DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No idea what to charge for real estate photography

Also, you may piss off 1 client, that will tell 10....
But do an exceptional job, and that client will also tell 10..

It would be nice if it worked that way but that's not how it works in the business world. It takes a LOT to get someone to brag on you and/or your work. Basic human nature is to complain about something 10x more than complimenting and even more so when it's Business-to-Business. When you're working as a professional you are expected to EXCEL in performance. B2B can be brutal.

It would be nice if it worked that way but that's not how it works in the business world. It takes a LOT to get someone to brag on you and/or your work. Basic human nature is to complain about something 10x more than complimenting and even more so when it's Business-to-Business. When you're working as a professional you are expected to EXCEL in performance. B2B can be brutal.

Roger that, I have been self employed for 30 years.. employed many staff, and humped it out on my own...
Your sentiment was correct, however I see the glass half full mate!

Reactions: BigAl07
I contacted several real estate agents in the area, but some of them are unsurprisingly asking for prices and I have no idea what to say. I have my part 107.

Obviously I am not trying to make a fortune, but I also don't want to drive 30 miles there and back and only get paid like $80. Please help me out so I don't undercut myself and others in a similar profession. I've searched and read a few threads on google, but still not sure what to estimate.
If an agent is hiring you for a residential real estate shoot, they will be expecting images of both the exterior and **interior** of the home. Do you have a good DSLR camera? Do you know how to use it, properly? If so, you have a shot (pun intended). I've met several up-and-coming real estate "photographers" who thought they could shoot interiors with their cell phones. I even met one who did all of the post processing work on their phones. None of them stayed in business more than one year.

I don't know anything about your photography experience or the equipment you have, but just owning a drone, with no other gear or experience in professional photography won't cut it. There's at least 50 other guys in your town who have the right gear, have experience, know how to frame and edit a proper photo and who know what to charge for their work.

I said this recently in another thread. I've been shooting for way too long to be worried about price matching a young kid with a drone. I charge for the value of my work and I charge enough to cover my expenses, keeping my business going + profit.

Now, if you have what it takes and are ready to go - offer your first few jobs for free. Doing a one-time shoot is nice, but getting a returning client is what pays the bills.

Seems like all doom and gloom eh??!!!
Its not mate, there is a lot of good info here!!!
Absorb it like Kitty litter and throw out the stuff you dont need.....yet....?!!

Seems like all doom and gloom eh??!!!
Its not mate, there is a lot of good info here!!!
Absorb it like Kitty litter and throw out the stuff you dont need.....yet....?!!
Well said sir...I think he should check out other avenues for making a living with his drone...UAV EXPERT offers several certifications for drone pilots...big $$ jobs...just a suggestion...be safe fly safe

Reactions: BigAl07
If an agent is hiring you for a residential real estate shoot, they will be expecting images of both the exterior and **interior** of the home.

Or team up with an architecture photog (or two) who doesn't want to deal with drones. They do their thing, OP does drone stuff, photog delivers completed package to client.

Just keep in mind that many photogs can be quite insecure. They're fearful of others stealing their clients, or the technique they learned on the latest hot photography blog that everyone in the industry read.

You keep saying "I'm only 21" which says that you aren't serious about creating a real business.

Bill Gates was 20 when he started Microsoft.
No. It is just that people are thinking I am starting a full on business and while that is the eventual goal potentially I don't understand why you think I need to figure everything out right now before just working as a solo agent and seeing if this is what I want to do. Honestly I think it is kind of terrible advice. Maybe if I was 40 years old it would be a good idea to plan ahead that far before quiting a career, but why figure literally everything a business needs to stay afloat before I have any clients. I am getting a bachelor's in information systems and marketing. I have no plan on only doing a "drone" business. Just exploring other avenues currently.

If an agent is hiring you for a residential real estate shoot, they will be expecting images of both the exterior and **interior** of the home. Do you have a good DSLR camera? Do you know how to use it, properly? If so, you have a shot (pun intended). I've met several up-and-coming real estate "photographers" who thought they could shoot interiors with their cell phones. I even met one who did all of the post processing work on their phones. None of them stayed in business more than one year.

I don't know anything about your photography experience or the equipment you have, but just owning a drone, with no other gear or experience in professional photography won't cut it. There's at least 50 other guys in your town who have the right gear, have experience, know how to frame and edit a proper photo and who know what to charge for their work.

I said this recently in another thread. I've been shooting for way too long to be worried about price matching a young kid with a drone. I charge for the value of my work and I charge enough to cover my expenses, keeping my business going + profit.

Now, if you have what it takes and are ready to go - offer your first few jobs for free. Doing a one-time shoot is nice, but getting a returning client is what pays the bills.
Lol yea I don't just have a drone. I am glad you actually asked that question. It seems everybody else just assumed I was only doing drone work, in which case there would be no point in this thread as I would have already failed. The drone is just an accessory imo or in this case a selling point.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ