DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No updates

darren6270

Reactions
Got my Mavic out at the weekend, first time since before Christmas. Rather surprisingly connected and no updates, or calibrations needed. I got so fed up last year of the constant updates. Was expecting wasting a battery on updating and calibrating.
Charged up, connected and flew perfect.

Reactions: Golfez and MikeMauk
That surprises me cause I have had a few FW and GO4 app and even iOS updates since Christmas.
I was slightly concerned because unlike almost all other times there wasn't an update waiting. The app has updated a few times since Christmas but no FW updates of FlyZone updates for the Mavic itself. The Mavic itself flew fine, no drifting or unexpected behavior.
I was considering selling as I was fed up with the constant updates, spending more time waiting for updates than actual flying. But if this is the future then I will keep the bird.

I was slightly concerned because unlike almost all other times there wasn't an update waiting. The app has updated a few times since Christmas but no FW updates of FlyZone updates for the Mavic itself. The Mavic itself flew fine, no drifting or unexpected behavior.
I was considering selling as I was fed up with the constant updates, spending more time waiting for updates than actual flying. But if this is the future then I will keep the bird.
You don't need to update when the app is telling you. Simply ignore it as long as you want. Unless there's a GO update that has new functions that only are available with a current FW update (if you want all the latest goodies). Or a 'mandatory' update in case of a dangerous bug, but DJI won't admit that anyway. But if it flies OK just leave the FW as it is for as long as you decide.
The nagging is annoying, but that's all. GO is telling me to update my Inspire1 for 2 years now.

Reactions: Freebird32
The calibrations shouldn't have to be constantly performed either.

I only ever update or calibrate when told/asked by the app.
The app updates itself from the appstore.

Is the app telling you to calibrate often? If so, what exactly is it recommending you calibrate?

If you're told by the App to calibrate, first check if it not the location. Because you would calibrate wrongly, only to find out once your mavic is in the air and has cleared the magnetic interference. You than have a compass error in the air instead of on the ground.

The DJI GO app should not be telling you to calibrate the compass often (even after moving to a new location). If you're seeing compass related messages at the top of DJI GO, it's likely a warning that you're near some type of magnetic metal object. Try moving to another location to see if the error goes away.

And if you're seeing the calibrate button below, it's just a button to allow you to calibrate the compass (and not a prompt to do so).

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass-from-Aircraft-Status.jpg

Reactions: dbyantis
i'm very aware of that. I only calibrate if I receive an error message.

It's only ever when I change locations so pretty much expect to calibrate.

I calibrate the compass about 90% of the time I fly, to me it is not a big deal to spin in a circle twice, except it do get dizzy, but I feel more comfortable flying. And maybe that is the reason why I never had an issue of loosing my MP and when I perform a RTH action, the MP returns to within a few inches from where I take off. To me it is just good insurance.

And as far as FW up dates go, they have been occurring only every few months now and GO4 app updates only about every month or two. So, I would not say that there are constant updates.

And it seems that most of the updates now aren't for the MP nor MPP anyway. In the beginning it made sense that there were frequent updates, The MP is a very complicated machine and I think it is almost impossible to write the software perfectly the first time out the door, especially when it is running on such a wide range of devices, operated by people with a large range of technical expertise, located all over the world.

Out of the box, I found the MP very easy to fly and lots of fun. The only problems I have had were cause my own actions or lack of action. So Darren, I am glad you will keep you MP.

Reactions: darren6270
The new auto shots they added last summer were great. Well worth the update

Not to sure about that. I'm not to enthused about the "limiting tactics" that DJI is using to hobble the AC, NFZ issues, Quizzes before a flight, distance/speed/height limiting, etc.
I just manually fly (if I can't fly "the pattern", then I practice it for myself). Not worth the trade off....to me....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras