DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No matter what i do, i just can't...

jackdaws

Reactions
Hi all,

No matter what i do, i just cant get smooth footage?
I have tried allsorts, Pal, NTSC, 24fps, 30fps, 60fps etc, Frame rate and shutter syncs, ND filters, correct FC project settings and so on! Everything i have done is all in manual. If the drone is stationary and cars etc are moving it looks ok, but if i pan the drone (slowly) it still looks crap. I mean when you compare it to say a gopro or simlar the mavic performs terrible. I know the gopro is going to be better anyway, but still.
I look at mavic footage on YouTube and it looks smooth as butter. but mine just stutters so much! I use slow pans, nothing aggressive. I have read many different threads on this subject and nobody seems to have a definitive answer?

The only thing left for me to do is try a different SD card. Im using 16g scandisk extreme.
What else can i do?

Thanks all!

Most likely the gimbal is not seated properly.
There are numerous YouTube videos on checking the gimbal.

Rob

Reactions: jackdaws
Agreed, yep, need a video sample. And indicate what settings you had for video fps and shutter at a minimum. Bonus to know resolution, ISO, ND filters if any, and so on.

You might try a full settings reset, which can be found in the menu. Then go out early evening about an hour before the sun goes down, set 30fps and 60 shutter (should be about right for the time of day, it is for me in southern MN at least), and take a test flight. Consider also trying tripod mode or cinematic mode to help slow the Mavic speed down.

The gimbal idea may be good as well, he knows his stuff. That's one possible solution. A video sample would help decide if that's the type of solution needed, though.

Lower sensitivity of the stick movements? One of the first things I did.

Cinematic mode / Tripod mode, and this ^^^ is what I'm going to try sometime soon, love the slow graceful feel of most videos.
Also the gimbal sensitivity is adjustable to move slower / smoother.

Can your PC handle 4k playback?
Maybe try recording in 1080p or try a different player.

What are the specs for the computer on which you are viewing the footage? It may simply be that the computer is not playing the footage back smoothly...?

Thanks all, i will make some video samples and upload to YT. My mac specs are 'macbook pro, 3.6, i7, 16g ram'
If i were to view the footage some other way instead of the macbook, how would i do that? play it direct from the mavic to the TV or what?

Thanks again all and i will sort sample shortly and report back!

You can try a friends PC, if it is "late enough", as in a couple of years old.
When you are flying/filming, do you see smooth video on your tablet/phone?
I had to buy a new PC when I built my Tarot Hex heavy lift, and the Mavic. Could not handle the 4K.

Ok I have seemed to have fixed the stutter problem using nd filter and adjusting sensitivity on my controls. My settings were 4k 30fps and double shutter speed.

Now i have a new problem.... as mentioned the footage seems perfect now, however i have this awful 'pulsing' effect happening on all the footage.. it just never ends! Anyone have any tips regarding what this is?

Cheers

Ok I have seemed to have fixed the stutter problem using nd filter and adjusting sensitivity on my controls. My settings were 4k 30fps and double shutter speed.

Now i have a new problem.... as mentioned the footage seems perfect now, however i have this awful 'pulsing' effect happening on all the footage.. it just never ends! Anyone have any tips regarding what this is?

Cheers

Was it a windy day?

ok, now i have got rid of the pulsing effect.. basically don't shoot in 4k. It seems the 2k is much better and a good compromise for me, i don't mind it still looks great.
So the best setting for me are!

2K, 30fps, 60 shutter speed, manual white balance (your choice which one), ND filters to keep the exposure down due to the low frame rate. That's pretty much it! and i have sharpness to +1 only because everyone recommends to do so it seems.

ok, now i have got rid of the pulsing effect.. basically don't shoot in 4k. It seems the 2k is much better and a good compromise for me, i don't mind it still looks great.
So the best setting for me are!

2K, 30fps, 60 shutter speed, manual white balance (your choice which one), ND filters to keep the exposure down due to the low frame rate. That's pretty much it! and i have sharpness to +1 only because everyone recommends to do so it seems.

People recommend it (Sharpness +1) because most people experience spots of very low detail/blur with any other setting. This is due to the way they implement noise reduction at anything below +1.

Hi all,

No matter what i do, i just cant get smooth footage?
I have tried allsorts, Pal, NTSC, 24fps, 30fps, 60fps etc, Frame rate and shutter syncs, ND filters, correct FC project settings and so on! Everything i have done is all in manual. If the drone is stationary and cars etc are moving it looks ok, but if i pan the drone (slowly) it still looks crap. I mean when you compare it to say a gopro or simlar the mavic performs terrible. I know the gopro is going to be better anyway, but still.
I look at mavic footage on YouTube and it looks smooth as butter. but mine just stutters so much! I use slow pans, nothing aggressive. I have read many different threads on this subject and nobody seems to have a definitive answer?

The only thing left for me to do is try a different SD card. Im using 16g scandisk extreme.
What else can i do?

Thanks all!
No problems here.

Huh? what are you saying? Your first video is very low quality so its not a good example.. second video is pulsing exactly like i explained and the third video is not smooth, its stuttering from left to right again like i explained. Maybe you havn't seen proper clean footage yet? because what you have posted looks terrible and exactly my point.

You can try a friends PC, if it is "late enough", as in a couple of years old.
When you are flying/filming, do you see smooth video on your tablet/phone?
I had to buy a new PC when I built my Tarot Hex heavy lift, and the Mavic. Could not handle the 4K.

My seven-year-old Dell plays 4K just fine. 2.4Ghz quad core processor and 16 GBs of RAM.

As far as the above, I would never judge video based on how it looks on Facebook, which converts everything to low bitrate 720p.

Huh? what are you saying? Your first video is very low quality so its not a good example.. second video is pulsing exactly like i explained and the third video is not smooth, its stuttering from left to right again like i explained. Maybe you havn't seen proper clean footage yet? because what you have posted looks terrible and exactly my point.
OK so obviously you don't realize that Facebook compresses your video and makes it look like crap. The actual files look good but Facebook makes it look like crap.

OK so obviously you don't realize that Facebook compresses your video and makes it look like crap. The actual files look good but Facebook makes it look like crap.

Then why would you post them here to prove a point?
I can still clearly see the 'pulsing/flickering' regardless of quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki