DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No insulation for gimbal motor wires?!? Picture included

Ok, fellas. Let’s stay on topic. ;)

So it seems that all is well...

Anybody got a picture of an M2Z gimbal wire? It seems so... Not right. I trust people with more experience than myself, nobody had mentioned whether or not the cables are insulated on the M2 line.

(If it was mentioned, I'm sorry I missed it)

I’m going to say that I’m sure it’s fine... DJI hasn’t put out pieces of junk in the past and I’m betting they didn’t decide to make this the first time...

When I see those pictures very close up, I see what looks like braided wire with a clear coating on them. It doesn’t even make logical sense that they would skimp to such a degree to use bare copper wire. The cost savings to quality degradation ratio of a move like that is completely stupid. Firstly it would cause almost instantaneous failure, if not from an immediate short but as that copper oxidizes being exposed, especially being in the gimbal and making contact with the elements in flight.

I don’t have this drone yet and know thing first hand. With that being said I’ll bet anything that this isn’t the case.

Copper doesn't flex very well if too thick - it breaks; so I suspect they are individually insulated thin wires for flexibility.

Reactions: psloan
As promised, I received my Mavic Air 2 this morning and checked the gimbal wires with my multimeter. There was no conductivity, so there must be some kind of insulation on them. (and as others already said, this makes sense because otherwise they would short out since they are all touching each other)

I’m glad you take good care of your quads, especially the Mavic Air.

Actually, that pic of the Anafi camera/motor harness has gone through hell. It’s a parts unit, it’s helped keep my other two Anafi flying.

In the future, I’ll try and keep my broken down drones clean. Didn’t realize I had too ?View attachment 101089
Well said!

Wow incredible that you can see those wires, just want to say looking at the camera looks like there’s a little bit of dust already on the cooling fans, other poeples with Mavic air2 should post there pics to see if all look like that??

Or, if it's not insulated, it's probably an earth (ground) wire, which shouldn't matter if it touches anything other than an uninsulated live wire. It's common enough to see bare earth wires in cars, where you're dealing with a full 12 V and many, MANY more amps.

As promised, I received my Mavic Air 2 this morning and checked the gimbal wires with my multimeter. There was no conductivity, so there must be some kind of insulation on them. (and as others already said, this makes sense because otherwise they would short out since they are all touching each other)
Your right wouldn't work if it wasn't insulated. I work in a transformer plant where I watch them wrap wire like this all the time. The insulation is so tough that they use a propane torch to burn it off if they have to splice it on a wire out or break.

The wires handle all of the power and data transmission from the camera module and may include some power lines for gimbal motors. Was the same in the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air (if you look closely..). Very thin wires with even thinner insulation.

Mavic Pro:
1589679796382.png

Mavic Air:
1589679532225.png
1589679581977.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member