DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No tripod mode? Cine is still too fast, who has some good gimbal settings?

Black Diesel

Reactions
Too bad the Mini 3 Pro doesn't have tripod mode as I find Cine mode still too fast. Can someone point me to a place where someone posted some nice smooth gimbal settings?

Reactions: DaveLewin
Have you played with the control curves yet? You should be able to bend them into something very, very slow.

Hit the 3 dots in the upper right corner, tap"control", go down to the Remote Controller section, look for Advanced, tap it. There will be 3 x/y graphs that show the response curves. You can bend them with your finger, or enter values. Low values make the low-speed control range larger, high values make it smaller. Try .1 for Cine mode, see if you like it.

Reactions: Rick243
Have you played with the control curves yet? You should be able to bend them into something very, very slow.

Hit the 3 dots in the upper right corner, tap"control", go down to the Remote Controller section, look for Advanced, tap it. There will be 3 x/y graphs that show the response curves. You can bend them with your finger, or enter values. Low values make the low-speed control range larger, high values make it smaller. Try .1 for Cine mode, see if you like it.
Thanks I will try this. Does this affect all stick controls and the gimbal or do I have to change the gimbal speed settings too?

Gimbal settings are separate, in the same top-level menu, but under "gimbal". There are four settings for each mode, each setting is adjustable. For example, you have Pitch Speed, Pitch Smoothness, Yaw Rotation Speed and Yaw Smoothness. Make a note fo the existing settings so you can return to them.

There are separate stick and gimbal settings for each mode, cine, normal and sport. Just take some time and dig around in the control settings menus. They aren't all that well documented in the manual.

OK, well not too sure what that means, but "tripod mode" on a Phantom 4 was "limited to 5.6mph/9kph", but of course, would go slower. I've flown the Mini 3 Pro at about 1mph in cine mode. It looked like a slow dolly push-in. And that was without any control curve changes to improve low speed control. If I wanted the result to be even slower, I'd probably opt for shooting slow motion. If you need to go slower than a very slow walk, the Mini 3 may not be the best tool, but it can work.

It seems a lot of people got so swept up in the Mini 3 hype that they now expect it to do absotluely everything. It's very, very good, but it's not perfect in every way. But then no drone is, just no camera is, etc. You always need the right tool for the application.

But also, there's the good old 80/20 rule which says you can get 80% of the value at 20% of the cost or investment. Then it flips over, and you have to spend the last 80% of the cost or investment to get the last 20% of value. And the last 5% is most of that. It just how stuff works. The Mini 3 is an excellent all purpose drone. It does have limitations. There are lots of other great tools to get that extremely slow shot though.

I know it's not perfect. but I own mavic 3 and its have same problem. And this is not my first rodeo.

My point is DJI get it right for old drones like M2. So hey can do it, they just choose not todo so.

Reactions: pyrolator
Interesting News, now im waiting for the improved update.
I hope before Xmas ;)

Could someone who thinks they need to fly slowly please post some sort of metric, like the actual speed you think is still too fast, or a sample video of where they need to fly more slowly?

I just did a quick test yesterday, flew the M3P at 0.7mph for quite a long shot. It looked like a slow dolly push-in. I can't imagine needing to go slower, but I could have cut the visual speed even more by shooting in slowmo, which would have taken it down to a presidential crawl.

I just would like to understand the problem better.

A lot depends on the subject matter, the frame rate, the subject distance and the flight path relative to it.

Here's a worst case scenario. Highly detailed subject matter, travelling laterally, as close to the subject as I felt comfortable and flying as slowly as I could while maintaining an absolutely constant speed. Still too fast IMHO.

A lot depends on the subject matter, the frame rate, the subject distance and the flight path relative to it.

Here's a worst case scenario. Highly detailed subject matter, travelling laterally, as close to the subject as I felt comfortable and flying as slowly as I could while maintaining an absolutely constant speed. Still too fast IMHO.

Video shows "unavailable - private". Just change to "unlisted".

Turn the expo as low as you can. Adjust the pitch and yaw just a little faster than you like. Then with a very little stick movement, you can easily go 1 mph.

^^^. Yup, 1mph or less, no problem. And try slomo.
Still no,

If you adjust exp as slow as you can for start, then the end side of the stick is gonna be too fast. Exp is always just a compromise of stick behaviour between start and end side of stick. This is more important if you want to use sticks for multiple axes simultaneously or accelerate video clip speed. Obviously it's less important if you just make simple movements like plain sideways or simple orbit (if you hand super steady, then no problem at all of course) Also when exp is set to super low you need to accelerate longer to gain a desired speed before you can start recording video. This makes shooting video more hard for many cases when an object is close to a drone.

I have tested exp settings a lot and I think a line in the middle or a little less like 0.2 - 0.3 is the best compromise for me personally, but sometimes I have to tweak exp settings for middle of flying because different types of video clip need different settings, which is super annoying. When I was still using M2 I just needed to tweak a speed which was much easier.

Also slow motion is no option for many cases, it will make all moving objects like cars speed look slow too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929