DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

the recent firmware update

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
for me now having the ability to do all the different speed settings has been a real godsend ,when it comes to videoing
i dont do any post editing my videos are just saved on my hard drive ,and although the original Cine setting was ok for video it was still too fast to get really smooth video, and i wouldn't even consider using Bypass mode, even in Cine, it was too jittery and abrupt ,no matter how good you were on the sticks
but all that is a thing of the past ,now i dialed everything down and actually flew in bypass today and the video was as smooth as butter ,so Cine has now become a better version of the old tripod mode that i still use on my MPP
its not about taking away the skills of learning gentle stick inputs and making changes to the expo ,it allows the drone to be flown in a way that eliminates sudden movements ,has no benefit for photos ,where you just want to get there compose your shot and then move on
i dont use the auto modes much myself ,maybe someone could let us know how the new settings are in those some time

It's a great little drone yes.
But on windy days it's best to grap you M2P.
I do the same with my Air2S.
yep yep...great drone but don't get it in a fight with the wind. It will lose :).

Reactions: Mrktn
for me now having the ability to do all the different speed settings has been a real godsend ,when it comes to videoing
i dont do any post editing my videos are just saved on my hard drive ,and although the original Cine setting was ok for video it was still too fast to get really smooth video, and i wouldn't even consider using Bypass mode, even in Cine, it was too jittery and abrupt ,no matter how good you were on the sticks
but all that is a thing of the past ,now i dialed everything down and actually flew in bypass today and the video was as smooth as butter ,so Cine has now become a better version of the old tripod mode that i still use on my MPP
its not about taking away the skills of learning gentle stick inputs and making changes to the expo ,it allows the drone to be flown in a way that eliminates sudden movements ,has no benefit for photos ,where you just want to get there compose your shot and then move on
i dont use the auto modes much myself ,maybe someone could let us know how the new settings are in those some time
with the latest update, my minimum speed remains at 3.6 kph ...

Please clarify. I noticed after getting my Air 2S that the Cine mode actually flies way faster than the tripod mode in my old DJI Spark. Are you saying that if I update to the latest firmware for my Air 2S, that it will fly much slower now in Cine mode? TIA.

Please clarify. I noticed after getting my Air 2S that the Cine mode actually flies way faster than the tripod mode in my old DJI Spark. Are you saying that if I update to the latest firmware for my Air 2S, that it will fly much slower now in Cine mode? TIA.
No, regrettably, it' only for the Mavic 3 and Mini 3.

It's a great little drone yes.
But on windy days it's best to grap you M2P.
I do the same with my Air2S.
True story - I was in New Mexico in a canyon last year. The Mini 3 Pro flew fine (well, it was very windy) in the winds but I had real issues with the Air 2S - it dang near got blown away and I thought I was gonna lose it. The issue was coming back against the headwind even in Sport.

True story - I was in New Mexico in a canyon last year. The Mini 3 Pro flew fine (well, it was very windy) in the winds but I had real issues with the Air 2S - it dang near got blown away and I thought I was gonna lose it. The issue was coming back against the headwind even in Sport.
You must mean you had real issues with Mini 3 Pro.
Air 2S is a much more power drone.

You must mean you had real issues with Mini 3 Pro.
Air 2S is a much more power drone.
Nope - what I said. The Air2S was being a wuss and struggling to come back against a headwind. I had to tack it like it was a sailboat.
The M3P struggled but came back straight in with less effort.
I was surprised too. Possibly the Mini 3P was a bit higher and the airflow was lessened but I have no way of knowing.

@Brojon your post illustrates quite well that its not only altitude that can have a bearing on wind speed and direction
these things can be changed simply by the very nature of the location where the flight is being conducted ,the wind can even be traveling in different directions at different heights

Nope - what I said. The Air2S was being a wuss and struggling to come back against a headwind. I had to tack it like it was a sailboat.
The M3P struggled but came back straight in with less effort.
I was surprised too. Possibly the Mini 3P was a bit higher and the airflow was lessened but I have no way of knowing.
There must be an external conditions' explanation.
I've tested numerous times A2S and it's superior to M3P (which I also have) in windy conditions.

You were lucky that the wind must have died down! Sailboats can tack upwind because they have a keel to redirect some of the wind's force. That doesn't work for drones; they will lose ground even faster by tacking, just like a swimmer trying to go upstream.

You were lucky that the wind must have died down! Sailboats can tack upwind because they have a keel to redirect some of the wind's force. That doesn't work for drones; they will lose ground even faster by tacking, just like a swimmer trying to go upstream.
YES!!!

And I have seen articles in drone publications wrongly advising to tack their drone back and forth, completely misunderstanding how that works with a sailboat, showing they don't even know sailing.

Tacking works because you have something to push against – the ocean – with the centerboard. As anyone who sails knows, pull that centerboard and you can't tack. You just get blown downwind.

If you find yourself in this situation flying your best chance is to fly straight line back to you. This will most efficiently use the power you have left to get back to you.

Have you ever tried it?
Tacking sends the drone on a cross vector to the wind meaning the velocity is reduced relative to head on - meaning you can make headway against it. Obviously if the wind velocity exceeds the drone max velocity at the tack angle, it's not going to help. Just like your sailboat is toast in a gale force wind.
You can zig zag your way back home using this technique if the wind is <= drone Max Velocity.
Try it before you dismiss it - it's saved my butt several times.

YES!!!

And I have seen articles in drone publications wrongly advising to tack their drone back and forth, completely misunderstanding how that works with a sailboat, showing they don't even know sailing.

Tacking works because you have something to push against – the ocean – with the centerboard. As anyone who sails knows, pull that centerboard and you can't tack. You just get blown downwind.

If you find yourself in this situation flying your best chance is to fly straight line back to you. This will most efficiently use the power you have left to get back to you.
You forget the drone motors ARE actively working against the air and are responsible for steering.
lol how do you think it moves? Some folks think it's different but if you give it some thought you'll see the similarities.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks