to attempt a flight.
To make things more interesting, all but the very edge of my take-off area are at the edge of a (Military Restricted) no fly zone. Specifically, it appears that:

To the front and left of me would be the River, no restrictions on flight anywhere in the water. To my back I have about 10 feet before the edge of the No Fly, and I'm lucky to have 10 more feet to my right before I hit the no-fly again. Basically, the beach is clearly marked as flyable, but the shore behind it is the outer edge of a very generous No Fly for a naval base.

My questions are:

How precise are the NO Fly zones? Should I worry that I will be able to take off above the water but will not necessarily be able to make it back?
What happens if you are in mid-flight and you head (accidentally) toward a no fly? Will you stop abruptly, gradually, what will happen?

Just trying to figure out what my risks are here. As long as I don't have to land my drone in the water, I suspect the pictures will be worth a flight with sweaty palms.

Reactions: Air_Joe
I have a no fly zone that cuts my property in half. I can take off on one side of my yard, but not the other. When I fly towards the zone it stops me almost exactly on the map line. Flying Mavic Air.

Reactions: Air_Joe
I have a no fly zone that cuts my property in half. I can take off on one side of my yard, but not the other. When I fly towards the zone it stops me almost exactly on the map line. Flying Mavic Air.

Interesting! Lol... sounds like in a cartoon bro. [emoji23]

Pardon me , how does it actually ‘stops’ u?
As in giving u warning or like just cant fly it in?

Flying MA, im living in a double NFZ, overlapping within 5km of 2 airports!

Interesting! Lol... sounds like in a cartoon bro. [emoji23]

Pardon me , how does it actually ‘stops’ u?
As in giving u warning or like just cant fly it in?

Flying MA, im living in a double NFZ, overlapping within 5km of 2 airports!
The drone will not enter the NFZ. It will just stop until you change directions.

@BrianGGG ... be sure to start home with plenty of battery just in case. When you take off and travel out 100’ or so look at the drone and make a visual (eyeball) reference of the location of the drone so you can bring it back to this point in order to get it home.

Reactions: PAW and Air_Joe
The drone will not enter the NFZ. It will just stop until you change directions.

@BrianGGG ... be sure to start home with plenty of battery just in case. When you take off and travel out 100’ or so look at the drone and make a visual (eyeball) reference of the location of the drone so you can bring it back to this point in order to get it home.

Thanks Thomas B, makes sense. I won't push it to the end of the battery...

Built into the DJI it stops in midair like an invisible wall. When closer to the airport, it will not leave the ground.

lnteresting bro, as i mentioned i am staying in a double NFZ. Overlapping of 2 airports.
But at times i would just launch my bird , and hover to do some settings, without any issue..
Strange.
But for all times i launch, controller will just prompt me im in a NFZ, to fly with caution, to take full reponsible and those blah blah blah, thats is all...

Reactions: WAXMAN
Here's my situation:

I want to chase and film the local Ferry. With my Mavic Air, the areas where I can take off are quite limited before I'd be too far from the path to attempt a flight.
To make things more interesting, all but the very edge of my take-off area are at the edge of a (Military Restricted) no fly zone. Specifically, it appears that:

To the front and left of me would be the River, no restrictions on flight anywhere in the water. To my back I have about 10 feet before the edge of the No Fly, and I'm lucky to have 10 more feet to my right before I hit the no-fly again. Basically, the beach is clearly marked as flyable, but the shore behind it is the outer edge of a very generous No Fly for a naval base.

My questions are:

How precise are the NO Fly zones? Should I worry that I will be able to take off above the water but will not necessarily be able to make it back?
What happens if you are in mid-flight and you head (accidentally) toward a no fly? Will you stop abruptly, gradually, what will happen?

Just trying to figure out what my risks are here. As long as I don't have to land my drone in the water, I suspect the pictures will be worth a flight with sweaty palms.

Interesting scenario to say the least lol. What base are you flying near?

Be careful with that, if you fly so that your RTH route cuts through aNFZ or airport, or something like that it will get stuck there if it goes into RTH mode. There’s a post in lost and found from a guy that may have done that behind an airport.

Lesson learned: check to be sure a manual or emergency RTH route is safe also!

Last edited:
Reactions: WAXMAN
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229