DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No GPS

Trini_MP

Reactions
Pilots,

I planned this hike to a very remote location in my country to one of the most majestic waterfalls. I went out and purchased a bunch of gear to allow me to take my Mavic with me to capture the waterfall's splendor.

So after about 5 hours of hiking in some brutal conditions as it is the rainy season here, arrived at the waterfall and set up my Mavic where it was unable to go very high as there was no GPS sats available (only 5-7). the flight was very unstable and almost lost control a few times but was able to recover.

Any suggestions as to how I can fly my Mavic without gps. Note that my flight will not be very far away from the remote; but the height of the waterfall is over 300 feet.

Pilots,

I planned this hike to a very remote location in my country to one of the most majestic waterfalls. I went out and purchased a bunch of gear to allow me to take my Mavic with me to capture the waterfall's splendor.

So after about 5 hours of hiking in some brutal conditions as it is the rainy season here, arrived at the waterfall and set up my Mavic where it was unable to go very high as there was no GPS sats available (only 5-7). the flight was very unstable and almost lost control a few times but was able to recover.

Any suggestions as to how I can fly my Mavic without gps. Note that my flight will not be very far away from the remote; but the height of the waterfall is over 300 feet.

You must have been in a hole surrounded by terrain without a good view of the sky. Since you were picking up 5-7 satellites the GPS WAS working. Sounds like it was not a good location to me.

Well you can practice flying with no GPS by placing a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the Mavic and taping it down. This will block the GPS signal and you will be flying in what is known as ATTI Mode. Only do this in wide open spaces so you can try and get a "feel" for how the Mavic responds. Dont allow the aluminum foil to drape over the sides and cover the air intake vents.

Any suggestions as to how I can fly my Mavic without gps.
Very carefully. It could be a risky flight if there are lots of obstacles in the area and/or it's windy.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Had this same issue in Kauai. Sometimes I hold the controller over my head hoping the extra foot will help. But question, should I be holding the drone higher, or the controller? How does it work?

well the area i was flying was under heavy tree cover and was actually in a valley; hence the lack of GPS sats. I constantly got "max altitude reached" and was unable to get higher to even acquire more GPS sats. WHAT DO I DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS?

is there an option\setting that i use to allow me to free fly the device?

well the area i was flying was under heavy tree cover and was actually in a valley; hence the lack of GPS sats. I constantly got "max altitude reached" and was unable to get higher to even acquire more GPS sats. WHAT DO I DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS?

is there an option\setting that i use to allow me to free fly the device?

To my understanding no. Without gps enabled in atti mode you can only fly like 90 feet away. Mssinger can you confirm?

I forgot the "how does it work" question. The Mavic has the GPS antenna so it can use GPS data to ascertain its position. It then relays this information to the RC which relays it to the app on your display. If it does not receive GPS data from enough satellites (in a canyon, under a bridge, etc) it will switch into atti mode. This can cause it to drift (mainly caused by wind) because without GPS data it cannot know that it is drifting and correct itself. The normal solution is to gain height or fly out from under an obstruction to re-establish GPS.

Reactions: BD0G
Sometimes, certain things are just meant to be viewed and enjoyed with the naked eye.

I think this is one of them!!

Unless I'm totally off the mark here, the loss of GPS will only cause you to lose all the advanced features of the Mavic including RTH.
Without GPS, you will be in ATTI mode which means the MP will drift with the wind, like a balloon but all the flight stability and I believe altitude holding, will still work.
My first DJI Quad, the F450 Flamewheel did not come with GPS. That was an additional option. It had ATTI and Manual controlled by a switch.
Flying in ATTI is easy, jus remember it drifts and YOU have to keep in hovering in the same spot.

Reactions: MavicCF
I fly my old phantom in atti all the time as it’s much more sporty that when in gps mode . Just takes practice

To my understanding no. Without gps enabled in atti mode you can only fly like 90 feet away. Mssinger can you confirm?

If true, that's super lame. The only time I've flown in ATTI was inside my house, so I didn't really have a chance to test out distance.

There is a difference between switching into ATTI via a button (like the Phantoms) and flying in ATTI because of a lack of GPS.

When you flip into ATTI manually while you have GPS, you retain features like RTH, distance meter, speedometer, etc because the Mavic still has GPS, it’s just not using it to position hold.

If you take off without any GPS, it’s different. The Mavic can no longer RTH or use some of its other features. That is why I’m guessing DJI restricts the altitude (and distance?) of the Mavic when it takes off in ATTI mode without GPS signal.

ok i get it more or less; however because of the location (valley) i am unable to get high enough to even get gps!! i think i am a confident enough flyer to fly without gps but it is very restricted.

is there a way that i can increase the height at which it can fly in atti mode? at least high enough to get satellites.

...is there a way that i can increase the height at which it can fly in atti mode? at least high enough to get satellites.
Perhaps you could fly toward more open sky to acquire more satellites (my MP needs 8 for GPS mode), rise as high as you need for your shot, then approach from the top and work your way down. Just make sure to maintain visual because you already experienced the drift that can happen in atti mode.

If possible, you could launch from the top of the falls and fly down to the bottom and then work your way back up. Sense your display will show your height in minus numbers as you descend it may work to beat a height restriction.

I have flown my Air much higher than 90' in ATTI mode. I used the foil trick to force it to ATTI. It would say I have reached max height but I would keep pushing up while flying around and it would eventually go. I only had 1-2 satellites so maybe that makes a difference, not sure. It took about 12 layers of foil across the whole top of the drone so a bit of a pain. I cut it all to fit just right so I kept it for future use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000