DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No idea I could do this, and a question.

jimmy_jak

Reactions
Until I watched a random YT video, I didn't realize I could drag my finger on the Smart Controller screen and pan/tilt the camera. This is so awesome.

I have a question. Is there a feature that locks the gimble in place after shutdown? It would make putting the cover on so much easier.

Thnx

Reactions: GrafXXX
welcome to the forum,once the battery is turned off then the gimbal is free to move it is only held in position during use that is why it needs a cover ,it serves a duel purpose locks the gimbal in place and protects it from dirt

welcome to the forum,once the battery is turned off then the gimbal is free to move it is only held in position during use that is why it needs a cover ,it serves a duel purpose locks the gimbal in place and protects it from dirt
Absolutely be careful as you can break it. You develop a technique to get it on fast, but dont forget to put it on(I sound like my father when I was going on a date) and dont forget to take it off prior to turning on the unit.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong but I never put the gimbal cover on. Call me lazy and forgetful but I just don’t. After four years I’ve never had an issue.
I always feel like I’m doing more harm wrangling it on then not.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong but I never put the gimbal cover on. Call me lazy and forgetful but I just don’t. After four years I’ve never had an issue.
I always feel like I’m doing more harm wrangling it on then not.

akin to saying I never install a spare tire on my car - I never get punctures

it only takes one time of poor packing to break an expensive part

slipping on the cover is easy - slide it in from the top into the notches then swing it upwards to lock in

worth making it a habit

slipping on the cover is easy - slide it in from the top into the notches then swing it upwards to lock in

worth making it a habit

Maybe so. But over the years and having had many flat tires I always keep a spare in good shape.
But after years of never using a gimbal cover and never having a problem I don’t.
It truly is a personal choice if it makes you feel good then you should do it.

Same applys like old man mavic says the gimbal is free to move when powered down.
I agree that the gimbal lock / cover can be a pain I preferred the separate lock & cover as on the Mavic Pro I found it a lot easier.
Fit the top and click in the bottom; then vice versa. Easy after a few fittings. ?

Maybe so. But over the years and having had many flat tires I always keep a spare in good shape.
But after years of never using a gimbal cover and never having a problem I don’t.
I only use the cover during transport, otherwise it just sits without the cover. But certainly, when the drone goes into the hardcase to be taken somewhere, cover is installed. My opinion, not worth the shocks in moving around to the gimbal. They designed the cover/lock setup for a reason (beyond just to annoy everyone with the stupidest engineered design ever).

Reactions: Happyonmyhill
I’ve found installing the gimbal cover on my MM easier, if I install it while the MM is still powered on. After installing the cover then I power down.
I turn the MM on its back, install the gimbal cover, then hit the power button. The gimbal remains nicely horizontal, while sliding on the cover.

you're still clinging to the "hasn't happened, means it wont happen" mindset

I suppose I should stop wearing my seatbelt because I've never been in a bad accident or stop wearing my helmet because I've never crashed my bike

It truly is a personal choice if it makes you feel good then you should do it- in your case - an expensive one considering how exposed the gimbal and how little effort it takes

since you're adamant about being complacent, I highly recommend you buy a spare gimbal
if/when the time comes, at least you'll have it handy and won't have to hunt for one

you're still clinging to the "hasn't happened, means it wont happen" mindset

I suppose I should stop wearing my seatbelt because I've never been in a bad accident or stop wearing my helmet because I've never crashed my bike

It truly is a personal choice if it makes you feel good then you should do it- in your case - an expensive one considering how exposed the gimbal and how little effort it takes

since you're adamant about being complacent, I highly recommend you buy a spare gimbal
if/when the time comes, at least you'll have it handy and won't have to hunt for one
Seatbelts have saved many lives and I use them. It's proven. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's not common to break your gimbal because you didn't have the cover on.
If you were to drop you drone maybe so, but since there is a good chance it would be off anyway (like after a flight) I still have yet to hear of it saving anything,
I also don't use lens caps on my DSLR for the same reason. In that case I would rather get the shot and I see it as low risk.
If it makes you feel comfortable I get it. You should do it.

I install it while the MM is still powered on. After installing the cover then I power down.
I turn the MM on its back, install the gimbal cover, then hit the power button. The gimbal remains nicely horizontal, while sliding on the cover.

That sounds like it would work! I'm going to try it. Until now I've been fumbling with the gimbal cover, trying to get it to snap in place on my MM. Thanks Fun Flyer! Happy flying

Reactions: Fun Flyer

worth making it a habit

I totally agree though on a side note, I learned from a utube post that they modified the cover somewhat to make it easier to put on. Every previous post I saw, they were struggling. I don't know how long my zoom has been sitting on the shelf but its only a month old but putting on the cover is a breeze.

WDK

Last edited:
It's obvious "drone" is either unaware of issues the camera cover protect against or doesn't care. No point in trying to convince him/her otherwise. As to putting cover on while drone is on, that may be more dangerous than not using the cover at all.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
It's obvious "drone" is either unaware of issues the camera cover protect against or doesn't care. No point in trying to convince him/her otherwise. As to putting cover on while drone is on, that may be more dangerous than not using the cover at all.
It would be really interesting to hear those issues and then show me an example of it occurring.

Hi Searat290. No danger as when the MM is upside down the motors won’t start, so that wouldn’t be an issue. Also the power button is right next to the camera area, so pretty quick shutdown can happen.
Have a great day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu