DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

no-fly zones

I have to say I was super excited to get going with my new toy (Mavic 2 pro) but it appears I live a seriously congested no-fly & restricted fly area. I live inside of the orange circle area (a few miles from a small local airport), so as i understand it, I can't fly this at my house or in my neighborhood and most of the areas we frequent (beaches/boat) are no-fly zones. Basically the entire Cape Cod national sea shore is no-fly -WTF. The green lines below represent the areas we boat and beach in the summer and most of it is impacted in some way. Now I'm wondering if should just return the Drone and buy another stand up paddle board. I guess I don't even have a question, this is my first post and it's a basically just a rant. I don't really want to return this but DAM that's a pretty depressing map.
View attachment 68031
If you are located near where the paper airplane icon is ie Plymouth, MA, there's no reason you cannot fly out there. If you're operating under Section 336, just contact the airport manager at KPYM ahead of time and tell them of your proposed flight areas and times and they should be able to take it into consideration. Cape Cod is a national wildlife refuge and they don't want low flying aircraft disturbing things out there. Rockport and Glouchester should be good, provided you do not intrude the boundaries of KBVY's Class D airspace or enter the Parker River NWR north of there. sUAS flying is going to be more difficult on the east coast with high density air traffic than in other areas of the country.

Reactions: GH02050
The Cape can be a frustrating place since the National Seashore would offer some fantastic views but you can't fly there. All of Chatham is within 5 miles of the airport but the AP manager and his staff have been very helpful and easy to work with. I fly conservatively and within the FAA rules and have never been told I should not fly at the town beaches or fields where I go. The same has been true around my home in NJ. I am confident that if you work with your local airport you can find some interesting places to fly too.

I agree, and after watching some more training videos today I am definitely leaning towards keep this thing. The active track features are pretty awesome.

Ok it's official, I'm keeping this thing (Mav2Pro).
I open the box today, assembled everything, charged the controller and main battery, loaded DJI desktop and phone apps, loaded Airmap app, updated the controller and drone with DJ assistant then established the Remote > Drone connection. Got my FAA reg numbers and lastly activated it with DJI. Once the reg numbers on this bird, I think I am ready to go.
Let the games begin!

I just talked to DJI they told me to e-mail them with all my info. And they would unlock my drone for that location.
I was 5 miles away from the ball park, and just wanted some pics of the pool, like from 30 feet high, how would that mess with a baseball game? Preseason
Its 1 hour before a MLB game during and 1 hour after... 3 NM radius.

I just talked to DJI they told me to e-mail them with all my info. And they would unlock my drone for that location.
I was 5 miles away from the ball park, and just wanted some pics of the pool, like from 30 feet high, how would that mess with a baseball game? Preseason

Because DJI has become "Big Brother" & would rather make you "safe" rather than allow you to fly. Their lawyers will always suggest that... IMHO!

I can understand a 5 mile radius around an airport, because of potential conflicts with airport traffic. But is it 5 miles around a baseball game? That's crazy. One mile would be a ridiculous safety buffer.
Problem is that at 30+ mph a 1 mile restriction would allow only 2 min or less for recognition and action to be taken. It’s just temporary.

Last edited:
Tibet is one of the regions of the world with a natural no-fly zone due to factors such as the high mountains situated within its borders.

I also live in an overlapping NFZ but I can unlock it and I can fly under 400 feet no problem. Here is a shot of my location on the DJI map. I'm right at the top right corner of the blue cross.
ff761d7fa644a1633fa0a7b90284a180.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro