DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly Zone

fiftiesnut

Reactions
I am finding out that the message on your RC means what it says. I am the photographer for a large RV club. I take photos inside the rally room, outside photos of RV's at ground level and from the air using my P3A. I usually fly between 50 and 100 feet to get close pictures of the RV's and the immediate surrounding area. The RV rally before this one was in June and I have purchased the Mavic since then. Several of our members were anxious to see my new drone and watch it fly. This RV rally was just south of small town Durant, OK. If there is an airport around there, it must be small and I have no idea where it is located.

I as well as other members of the club were quite disappointed when I was unable to even activate the props much less fly. The dreaded word "NoFlyZone" showed up on the RC. I fully understand the reason for not flying around airports but it should be left up to the drone piolet after being warned as to fly or not. We were there for four days and I never heard or saw one plane the entire time. By the way, I had not experienced an upgrade of film ware or software since the first of August. I just think there should be exceptions to this rule at least by allowing flight in the beginner mode. Any comments will be welcome. Thanks for reading.

Which Class NFZ is the place you're wanting to fly at?

I know that you can unlock some zones through the DJI website, it gives you a limited time to fly in the NFZ, depends on the Class.

I fly in some Class D zones which just requires me to tick two boxes on the screen and I'm up in the air

I agree there should be some way for person to take full responsibility. Up Intel a couple of years ago I flew fairly often. Since deciding I need to keep my feet on the ground am enjoying R/C and Drones

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Which Class NFZ is the place you're wanting to fly at?

I know that you can unlock some zones through the DJI website, it gives you a limited time to fly in the NFZ, depends on the Class.

I fly in some Class D zones which just requires me to tick two boxes on the screen and I'm up in the air
I have no idea what the class for this airport is. Like I said, I did not even know there was one in the area. I will not be back there again until next year. If DJI has the power to stop one from flying completely, they should also have the power to allow one to fly in the "Beginner" mode when in this situation. That would be all that I need for my photo taking. Thanks for response.

Reactions: joe_c
Or at least if they have beginner mode they could add a third mode so maybe only go 25 or 50' in air and maybe couple hundred feet horizontal distance. Certainly go aviation aircraft would or could in within that range. I suppose there would be idiots that would try it though. Year or so ago i read where someone was flying a drone above clouds and over 1K high and bragging about it. Those are the kind of people that ruin it for many of us. I'm just getting back into photography, made a fairly good living in it but that was in the days of 4X5 and black and white :) I'm 86 now so those days are long gone. Cheers ****

I have no idea what the class for this airport is. Like I said, I did not even know there was one in the area. I will not be back there again until next year. If DJI has the power to stop one from flying completely, they should also have the power to allow one to fly in the "Beginner" mode when in this situation. That would be all that I need for my photo taking. Thanks for response.

Rollback your firmware to .700 or lower and you won't have to worry about that happening again.

You must be near area 52. You can roll back your firmware to .700 and download an earlier version of DJI Assistant to turn off flight restrictions. You'll still get the warning, but you'll be able to fly. Search YouTube for tutorials.

You can use AirMap Web App to see what is causing this.

Looks like there is an airport just south of Durant, Durant Regional Airport. To the SouthWest, you have Boatner Field.
upload_2017-9-26_12-40-13.png

here's your problem. The center of Durant is only 3.5 miles from this airport.
View attachment 22297
Actually I was located closer than 3 miles. The RV park we were staying in is very close where State Highway 69 crosses South 9th Ave. It is strange that I was outside most of the time and never saw or heard an airplane. Thanks for all the information you have provided.

Reactions: Syphon
And this is why many of us refuse to update our MP and have taken to “unlocking” it, something that is sensored here. It’s really a shame that the admins of this form won’t use its large voice to incourage more reasonable methods of restricting pilots. Unless directly in the pattern of an airport there is no reason why you shouldn’t be permitted to fly at 100 feet.

And this is why many of us refuse to update our MP and have taken to “unlocking” it, something that is sensored here. It’s really a shame that the admins of this form won’t use its large voice to incourage more reasonable methods of restricting pilots. Unless directly in the pattern of an airport there is no reason why you shouldn’t be permitted to fly at 100 feet.
Many thanks for you input. I totally agree with what you are saying.

I fly within 1 mile at max 200 feet of a class C airport (with ATC permission) using .7 version, just have to accept the 2 warnings and go.
I fly indoors within a restricted zone (red circle) and only ever have to accept the 2 warnings and mine is on the latest firmware. To date even after all the hub bub of firmware over .700 it has never stopped me from flying, all I must do is take responsibility for flying by ticking off the two boxes.

I fly indoors within a restricted zone (red circle) and only ever have to accept the 2 warnings and mine is on the latest firmware. To date even after all the hub bub of firmware over .700 it has never stopped me from flying, all I must do is take responsibility for flying by ticking off the two boxes.

What firmware are you on? If you're not above .700, then you can do exactly that.

Here's a post from a forum moderator that shows you exactly what happens with red zone NFZs and later firmware versions:

Good job dji, NFZ

A quick search of MavicPilots will show you many such similar experiences.

Reactions: dirkclod
Like I said, I have the latest software 1.04. I am well within the red zone being only several hundred meters from the tower, but I only fly indoors, have never tried to fly outdoors as that would be a definite no no. We do indoor flying every second Friday and the Mavic hovers at about 10 feet taking video of the different events. It might be because I'm inside flying by the downward pointing vision cameras as GPS would be sketchy at best, But all I have ever had to do by checking off the two boxes was acknowledge that I knew I was in a restricted zone and had permission to fly there, which I do.

Like I said, I have the latest software 1.04. I am well within the red zone being only several hundred meters from the tower, but I only fly indoors, have never tried to fly outdoors as that would be a definite no no. We do indoor flying every second Friday and the Mavic hovers at about 10 feet taking video of the different events. It might be because I'm inside flying by the downward pointing vision cameras as GPS would be sketchy at best, But all I have ever had to do by checking off the two boxes was acknowledge that I knew I was in a restricted zone and had permission to fly there, which I do.

Quite strange this. So no GPS or data connection to your RC?

Like I said, I have the latest software 1.04.

That's the software. But what version is your aircraft's firmware?

Also, without GPS, how does your app even know where you are? Or does your device have a GPS signal?

Quite strange this. So no GPS or data connection to your RC?
I get spotty GPS from the Mavic but full data connection using a Samsung 4G tab E with the latest DJI Go app. So it does give me a home point as updated but I don't always have GPS from the Mavic. Will have to get back to on the firmware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom